ped

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, fuzzonaut said:

My corner in the rehearsal room:

Musicman HD130 & Ampeg Isovent

Sunn 200s & Acoustic 301

RW O))) (200s replica) & Musicman 1x15 / EV 1x15

P1030553.thumb.jpeg.c33f8cdb3926dd536685f42aafef9bd2.jpeg

Very cool and great use of the ironing board ☝️you’ve really got some pedals there 

• Like 2

Creeping up an an all DIY setup, just have to build myself a bass and learn pickup winding now. Newest piece is the tube amp, 100 watts switchable to 60. I have the preamp section mostly ready to go but I wanted to audition several different DIY and commercial ones before committing to drilling a bunch more holes. Then it's on to a natural finish wood headcase, I reckon.

PW100B_PW7B.JPG.5b24c5c6eba4814bb8d474fce9e28c3a.JPG

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

New amp means a new post in the rig thread!
This CTM-300 arrived yesterday. I've only had chance to use it for about an hour, but I'm beginning to dial in a great tone (photos don't show the current settings).
I was a little concerned about the tone stack as it's pretty subtle and my other amp is a JJB-500 whose 12 band graphic is anything but subtle. But it appears you don't need extensive tone shaping with this amp.

The only downside is it weighs as much as my 10 year old daughter. But the upside of the pandemic means I'm not going to be moving this anytime soon...

CBAD85B1-7F93-40EC-B8A3-7FA30FC6BCAC.thumb.jpeg.80e2fca787054fae4209f055abaef6c7.jpeg5E4EA907-36A9-4BF3-BA78-5FBCCAD6AE73.thumb.jpeg.16e91597d994634ade83a8bec99afec6.jpeg

• Like 5

On 05/06/2020 at 20:02, Jus Lukin said:

Five rigs in one spot! Components can be chopped and changed, but these are the most common setups:

Fender Rumble Studio 40: A combo with everything in the one box. It's small, light, needs nothing more than power and instrument cables and pumps out more volume than expected. The effects and amp sims are all great, and with the two sets of guys I play with most, who are very sensible on volume, it can manage a pub gig with aplomb.

Ashdown CTM-30 and AAA-115t: Classic low-wattage valve amp, filling that Ampeg b15 slot in the collection. That said, it sounds more 'British' somehow, perhaps more Vox or WEM. Perhaps it's those EL84s? It's got a rich, round voice, and flubs and grumbles as it overdrives.

Bugera 1960 and Palmer 2x12 with Eminence S2012s: Basically, a 100w Marshall! I used to play it through a 4x12, but it was too loud to really get the amp cooking onstage. Halving the driver count was a lockdown project so I haven't had a chance to really open up the throttle yet. The amp is forceful with that brash, gritty breakup, and the cab seems to have rolled off highs and lows with a 'shouty' midrange- exactly what I was after! Should be ideal for dirty, roundwound-y sounds from the Precision and Ric. Can't wait to take it for a proper spin!

Markbass LMII and Barefaced Super Midget: Honestly, this would happily do 99.99% of anything I'll ever need (but where's the fun in that?)! Amp and cab both seem flat and clean to me, with plenty of power between them. Whether going for DI'd tones or using an amp sim, the rig is faithful to what goes in. I can set up a sound on my studio monitors and have it transfer accurately across, and I find the EQ great for tuning to the room. Light and powerful, it's only hit its limits in a couple of extreme situations.

Rack and Barefaced Big Twin II: The juggernaut! Fender tuner, Sansamp VT Rack, Crown XLS1502. The Sansamp can be completely bypassed, offer a clean, flat tone with 3 band EQ, or a great Ampeg sim. Bridged, the Crown is good for 1550w, and the LR filters, designed for use as crossovers, can be used as an end of chain high-pass. Although I often like to have subtractive EQ and compression at the front end, it is good to know that I have all the basics in one 'head', and a rig which can handle anything I ask of it. As convenient as little rigs are, there is still a lot to be said for a visually imposing rig, and this setup is more flexible and much lighter than many of the other options.

Amps.thumb.jpg.1fa464d6b7ab6eeb18113bf479f0e8aa.jpg

With regards to the Bugera, do you think it has enough bass response? 

4 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Surprisingly so, through the Barefaced cabs. I usually start with the EQ as flat as possible, with Mids at max and Treble and Bass at minimum, which is a fine tone for a standard covers gig.

I had the 4x12 to make it really sound like an old school rig, but even that was too clean and big sounding at the volumes I play at- the fact that I have gone down as far as a sealed guitar 2x12 to throttle it into a grind machine says a fair bit! 😄

I wouldn't use it for a super clean, very low-heavy sound, but through modern cabs it is very usable in standard bass-tone situations.

I had a Carlsbro 50 Top guitar head and that sounded great with bass. A lot of people dont realize you can get that valve tone with bass using a guitar head so long as the transformers in the amp are up to it.  

On 01/10/2020 at 09:34, bartelby said:

New amp means a new post in the rig thread!
This CTM-300 arrived yesterday. I've only had chance to use it for about an hour, but I'm beginning to dial in a great tone (photos don't show the current settings).
I was a little concerned about the tone stack as it's pretty subtle and my other amp is a JJB-500 whose 12 band graphic is anything but subtle. But it appears you don't need extensive tone shaping with this amp.

The only downside is it weighs as much as my 10 year old daughter. But the upside of the pandemic means I'm not going to be moving this anytime soon...

CBAD85B1-7F93-40EC-B8A3-7FA30FC6BCAC.thumb.jpeg.80e2fca787054fae4209f055abaef6c7.jpeg5E4EA907-36A9-4BF3-BA78-5FBCCAD6AE73.thumb.jpeg.16e91597d994634ade83a8bec99afec6.jpeg

That Aria is a thing of beauty

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Clarky said:

Aha. Like Cliff's original then, on which the (very expensive!) reissue was based. Lovely

Yep. I’d love to get an original black SB1000 too but those seem rarer than the SB BnG.

The Aria through the CTM-300 is absolutely mighty!

• Like 1

On 27/09/2020 at 13:27, E sharp said:

Got myself a smaller rig for the new Northern Soul outfit .

So 3 different rigs now , but can mix and match .

No idea how I've ended up with so much gear - I'm supposed to be scaling down

bergantino.jpeg

Yummy! What are your other 2 rigs?! 

39 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

Yummy! What are your other 2 rigs?! 

Eden WT400 and 410XLT . Then Mesa 412 and rack .

Truth be told  even though I've only had one rehearsal with the Handbox , I'm not sure if it's for me or not - wait and see .

40 minutes ago, Bigwan said: