Why become a member? ×

Show us your rig!

ped

My main live rig is the GB 900 with a GB 8812 cab (a 12, 2 x 8s and a horn) - and I like it.
But I wanted a smaller more 'hi-fi' option for 'unplugged' / lower levels, and fretless mainly.
Looked at BareFaced a while and I know they are much loved, but just got a PJB 6b Neo.
Wow, this is good. Happy now.
I have a smaller head coming for the PJB but even before it arrives I think it was a mistake - the 900 sounds so good all-flat, and I can turn it down. The PJB is rated 300 @6 Ohm, I'll prob never show it more than around a hundred anyway.

pjb1.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Eclectic electric...

9 years ago I took up bass.  My first kit was a borrowed Squier P bass into a knackered amp with a bad hum and a speaker (I wot not size).  Nice bass rubbish amp.  40+ basses later and probably 5 rigs....

...and we're a Vintage unlined fretless 940FL with two amps and two cabs.  Basic kit is Markbass LM2 and 112 Traveller. The Ashdown 15 and MAG 300 are my reserve and for when I want faux upright (although the MB will do that too)

I'm more impressed than I thought I'd be with Ashdown. Their service is super cool, and value for money commendable (head for 150 and cab for 50, 2nd hand).  But MB for me is spot on and in another league for what I want. 

IMG_2196.JPG

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

head for 150 and cab for 50, 2nd hand)

That was a bargain lownote, ☝️ I also have the Ashdown mag head , and the 115 deep cab (on the right) and the markbass ny 115 , which I mix n match, even the mags compressor isn’t bad. 

639BFD49-8A35-4A2F-B600-72F4497A6393.jpeg

• Like 2

New year, new rig 😎

I have been looking at getting an old Trace head for a while and this beauty came up for sale here along with the EBS cab. Huge sound and huge smiles all round, though probably not from the neighbours. It sounds epic using a Precision with flats, just so much punch! Love it. 

IMG_0065.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bigthumb said:

New year, new rig 😎

I have been looking at getting an old Trace head for a while and this beauty came up for sale here along with the EBS cab. Huge sound and huge smiles all round, though probably not from the neighbours. It sounds epic using a Precision with flats, just so much punch! Love it. 

IMG_0065.jpg

Nice amp! Always wanted to get my hands on a TE amp but they are pretty rare where I am in Canda. I barely ever see them. 

• Like 1

On 01/01/2020 at 14:14, bigthumb said:

New year, new rig 😎

IMG_0065.jpg

My back hurts looking at that pic!

• Haha 1

I've not really had a chance to fire it up properly as we've not had a practice since before Xmas, but just from home use it is definitely a formidable rig. The Mesa is concise and clear and all sorts of ferociously loud and the PJB cabs provide a very articulate outlet for all that Mesa power. Can't fault it as yet! 

I'm concerned that as I get older I might become less adventurous, more (small c) conservative, and happy to settle for tame little rigs. 

So I'm working on this three amp, three cab set up. Not only is it enormous fun, but actually sounds fabulous. I think of it as the Big Man Ting, Jamaican slang for no joke, which this rig certainly is. BMT also refers to Bass Middle Top which loosely is how it works. 

Trace head into 1X15 with eq pushing 60 and 100hz. BX4500 into 2x10 with tweeter bass cut mid boosted. TCE BG250 into 1X10 with horn bass cut to the bone treble and mids pushed. 

I shall be using three different effects set ups too but not finalised what will go where yet. I suspect I'll dirty up the top and use HPF on top and mid. Envelope and distortions on mid only to preserve the bottom end - that kind of thing. 

15781615445763667898749235705506.thumb.jpg.c6e4a14d84ad1de127600a3ba0f8e35b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stewblack said:

I'm concerned that as I get older I might become less adventurous, more (small c) conservative, and happy to settle for tame little rigs. 

So I'm working on this three amp, three cab set up. Not only is it enormous fun, but actually sounds fabulous. I think of it as the Big Man Ting, Jamaican slang for no joke, which this rig certainly is. BMT also refers to Bass Middle Top which loosely is how it works. 

Trace head into 1X15 with eq pushing 60 and 100hz. BX4500 into 2x10 with tweeter bass cut mid boosted. TCE BG250 into 1X10 with horn bass cut to the bone treble and mids pushed. 

I shall be using three different effects set ups too but not finalised what will go where yet. I suspect I'll dirty up the top and use HPF on top and mid. Envelope and distortions on mid only to preserve the bottom end - that kind of thing. 

15781615445763667898749235705506.thumb.jpg.c6e4a14d84ad1de127600a3ba0f8e35b.jpg

Bit fo a Trace fan, eh? That meets my 'frighten the cat' approval test 🙂 , although I'm not sure my big rig would work vertically...

1097064954_DoubleStack.thumb.JPG.3a6fce77895784a68302862816c7f009.JPG

• Like 2