Why become a member? ×

Show us your rig!

ped

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1395680877' post='2405029']
go on tell us more about that pre! what's the design based on?
[/quote]

It's my own design, inspired by lots of other designs. The design concept is that it has a small power stage (padded to line level) to sound more like a real tube head. The power stage is currently a push-pull ecc99 (idea taken from the Firefly DIY amp project), but I intend to swap it to a SE 6L6GC.

Some closeups:

The schematic if someone's interested: [url="http://goo.gl/kbtA9k"]http://goo.gl/kbtA9k[/url]

Edited by Fredde

[quote name='Fredde' timestamp='1395687312' post='2405137']
It's my own design, inspired by lots of other designs. The design concept is that it has a small power stage (padded to line level) to sound more like a real tube head. The power stage is currently a push-pull ecc99 (idea taken from the Firefly DIY amp project), but I intend to swap it to a SE 6L6GC.

The schematic if someone's interested: [url="http://goo.gl/kbtA9k"]http://goo.gl/kbtA9k[/url]
[/quote]that's a really nice design there, loved looking at the schematic - geekily want to know what the preamp's modelled on, how does it sound? - also the small power stage - great idea - is that an original idea to implement it in a preamp? :) thanks for sharing.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1395687693' post='2405142']
that's a really nice design there, loved looking at the schematic - geekily want to know what the preamp's modelled on, how does it sound? - also the small power stage - great idea - is that an original idea to implement it in a preamp? :) thanks for sharing.
[/quote]

Thanks! The preamp is a fairly common design found in lots of amps (the Alembic F2-B for one). The only uncommon thing is the rotary-switched mid capacitor (straight copy from a Weber Amp Kit schematic, probably a copy from something else), a very nice feature to have in a bass amp.

The small power stage idea is not my invention, but it doesn't seem to be very common. I chose this approach as I wanted a tube head sound (which includes the power stage and output trafo), but no way I'm going to pay for and haul around an all-tube head with enough power to drive the fEARful cab. I'm still experimenting, and as I said, I'm going to redesign the power section for a 6L6gc and see how that works out.

[quote name='Fredde' timestamp='1395688891' post='2405166']

Thanks! The preamp is a fairly common design found in lots of amps (the Alembic F2-B for one). The only uncommon thing is the rotary-switched mid capacitor (straight copy from a Weber Amp Kit schematic, probably a copy from something else), a very nice feature to have in a bass amp.

The small power stage idea is not my invention, but it doesn't seem to be very common. I chose this approach as I wanted a tube head sound (which includes the power stage and output trafo), but no way I'm going to pay for and haul around an all-tube head with enough power to drive the fEARful cab. I'm still experimenting, and as I said, I'm going to redesign the power section for a 6L6gc and see how that works out.
[/quote]

Brilliant work! Been in the planning stages for a DIY preamp for a LONG time myself, and this is something I'd considered. The specs of the Hammond transformers put me off though - do you find they produce enough bass? The specs suggest they're very much guitar orientated with a low frequency cutoff of around 100Hz.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1395746636' post='2405679']
Brilliant work! Been in the planning stages for a DIY preamp for a LONG time myself, and this is something I'd considered. The specs of the Hammond transformers put me off though - do you find they produce enough bass? The specs suggest they're very much guitar orientated with a low frequency cutoff of around 100Hz.
[/quote]

No problem with the bass response, I usually keep the bass dial at around 50% and that's plenty for me. Bass frequency cutoff figures for transformers (and speakers etc.) are not very informative as they only tell the frequency at which the curve starts dropping, not how steep the drop is. But I will have to replace the transformer anyway whe I go for the 6L6 single ended design, and the planned trafo (Hammond 1760C) has a low cutoff of 70Hz.

[quote name='Fredde' timestamp='1395749955' post='2405723']

No problem with the bass response, I usually keep the bass dial at around 50% and that's plenty for me. Bass frequency cutoff figures for transformers (and speakers etc.) are not very informative as they only tell the frequency at which the curve starts dropping, not how steep the drop is. But I will have to replace the transformer anyway whe I go for the 6L6 single ended design, and the planned trafo (Hammond 1760C) has a low cutoff of 70Hz.
[/quote]

Yeah that's what I wondered - did the response drop like a stone below 100Hz or not. Thanks for answering that! What's prompting the 6L6 redesign, if you don't mind me asking? I'd considered a cathode-biased 18 watt push-pull output for my own design with a suitable dummy load that was defeatable so you could use the pre for practice.

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1395750688' post='2405735']
Yeah that's what I wondered - did the response drop like a stone below 100Hz or not. Thanks for answering that! What's prompting the 6L6 redesign, if you don't mind me asking? I'd considered a cathode-biased 18 watt push-pull output for my own design with a suitable dummy load that was defeatable so you could use the pre for practice.
[/quote]

The redesign is mostly because I think the distortion of the push-pull triode when overdriven is a bit harsh and sudden. I want to try how a real power tube sounds at the output.

Maybe we should move this discussion to some other thread, I'm starting to feel a bit like a hi-jacker...

Edited by Fredde

[quote name='Fredde' timestamp='1395751381' post='2405751']

The redesign is mostly because I think the distortion of the push-pull triode when overdriven is a bit harsh and sudden. I want to try how a real power tube sounds at the output.

Maybe we should move this discussion to some other thread, I'm starting to feel a bit like a hi-jacker...
[/quote]

Build Diaries forum one below this one?

Please keep us posted!

