Why become a member? ×

Show us your rig!

ped

14 hours ago, stewblack said:

I'm concerned that as I get older I might become less adventurous, more (small c) conservative, and happy to settle for tame little rigs. 

So I'm working on this three amp, three cab set up. Not only is it enormous fun, but actually sounds fabulous. I think of it as the Big Man Ting, Jamaican slang for no joke, which this rig certainly is. BMT also refers to Bass Middle Top which loosely is how it works. 

Trace head into 1X15 with eq pushing 60 and 100hz. BX4500 into 2x10 with tweeter bass cut mid boosted. TCE BG250 into 1X10 with horn bass cut to the bone treble and mids pushed. 

I shall be using three different effects set ups too but not finalised what will go where yet. I suspect I'll dirty up the top and use HPF on top and mid. Envelope and distortions on mid only to preserve the bottom end - that kind of thing. 

15781615445763667898749235705506.thumb.jpg.c6e4a14d84ad1de127600a3ba0f8e35b.jpg

you're reacting well to your band leader suggesting you all switch to IEM and not amps... which stage are you at now? denial? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/01/2020 at 18:13, stewblack said:

I'm concerned that as I get older I might become less adventurous, more (small c) conservative, and happy to settle for tame little rigs. 

So I'm working on this three amp, three cab set up. Not only is it enormous fun, but actually sounds fabulous. I think of it as the Big Man Ting, Jamaican slang for no joke, which this rig certainly is. BMT also refers to Bass Middle Top which loosely is how it works. 

Trace head into 1X15 with eq pushing 60 and 100hz. BX4500 into 2x10 with tweeter bass cut mid boosted. TCE BG250 into 1X10 with horn bass cut to the bone treble and mids pushed. 

I shall be using three different effects set ups too but not finalised what will go where yet. I suspect I'll dirty up the top and use HPF on top and mid. Envelope and distortions on mid only to preserve the bottom end - that kind of thing. 

15781615445763667898749235705506.thumb.jpg.c6e4a14d84ad1de127600a3ba0f8e35b.jpg

An interesting setup, have you considered how you will transfer that sound you see into the FOH so the effect you are seeking is getting is heard by the crowd. I have had a dabble in bi-amping a few years back when gigging at a venue run by my band's sound engineer so we had time to get it all set up and it sounded great. I was/still am trying to get the cleanest  HIFI sound from my gear, i dont use effects yet and  i have separate pickup outs so each went to its own cab through individual pre amps and a stereo power amp. Two DI's from the bass and each cab mic'd up and  It sounded great in the venue. Next time i try it i will be using my barefaced cabs instead of mesa boogie PH cabs and a roland Jc120 on the HF crossover output of one of the preamps.  it would be good to hear how your setup works live.

Edited by jazzyvee
change

3 hours ago, jazzyvee said:

An interesting setup, have you considered how you will transfer that sound you see into the FOH so the effect you are seeking is getting is heard by the crowd. I have had a dabble in bi-amping a few years back when gigging at a venue run by my band's sound engineer so we had time to get it all set up and it sounded great. I was/still am trying to get the cleanest  HIFI sound from my gear, i dont use effects yet and  i have separate pickup outs so each went to its own cab through individual pre amps and a stereo power amp. Two DI's from the bass and each cab mic'd up and  It sounded great in the venue. Next time i try it i will be using my barefaced cabs instead of mesa boogie PH cabs and a roland Jc120 on the HF crossover output of one of the preamps.  it would be good to hear how your setup works live.

At the moment I've not gigged the whole thing. I'm not playing venues with full PA at present, those days seem to be behind me for now. But you never know. I'd need a bit of time and a willing engineer but it would be fun. For the sake of portability I may start off just gigging with two Barefaced compacts and my Trace Elliot AH500x as that has two amps in the one box and does all the crossover business for me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Passinwind said:

Just reacquired this DIY modular preamp/amp build from 2015. Traded away an even older modular rack build for it, as my luthier freind already has one of my similar all in one amps and the pictured rig was a bit redundant.

Padstack1.jpg

Always a pleasure to see pics of your work!

• Like 1

An update: although my Peavey 4x10 was a great cab, I didn't need something that size when I'm only playing at home. I sold it with the intention of buying a Peavey 1x15 that would have matched my head, but got a message when the buyer was just minutes from my house to say that the Peavey had been sold. I picked up an Ashdown MAG 115 for fairly cheap but aesthetically I didn't like it (my amp is essentially furniture at this point), so when this Ampeg B115 popped up on Facebook for a fairly cheap price, I jumped on it. It looks much better with the Peavey and sounds pretty good too, although the Ashdown was louder than the Ampeg with the same settings on the head.

IMG_20200219_235622.jpg

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Soledad said:

Glorious. Given I'm a bit OCD, tell us why one black cab and one silver?

Because apparently that's all they had left when I bought them! I bought them from guitarguitar and they were advertised as both silver, they called up just prior to dispatch to say one was black. I'm currently in discussions for them to take the black one back (for a few reasons) and replace it with a correct silver one. So hopefully they'll be matched in a few weeks!

• Haha 1