Why become a member? ×

Show us your rig!

ped

[quote name='BassBalls' post='127955' date='Jan 25 2008, 06:55 PM']DI'ed it mono post effects and eq into Ableton live and it sounds amazing. The best i have ever heard my bass sound!!!
Got the case from daflewis on here, top bloke to deal with. Really protects my gear well.[/quote]

That compressor looks like it's made out of lego! I mean that in a good way :)

[quote name='BassBalls' post='127955' date='Jan 25 2008, 06:55 PM']DR BASS cab on its way!!!

[attachment=5203:DSCF0044.JPG]

DI'ed it mono post effects and eq into Ableton live and it sounds amazing. The best i have ever heard my bass sound!!!
Got the case from daflewis on here, top bloke to deal with. Really protects my gear well.[/quote]

Really cool Piet Mondrian vibe going on with your compressor....erm ...rock n' roll .... I'll get my coat :)

[quote name='dood' post='127257' date='Jan 24 2008, 08:17 PM']I just had a slice of mine with a cup of tea. Nyum nyum.

I can see where they are coming from with the description above, as it is easy to get the 'butter'. Probably the first amp that I have owned that did it really. Its like a smooth upper middle sound, when using the VLE and VPF controls. As opposed to VPL which is something entirely different. However whop those 2 controls down to zero and I think the amo is in Epifani/EBS territory. Pristine and crystal clear. I have renamed the VPF to 'The Ampeg Control', as it seems to do a good impression of my SVT as you advance round, especially with a bit of external dirt added. Too far round and you have a really deep scoop with boosted lows and highs. Seems like the right bit of middle gets scooped out too.

One word that I do agree with though, is PUNCHY. Last night I disconnected my multicomp compressor. It hasnt got near the rack yet lol. The amp really will kick, not unlike my powersoft poweramp.. and that is 1K RMS a side![/quote]

Is it a neutral sounding amp, some amps, Thunderfunk for instance have a definite mid range bump to their voicing, I hate it when you have to get rid of something that's inherent to the sound before you find your sound.

I use Accugroove cabs, I want something that's modern sounding, but is flexible, I found this earlier which sounds great [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE3W58Q9dlM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE3W58Q9dlM[/url]

not my sound but it's cool, I'm into Michael Manring and Steve Lawson, that sort of thing, but I play in bands as well so flexibility is essential.

I'm hoping to get along to the Basscentre next Saturday to audition one.

Edited by 6stringbassist

[quote name='tinyviking' post='128439' date='Jan 26 2008, 08:48 PM']Since we wern't using the bass speakers from the PA I decided to do this....

Makes a difference and no mistake!
Not sure of the consequences of adding a 4 Ohm speaker to an 8 Ohm combo though.
Anyway it sounds huge! :)[/quote]

You risk frying your amp if that speaker is 4ohm - I'm assuming the internal combo speaker is 8ohm and that the amp will have a minimum load of 4ohms. Putting a 4ohm speaker with an 8ohm speaker together will most likely give you a total impedance of 2.7 ohms (if the wiring is in parallel), so unless that combo goes down to 2ohm (which is unlikely) it will probably run very hot and may well die on you!

[quote name='Wil' post='128487' date='Jan 26 2008, 11:48 PM']You risk frying your amp if that speaker is 4ohm - I'm assuming the internal combo speaker is 8ohm and that the amp will have a minimum load of 4ohms. Putting a 4ohm speaker with an 8ohm speaker together will most likely give you a total impedance of 2.7 ohms (if the wiring is in parallel), so unless that combo goes down to 2ohm (which is unlikely) it will probably run very hot and may well die on you![/quote]

oh crap! i'll have to build a BFM omni cab to replace it then! :)

I promised this last week, and now I can unveil my 2 rigs (hooray!) and I can bleat on about how chuffed i am with them and how they totally give me "my" sound. Gotta love those valves :huh:

[attachment=5236:rig2.JPG]
This is my rig for all gigs non-function band related. The combo is my latest addition to my amplifactory arsenal, and much like the other one, I love it. Nice simple pre-amp, get a really gorgoeus growl from it and it just generally sings. The 4x8"s are really cool, the sound is fuller than you'd think coz of a nice slow roll-off of LF what with it being a sealed cab. Yummy.

[attachment=5237:rig1.JPG]
My function band rig. If needed I'll add the 1x15" cab as above but never have doen yet. And yes, that is a Marshall Mode Four next to it. There's one on the other side of the stage too:

[attachment=5238:stage.JPG]
From last night's gig (everyone wave to Oli please). I have a really nasty chest infection at the mo so not entirely sure how I survived :)

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='128749' date='Jan 27 2008, 04:05 PM']This looks nice and neat - what's it sound like?[/quote]
Well only used it at home as yet, but it has bags of capacity for the LM11 delivering its full whack, the tweeter is a bit lively but has a seperate vol control to tame it, but overall i think i may have hit upon my ultimate lightweight 1 cab solution. 21kgs rougly the cab, doddle to carry and 750w at 4ohms ish.

[quote name='nash' post='129011' date='Jan 28 2008, 12:01 AM']the cab setup for my birthday gig. left to right: hughes and kettner 4x12 on top of a vader 4x12, ashdown abm 8x10 (dave ddf's) and my marshall 8x10 with my sunn 300t on top, matamp 2x12 and a CAA 4x12. it was LOUD!

[attachment=5251:rigzz.JPG][/quote]

Hmm. Looks like a 20ft room you are playing. You need more power.

[quote name='nash' post='129011' date='Jan 28 2008, 12:01 AM']the cab setup for my birthday gig. left to right: hughes and kettner 4x12 on top of a vader 4x12, ashdown abm 8x10 (dave ddf's) and my marshall 8x10 with my sunn 300t on top, matamp 2x12 and a CAA 4x12. it was LOUD!

[attachment=5251:rigzz.JPG][/quote]

Mmm Sunn, Matamp? What band you play in? I usually like LOUD bands.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my current rig.

Sunn 1200s with two matamp 4x10 cabs custom made for me.

My sunn up close. Currently going for repairs :)

And my previous rigs.

Marshall 1970's Super bass MrkII with a Marshall DBS 4X12
and a Peavey Tmax head (R.I.P) With a Peavey TX410 and Black Widow 15.

And I play two 1970's Gibson Grabber basses with various pedals trhough these. :huh:

[quote name='joegarcia' post='138986' date='Feb 12 2008, 05:59 PM']Phwoar. Those Matamp cabs look pretty impressive. What sorta spec are they?[/quote]

Yeah theyre nice! picked them up the other week. Seemingly its the first bass stuff they made for few years.
The top cab is loaded with 4x 150w speakers and the bottom cab is loaded with 4x 200w speakers for a bit more lower end.
They are LOUD. got them built for me at that spec so they could handle my sunn. Too bad my sunn's decided to f*** its self.
I just did a real short tour with them and had to use my spare peavey Mrk IV. That amp even sounded bad ass through these!
My girlfreinds getting nothing for valentines day now while my wallet heals. (I still got a good deal though but she dont understand...)