A lot going on with my amps at the moment. I love my Red Iron amp through the '69er, retro heaven. However I have recently gravitated towards a more clean fundamental sound for my band, and the Glockenklang is great at that. The Glock is currently paired with the '69er, but will soon be paired up with the Super Twin, which arrives on Monday :gas:

Then I 'accidentally' bought another head! The Trace Twin Valve popped up on BC for a very low price, and I knew it would be snapped up in minutes. I was in the middle of typing the usual "I'm not in the market, but bargain, GLWTS" post, when something made me delete that and PM the seller offering full asking price instead :blink:

...and I like it a lot! I like the 'Dualit toaster' looks, and it's not too heavy. It's really easy to carry in one hand with one of the side handles. It has been around the BC block a bit, and has a few scars; it has a couple of broken/use-the-fingernail EQ sliders and a replaced master knob.
I've not had the chance to really push the power valves yet, but it seems to be really loud with a lovely core tone. There is a mid EQ shape button which, when engaged, gets really fat (possibly scooped?) and is great for my reggae basslines.

My only trouble now is deciding which amp to gig!
I think that lack of space/money will mean that I'll have to decide which cab works best with all these heads, and return/sell the other.
Before I do that, however, I want to play the 'Power Rangers' rig at least once. This is stacking the Super Twin on top of the '69er, then put the Glock and my Crown power amp on top of that. I put the Glock pre into the Crown to get 800w into each cab, either all frequencies to both, or crossed over with Super Twin getting everything <90Hz and the '69er getting everything >90Hz

What fun :lol: :gas: :crazy:

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1395958467' post='2408494']
A lot going on with my amps at the moment. I love my Red Iron amp through the '69er, retro heaven. However I have recently gravitated towards a more clean fundamental sound for my band, and the Glockenklang is great at that. The Glock is currently paired with the '69er, but will soon be paired up with the Super Twin, which arrives on Monday :gas:

Then I 'accidentally' bought another head! The Trace Twin Valve popped up on BC for a very low price, and I knew it would be snapped up in minutes. I was in the middle of typing the usual "I'm not in the market, but bargain, GLWTS" post, when something made me delete that and PM the seller offering full asking price instead :blink:

...and I like it a lot! I like the 'Dualit toaster' looks, and it's not too heavy. It's really easy to carry in one hand with one of the side handles. It has been around the BC block a bit, and has a few scars; it has a couple of broken/use-the-fingernail EQ sliders and a replaced master knob.
I've not had the chance to really push the power valves yet, but it seems to be really loud with a lovely core tone. There is a mid EQ shape button which, when engaged, gets really fat (possibly scooped?) and is great for my reggae basslines.

My only trouble now is deciding which amp to gig!
I think that lack of space/money will mean that I'll have to decide which cab works best with all these heads, and return/sell the other.
Before I do that, however, I want to play the 'Power Rangers' rig at least once. This is stacking the Super Twin on top of the '69er, then put the Glock and my Crown power amp on top of that. I put the Glock pre into the Crown to get 800w into each cab, either all frequencies to both, or crossed over with Super Twin getting everything <90Hz and the '69er getting everything >90Hz

What fun :lol: :gas: :crazy:
[/quote]

I love my TwinValve too and totally agree that they seem to have a lot of power considering the ~100w rating. The 7-Band Trace pre-amp is a classic and the pre shape you mention is +6dB at 50Hz and 2K6 and -6dB at 400Hz. I bet it's that lovely low-Q boost at 50Hz thats working the reggae sound! :D

[quote name='lozbass' timestamp='1391958004' post='2362960']
Some gorgeous basses in that rack - is it a Carl Thompson at the back - and what are the others - very nice indeed!
[/quote]
They are all Letts custom basses (sorry for very late reply I'm not on here much)

This is what im learning to play bass with, I had the Ibanez sr300 with a tiny practice amp then joined this forum to buy the Warwick fortress. Feeling the need to do the Warwicks growl a bit more justice I got the Trace Elliot GP12SMX and now my neighbours hate me :D I had no idea how loud this was going to be . [attachment=159584:DSC_0780.jpg]

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1396565664' post='2415294']

I love my TwinValve too and totally agree that they seem to have a lot of power considering the ~100w rating. The 7-Band Trace pre-amp is a classic and the pre shape you mention is +6dB at 50Hz and 2K6 and -6dB at 400Hz. I bet it's that lovely low-Q boost at 50Hz thats working the reggae sound! :D
[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I usually have the treble fully cut on my bass, so you're right, just the prominent 50Hz would explain the great reggae tone :-)

A few shots of my rig from recording the other week. Feline Bass> Cog Grand Tarkin> Ashdown ABM 500> Barefaced Bit Twin 2. I'm very much enjoying this set up!!

[url="http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/andysalt01/media/10156843_10154013253260253_354564577_n_zps3796abab.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/andysalt01/media/10153468_10154013250465253_1566343880_n_zps436d7dfd.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/andysalt01/media/10173355_10154013251505253_908436453_n_zps0d3337c9.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/andysalt01/media/10250785_10154013254890253_2082697501_n_zpsc6665c32.jpg.html"][/url]

:D

Edited by Salt on your Bass?

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1395958467' post='2408494']

[/quote]

The Trace Twin Valve looks great on the Barefaced, real retro.
Here is my Great British set up - Orange/Barefaced/ACG.
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/yDeIrm0.jpg[/IMG]
The head is a bit too wide, maybe I need a '69er or a Vintage ;-)
Anyone fancy a trade?

[quote name='Bloc Riff Nut' timestamp='1397152764' post='2421267']

The Trace Twin Valve looks great on the Barefaced, real retro.
Here is my Great British set up - Orange/Barefaced/ACG.
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/yDeIrm0.jpg[/IMG]
The head is a bit too wide, maybe I need a '69er or a Vintage ;-)
Anyone fancy a trade?
[/quote]

Cheers BRN. May I say that that is the nicest ACG I've seen, really lovely.
You may find a '69er in the marketplace very soon ......