Why become a member? ×

ELECTRICS AND BASS TO TRADE FOR YOUR BASS!

CHARLIE-BROWNE

Hi all

further to a post a while ago I have been nosing around bass listings / specs for a few weeks now - as a ladeee electric guitar player I fancy a whirl on the 4 stringer but with small hands and a crocked shoulder from skiing and silly non muso pastimes I need something with a skinny neck and lightish - so i am thinking Jazz bass / aerodyne etc I am liking white basses and block inlays & definitely only 4 string beyond that as a newby like electrics I will no doubt try trade and try again until i find something that suits!

If you are interested I have for trade:

Gibson Les Paul studio with ebony fingerboard 1990 in alpine white (naturally!)
1970s Ovation Preacher solid body
Gibson Nighthawk Goldtop 1996- only 30 made apparently!
Vigier strat (cream/white - again!)
Fender P bass USA with racing stripe and maple board - I havent seen ones with a racing stripe so think they are rare-ish - any info welcome! - all I know is I think the Pbass neck is a bit chunky for me and its heavy-ish (prob normal weight but remember i usually play an 8lb electric !)

Anyway - over to the experts! thanks :)

[quote name='CHARLIE-BROWNE' post='955274' date='Sep 13 2010, 07:45 PM']I need something with a skinny neck and lightish - so i am thinking Jazz bass / aerodyne etc I am liking white basses and block inlays & definitely only 4 string beyond that as a newby like electrics I will no doubt try trade and try again until i find something that suits![/quote]

Hiya

You might want to have a look at [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=101778"]a Lakland Duck Dunn[/url]. It's basically a Precision with a Jazz neck on. I had one and sold it, cos the thin neck didn't work with my big hands, but they're lovely basses.

[quote name='tredders' post='955284' date='Sep 13 2010, 07:49 PM']Hiya

You might want to have a look at [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=101778"]a Lakland Duck Dunn[/url]. It's basically a Precision with a Jazz neck on. I had one and sold it, cos the thin neck didn't work with my big hands, but they're lovely basses.[/quote]

thanks - i actually did see this one and liked - if it were in white the visa would have been out in an instant! With you saying they are good for wee-mitts I will add to the list as they do look good -thanks

[quote name='CHARLIE-BROWNE' post='955274' date='Sep 13 2010, 07:45 PM']Hi all

further to a post a while ago I have been nosing around bass listings / specs for a few weeks now - as a ladeee electric guitar player I fancy a whirl on the 4 stringer but with small hands and a crocked shoulder from skiing and silly non muso pastimes I need something with a skinny neck and lightish - so i am thinking Jazz bass / aerodyne etc I am liking white basses and block inlays & definitely only 4 string beyond that as a newby like electrics I will no doubt try trade and try again until i find something that suits!

Fender P bass USA with racing stripe and maple board - I havent seen ones with a racing stripe so think they are rare-ish - any info welcome! - all I know is I think the Pbass neck is a bit chunky for me and its heavy-ish (prob normal weight but remember i usually play an 8lb electric !)

Anyway - over to the experts! thanks :)[/quote]

You might consider a Fender Jaguar Bass, very thin neck, active/passive, block inlays, superb Bass, only slight drawback is that it doesn't always balance very well when playing, depends on your playing stance though I guess. I have one myself, but am considering letting it go for a traditional Jazz body, breaks my heart as it's a stunning Bass, both in looks and sound.

Mark

[quote name='The GroovyPlucker' post='955630' date='Sep 14 2010, 01:06 AM']You might consider a Fender Jaguar Bass, very thin neck, active/passive, block inlays, superb Bass, only slight drawback is that it doesn't always balance very well when playing, depends on your playing stance though I guess. I have one myself, but am considering letting it go for a traditional Jazz body, breaks my heart as it's a stunning Bass, both in looks and sound.

Mark[/quote]

hi there

i play a 60s Jaguar (really carefully!) and they are very cool looking things - if yours were white or sonic blue would be interested!

[quote name='CHARLIE-BROWNE' post='955274' date='Sep 13 2010, 07:45 PM']Hi all

Anyway - over to the experts! thanks :)[/quote]

Hi Charlie Brown,

Have you considered a Fender Mustang? If your used to playing a standard electric you might just take to the short scale (30") a lot easier plus they really don't weigh much at all, my one is 8.2 lbs (bathroom scales).

You could pick up a Mustang on evelbay or ask the Basschatters if they have one to swap / sell. The American Mustang might be a tad lighter than the Japanese ones as they have a contoured body, just a guess. I think youl'' pay a good bit more for an American Mustang but honestly the CIJ Mustangs are excellent.

