Why become a member? ×

Show us your rig!

ped

38 minutes ago, Kamiel said:

How is that little bastard? I'm thinking about buying it as an extra amp, but really don't know if it's worth it... :)

I love it! Great for home use but also awesome for gigs if you like it really gnarly. The Spyder 550 is basically the same preamp with an ABM poweramp and that’s also wonderful, but I’ve only had it a day so can’t comment on it in a gig situation. I suspect it’ll be significantly cleaner ;)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Cool

What settings and strings you using?

A bit of upper mid boost to add some presence to the inherently dark short scale tone, pulled back the lows and treble a touch, and a healthy dose of compression. 

Strings are La Bella S500L's. 

17 minutes ago, Osiris said:

Here's a gratuitous shot of my cheap practice set up, a £30 amp with a £50 bass. For creative home use on a budget only. 

IMG_20190811_110226166.jpg

Might just be a £50 bass which I assume is used rather than new - and a testimony to your negotiation skills(!), but it has a much liked reverse PJ config, which is a rarity on my fav brand of PJs (only seem to be available on the 4 string 'MA' Yammy BBs) although obviously a more standard feature on the (not £50!) Bergs.

20 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Might just be a £50 bass which I assume is used rather than new - and a testimony to your negotiation skills(!), but it has a much liked reverse PJ config, which is a rarity on my fav brand of PJs (only seem to be available on the 4 string 'MA' Yammy BBs) although obviously a more standard feature on the (not £50!) Bergs.

Both bought used, I prefer to buy new so you don't have to chisel the various solidified secretions of the previous owner off before feeling comfortable but these we at prices that I couldn't refuse. Both punch well above their weight too. 

The reverse P is great as is the fact that the bridge pickup is closer to the neck than the standard positioning means that it's useful too, I find the standard positioning of bridge pickups gives a sound that's too thin and nasal for my tastes. 

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Here's mine:

Rig - 1908.jpg

I assume that much of this collection was bought used too? 

On 15/05/2019 at 11:52, bassmayhem said:

What power amp? Class D? They say "Class A/B power supply", but not a word about the power amp. It looks good anyway. :) 
What is your opinion about the somewhat unorthodox eq section? Two bands and contour...

This is a 3x12ax7 preamp and mosfet poweramp. Leszek from Handbox don't make class D amps (although he made one for tests for some Polish bass players - I checked it out and it was absolutely the best class D. And maby even better than many hybrid amps you can get on market like those SWR, Eden's from 90's etc. But of course I never be a fan of class D and never was. And Leszek don't wanna make class D too even if his class D really kickass. But he's not  a class D fan at all and I can't "force" him to change his mind :P Probably in this sad times of class D mania he will earn more money on class D amps than on hybrids and alltubes but he is a real deal and he really cares about his gear and brand). This eq section is very simple. It's a James eq. Cut/Boost Bass and Treble. Contour just cut some freq @1k 0 to -12db - nice when you wanna make bass more "woolly" than "harsh". Here's the answer for your question (look at the pic). As you can see this amp has a lot of mids. Even on flat settings have some bump on mids from about 100-800hz. This is absolutelly not a "smile" eq amp. Of course you can get that with boost bas and treble but in flat and cut bass and treble there's A LOT of mids. Leszek knows that real cut through is in the mid freq and in quality of signa chain of whole amp. That's why he choose James eq than "standard" bass, mid, treble. I asked him once why there's no mid knob and he said that he has too much "unwanted things" in signal chain which makes this amp dull and he want to get the best sounding amp possible so he makes things different. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I really love this gear and as I said, in world of class D the real hybrid or alltube is a gold! :) It's great that there's a company that don't forget hybrid and alltubes. 

hbeq.jpg

Edited by jb90
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Osiris said:

I assume that much of this collection was bought used too? 

Yup indeed - all used or end of line! Apart from the Fearless F112, which sneaks into the frame. That was purely 'cos I wanted a particular finish / grille on that cab (and it obviously also avoided the need for me to "chisel the various solidified secretions of the previous owner off before feeling comfortable" 😁 )

What's the make / model of your bass?

Edited by Al Krow