Why become a member? ×

Show us your rig!

ped

10 minutes ago, Lunatique said:

20200115_215112.thumb.jpg.2a52d9167e1e2fe61b3820e2f8069043.jpg

I don't gig anymore so I just need a nice practice amp. I'm using a Phil Jones Flightcase BG-150, and I have a Rane ME30B graphic equalizer to correct the room mode at my usual practice spot.

Can I just ask Sir, what bass is that in the pic? Have just begun thinking about starting on upright, that looks (with its fingerboard dots) a good place to start.

25 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Looks like an NS Design Omni Bass 5 to me!

Yes, it is indeed the NS Design Omni Bass CR5. It's a curious beast, as it's 34" scale like an normal electric bass, but the fingerboard radius is like an upright, which allows you to bow it as well. The CR models have both piezo and magnetic pickups, so it can sound like an electric fretless as well as electric upright, or a blend of both. 

The Ibanez take on this doesn't sound anywhere near what an upright sounds like. Just compare the YouTube videos of both and it's comical how far off the target the Ibanez is (and I'm saying this as an Ibanez fanboy -- four out of six of my basses are Ibanez).

Ergonomically, the NS is amazing, because not only can you put it on a tripod, you can also use the special Boomerang strap system, which allows you switch from upright position to normal horizontal/slanted electric bass position in a second.  

• Thanks 1

Another head has been added to the collection, so a new photo is warranted I say. The Orange is bigger but the Ampeg is much much heavier!

2008 British made Orange AD200B 

1997 American made Ampeg SVT II Pro

Not pictured: Barefaced 210S and Ampeg SVT810E

458AB4E3-3DFF-4BC7-B454-5E33245C8B08.jpeg

Edited by Bankai
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bit sneaky this one, it's rig three and in the lounge.  Looks like a hifi but it's dual-purpose technology.  'Odd fractious conversation if the telly's on but otherwise nice to slouch on the sofa rather than sit in the office (office rig) or toil with set-up of the main one.  Frankly sounds better than rig 2 and at least as good as 1. Apologies for the poor image quality (in a bit of a rush). I need to do a bit of decorating too... 

B2F55EB7-6F59-4C31-B771-CD2F0C4C6217.jpeg

Edited by three

• 2 weeks later...

So I recently returned to focusing on playing bass after a period on concentrating on the first instrument I ever learned how to play on, electric guitar, even if bass has been my main instrument of choice for several years, and I overall have spend much more time on playing bass than guitar. 

For some stupid reason I sold my amazing Trace Elliot GP7SM, 130 W 15" bass combo, some time ago, which I otherwise absolutely loved the tone of, after having quit a band that got nowhere, and eventually ended up buying an old Peavey XR-600B Mixer Amp, 200W @ 4 Ohm solid state amp with 6 preamp/mixer channels, cheap, which I planed to use for both bass and guitar, but as it unfortunately quickly developed some issues with the pots (afraid a proper cleaning will not be enough, and that a couple of pots needs replacement, though likely a relatively inexpensive and easy fix and definitely worth it too), but anyway, as I began concentrating more on playing guitar I got myself an amazing old Peavey Solo Special 112, 160 W solid state guitar combo amp, with the original stock 12" Scorpion speaker unit installed.

The reason why I tell this is that since I returned to focus more on playing bass again,  and as there were issues with the Peavey Mixer Amp, today I decided to hook the speaker output wires of my Peavey Solo Special Guitar amp up to a jack socket (and attached some wires to it's build in 12" speaker with a jack plug at the end, so I can always connect it back), and hooked it up to my SWR Triad I bass cab (which happens to match the impedance of my guitar amp's speaker output), that I also bought used a while back, originally intended to be used with my Peavey Mixer Amp as my bass rig.

And guess what?

The Peavey Solo Special guitar amp sounds truly amazing hooked up to a bass cab and used as a bass amp as well. 

Damn, it's good, so good I don't even really miss my beloved Trace Elliot combo, that I was stupid enough to sell. 

So here's my bass amp setup, my Peavey Solo Special 112, 160W solid state guitar combo amp, with it's build in 12" speaker unit disconnected, and instead hooked up to my SWR Triad I, 400W 4 Ohm bass cab, featuring a 15" speaker unit that receives the amp speaker output signal's full frequency range, a 10" unit that only receives the frequency content between 100Hz and up to 5kHz, and finally a high frequency tweeter, which then receives any frequency content that is above 5kHz, the output of the latter being adjustable with a tweakable attenuator build into the cab.

In front of it  is my 28,6" scale 5 string Ibanez GSRM25 Mikro Bass, with a poplar body and a bolt on maple neck with a jatoba fretboard, which has it's 2 stock J pickups wired in series, and is strung with the 5 lowest strings of an Ernie Ball Bass VI string set, gauge .090 to .030, tuned 2 half steps above regular 4 string bass, E standard, tuning, which means F# standard tuning, as in F#1 to D3, meant to be used for my solo, sort of progressive psychedelic stoner rock, project, which fundamental, primary, instrumentation is going to just consist of of bass, programmed and physically recorded drums and various percussion, as well as vocals, with the bass running though my TC Electronic Sub'N'Up Mini octaver, pitching the signal from my bass 1 octave up, which then is mixed with the unaffected bass signal, sort of giving the effect of a 10 string "octave" bass, with pairs of respectively bass and octave strings (and I actually managed to get a really good, and relatively natural sounding, octave up tone, only by using the standard stock polyphonic octaver and the EQ options the TonePrint editor offers for the input signal fed to the octave engine, as well as for the octave up output signal, with no obvious digital artifacts)  (also by the way this 5 string Mikro came from factory with perfectly completely leveled fretwork, which means I could get the string action ridiculously low if I wanted to without any fret buzz whatsoever, an extreme rarity, for not only cheap budget instruments as this is, but for mass produced instruments at any price class really).

The big pedal on the top of the amp is my always on, last in my pedal effects chain, pedal, right before the amp, an EHX Black Finger, which is a tube driven optical compressor, which 2 preamp tubes run at proper high 300V voltage, and, which adjusted right, just improves the tone of everything you run through it amazingly great :

Bass-F-Rig-030620-smallest.jpg

(Only downside, this rig is heavier than a full tube amp rig)

The reason why my pedal board has not been included is because that, while I got the main tone shaping and the octave up, "10 string "octave" bass" effect, down as good as perfect, I still need to perfect my modulation effects and high gain distortion part of my pedal setup *( Edit! : In the meantime this has partially been solved, check the update below for more information on the subject ).

I do also own both a 4 string Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro Bass and a regular 34" scale Aria Pro II Laser Electric Classic that is tuned in regular E standard tuning, but the above is what has got my main focus right at the moment. 

Update!!! :

Here's a link to another post of mine from another thread that contains a picture of my current pedal setup, including a complete signal chain description, as well as revealing what my future plans for updating it are, since my setup has changed some since this post, among other things I've gone back to mainly using my 4 string GSRM20 Mikro Bass : 

Abb-4-string-Ibanez-GSRM20-Mikro-Bass-21

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...