Why become a member? ×

Show us your rig!

ped

After some considerable time faffing with buying, selling, rebuying etc etc, I'm pretty happy with this now. Was going to sell the GK but it's just too good; it's very handy for ease of carriage and when I don't need the Fender.

My latest bass purchase is included. I can't see myself wanting anything else anytime soon 🙂

IMG_20201014_200551__01.jpg

IMG_20201014_200409__01.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, foxyFuze said:

After some considerable time faffing with buying, selling, rebuying etc etc, I'm pretty happy with this now. Was going to sell the GK but it's just too good; it's very handy for ease of carriage and when I don't need the Fender.

My latest bass purchase is included. I can't see myself wanting anything else anytime soon 🙂

IMG_20201014_200551__01.jpg

IMG_20201014_200409__01.jpg

Dats a great rig - noice

New rig for me at the moment. At lot of re jogging, selling and replacing due to covid work situation, but I'm really happy with this. Blisteringly powerful and versatile.

Ashdown ABM 600 evo iv (main head).

Ashdown RM500 (back up head).

Ashdown tone pocket for practicing.

Korg pitchblack tuner.

Line 6 G90 wireless unit.

Ashdown ABM evo iv cab.

Cheeky markbass keeper on the side to hold the bass.

Current main bass Fender Player precision.

20201015_204038.jpg

• Like 3

On 01/10/2020 at 09:34, bartelby said:

New amp means a new post in the rig thread!
This CTM-300 arrived yesterday. I've only had chance to use it for about an hour, but I'm beginning to dial in a great tone (photos don't show the current settings).
I was a little concerned about the tone stack as it's pretty subtle and my other amp is a JJB-500 whose 12 band graphic is anything but subtle. But it appears you don't need extensive tone shaping with this amp.

The only downside is it weighs as much as my 10 year old daughter. But the upside of the pandemic means I'm not going to be moving this anytime soon...

CBAD85B1-7F93-40EC-B8A3-7FA30FC6BCAC.thumb.jpeg.80e2fca787054fae4209f055abaef6c7.jpeg5E4EA907-36A9-4BF3-BA78-5FBCCAD6AE73.thumb.jpeg.16e91597d994634ade83a8bec99afec6.jpeg

Is that my old Mag 810?

Recently picked up a MB combo (CMD 121H) in the FS to leave at my folks' place in Brum, as I'm spending a bit more time up there these days to give them a bit of support. Forgotten how good value and quality these MB combos are - for £400 (used) it's considerably less than the second hand cost of my separates! 

One of the features of MB cabs is that they tend to have a little high frequency roll off, which some folk love as being the signature 'warm' MB sound. I personally prefer a brighter / 'flatter' top end and it seems that the Tech 21 VTDI pedal + MB Combo is a marriage made in heaven to deliver this - highly recommend.

If I had discovered that particular pairing a few years back I suspect I might not have let go my MB AC 121 Lite, which is still one of the best combos out there and one of the very few that can deliver a full 500W through it's own single 12" speaker, without the need for an extension cab. 

Markbass rig.jpg

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 5

Some awesome rigs in this thread. 

Here's mine currently; EBMM Sterling HH > under-contruction pedalboard > Genz Benz ShuttleMax 12.2 > Ashdown ABM410.

Plenty, though I wouldn't mind adding an ABM210 for modular set up...

IMG_20201025_204455_740.jpg

Edited by Ramsay777
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished putting my new rig together. 

Warwick Hellborg preamp

Warwick Hellborg Mono 500w power amp

Warwick Hellborg Hi Cab (2x12)

Warwick Hellborg Lo Cab (1x15)

joined by my 97 streamer LX

Complete U-turn for me as far as rig philosophy is concerned in that its heavy as hell, but it sounds incredible 

84D396AE-EA41-4FEC-A5AB-F708381F3D67.jpeg

Edited by funkypenguin
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, funkypenguin said:

Warwick Hellborg preamp

Complete U-turn for me as far as rig philosophy is concerned in that its heavy as hell, but it sounds incredible 

You like Warwick then I presume?

11 minutes ago, funkypenguin said:

Warwick Hellborg preamp

So heavy, the sheer gravity of the rig prevented you from taking a photo?!

Come on man, you knows the rules - pics or it didn’t happen!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

@funkypenguin Youngest is not fussed about bass gear but has a keen eye for spotting a UCS Imperial Star Destroyer... The Force is strong in my youngest!

Well spotted! The force is indeed strong with your youngest!

The Star Destroyer was a present from my better half, she remembered me staring at the same model in the lego store in NYC while we were on our honeymoon last year. I wasn't in a position to buy it then and it would been hell trying to get it back to the UK, but she remembered it and surprised me with it last month! My desk has now been repurposed until I can find a suitable display case for it! Once we eventually get into a house of our own in the next couple of years, this and my UCS X wing will make quite a nice pair in my home studio!

• Like 1

After doing some hard thinking over that last few weeks I decided to do a bit of downsizing. I’ve donated the Ashdown 8x10” and a Laney 4x10” to a local music venue. They will be used as in house backline, once gigs happen again, and also in their new recording studio they’re setting up in their basement.

So for now my rig is this (apologies in advance to those of a sensitive nature):

8E4DDF05-2DBC-4FF5-BA30-A497BD7EA315.thumb.jpeg.e62cc189cab188015fb139a9f57b7847.jpeg

it sounds bloody good. In fact I prefer it to the 8x10”. Next year I’ll be looking for something new, cab wise. Not decided on what yet...

18 minutes ago, bartelby said:

After doing some hard thinking over that last few weeks I decided to do a bit of downsizing. I’ve donated the Ashdown 8x10” and a Laney 4x10” to a local music venue. They will be used as in house backline, once gigs happen again, and also in their new recording studio they’re setting up in their basement.

So for now my rig is this (apologies in advance to those of a sensitive nature):

8E4DDF05-2DBC-4FF5-BA30-A497BD7EA315.thumb.jpeg.e62cc189cab188015fb139a9f57b7847.jpeg

it sounds bloody good. In fact I prefer it to the 8x10”. Next year I’ll be looking for something new, cab wise. Not decided on what yet...

What cabs are they?

18 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

What cabs are they?

IIRC, they’re cabs that were made for the Ashdown ABM mini range (4x8” and 1x15”). But were left overs when they updated the design. So got loaded with Celestions. They had white piping on, but I changed that to yellow to match the Mark Bass head I was using at the time.

• Like 1

On 06/11/2020 at 15:14, funkypenguin said:

Warwick Hellborg preamp

84D396AE-EA41-4FEC-A5AB-F708381F3D67.jpeg

Superb rig and fabulous with the six string I’d imagine.  My favourite pre but interesting to hear how you get on with the power amp. I’m on my third (stereo 250) and find that they impart some harmonic colour, a kind of fine grit. Musical but a bit unexpected - I tend to use my pre through the back end of a db750 where complete cleanliness is required.  I hope that you have sound floors. A very substantial stack (and if you need to add a few pounds, I think that Thomann still have a few of the Warwick dedicated 3u cases). Lovely to see the complete set - stunning!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, three said:

Superb rig and fabulous with the six string I’d imagine.  My favourite pre but interesting to hear how you get on with the power amp. I’m on my third (stereo 250) and find that they impart some harmonic colour, a kind of fine grit. Musical but a bit unexpected - I tend to use my pre through the back end of a db750 where complete cleanliness is required.  I hope that you have sound floors. A very substantial stack (and if you need to add a few pounds, I think that Thomann still have a few of the Warwick dedicated 3u cases). Lovely to see the complete set - stunning!

It works beautifully with my 6 string. Its a great sounding bass regardless of the amp, but through this rig it sounds rich and sweet in a totally new way. I haven't cranked it yet for obvious reasons but can't wait to see how it sounds in a bigger room where I can push it a little!

It's interesting you mention the power amp, I discovered the exact same thing. I played through a Hellborg rig back in 2008/9, but was in a room with a bunch of other gear (trade show) so didn't notice the harmonic grit. I wasn't sure if it was a fault or not so I went back to an old copy of bass player mag where they reviewed this rig (club cab rather than Hi Cab) and they mentioned this very characteristic. Its certainly unique and takes some getting used to, but adds a lovely warmth to the sound, especially after the transformers have fully warmed up. I've never played through anything that has this blend of warmth and clarity, and the dynamic range and attack are amazing. 

Really happy to have the dream rig assembled! obviously it still has to pass the acid test of being gigged, but the signs are very encouraging!

ben

• Like 1