This is my Mustang after it had a re-furb: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=95003&hl=Mustang"]Oggies Baby[/url] Not for sale though, she's a keeper.

I've had my one for several months now and love the slim neck and the P thump with flat wounds, with round wounds and the EQ on most modern amps I'm pretty sure you could get the sounds you want.

Oggy :rolleyes:

[quote name='CHARLIE-BROWNE' post='956569' date='Sep 14 2010, 09:24 PM']hi there

i play a 60s Jaguar (really carefully!) and they are very cool looking things - if yours were white or sonic blue would be interested![/quote]

Hi,

The Bass version only comes in Black, White or Red, but the Red is the sexy beast of the bunch, it turns some heads, and it's the slimmest neck of any Fender I've played, almost like a strat, I have small hands so it's a breeze. The Mustang the other basschatter mentioned is a good bet, as long as the reissues aren't as heavy as the originals. I had a 1978 and it weighed a ton! Not a lot of tonal variation with them though unless you modify them, which can be tricky. You might also consider a Fender Precision Lyte, they were made in the early 90's, I had the deluxe version, they are active and as the name suggests are incredibly light. Good luck with the hunt

[quote name='The GroovyPlucker' post='956796' date='Sep 15 2010, 01:26 AM']Hi,

The Bass version only comes in Black, White or Red, but the Red is the sexy beast of the bunch, it turns some heads, and it's the slimmest neck of any Fender I've played, almost like a strat, I have small hands so it's a breeze. The Mustang the other basschatter mentioned is a good bet, as long as the reissues aren't as heavy as the originals. I had a 1978 and it weighed a ton! Not a lot of tonal variation with them though unless you modify them, which can be tricky. You might also consider a Fender Precision Lyte, they were made in the early 90's, I had the deluxe version, they are active and as the name suggests are incredibly light. Good luck with the hunt[/quote]

thanks for the info its all much appreciated :)

[quote name='Oggy' post='956623' date='Sep 14 2010, 10:00 PM']Hi Charlie Brown,

Have you considered a Fender Mustang? If your used to playing a standard electric you might just take to the short scale (30") a lot easier plus they really don't weigh much at all, my one is 8.2 lbs (bathroom scales).

You could pick up a Mustang on evelbay or ask the Basschatters if they have one to swap / sell. The American Mustang might be a tad lighter than the Japanese ones as they have a contoured body, just a guess. I think youl'' pay a good bit more for an American Mustang but honestly the CIJ Mustangs are excellent.

This is my Mustang after it had a re-furb: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=95003&hl=Mustang"]Oggies Baby[/url] Not for sale though, she's a keeper.

I've had my one for several months now and love the slim neck and the P thump with flat wounds, with round wounds and the EQ on most modern amps I'm pretty sure you could get the sounds you want.

Oggy :)[/quote]

hi Oggy

I have had mustang electrics in the past and they are v light also - great tip -i will keep a lookout thanks

This might sound like a silly suggestion, but if you find your ideal bass and it's not white - you could easily get it re-sprayed! Better than taking the first white one that comes up and finding that it doesn't play as well as you'd hoped...

Just a thought!

This might sound like a silly suggestion, but if you find your ideal bass and it's not white - you could easily get it re-sprayed! Better than taking the first white one that comes up and finding that it doesn't play as well as you'd hoped...

Just a thought!

[quote name='BassJase' post='956849' date='Sep 15 2010, 07:57 AM']They're pretty rare to but these days but the original Fender Stu Hamm Urge basses are lovely, 32" scale, nice slim neck and sound amazing.
Good luck girl, and good to hear of another lady bass player joining the ranks, there's just not enough out there![/quote]

oo never heard of that one - must google....thanks for the suggestion :)

[quote name='CHARLIE-BROWNE' post='957495' date='Sep 15 2010, 06:19 PM']oo never heard of that one - must google....thanks for the suggestion :)[/quote]

thanks to all for the advice and help - its really helped me focus on appropriate choices - i just need to see if the way I play siz string helps or hinders in the 4 string department :rolleyes:

[quote name='CHARLIE-BROWNE' post='959074' date='Sep 17 2010, 07:29 AM']thanks to all for the advice and help - its really helped me focus on appropriate choices - i just need to see if the way I play siz string helps or hinders in the 4 string department :)[/quote]

any slim jazz necked block inlays in white any make but Squire considered - have some qualideee elecs to trade cash either side :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

You may want to consider this:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=88795"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=88795[/url]

thats for sale- '67 Hofner, very nice looking, in off-white, short-scale. Theres a sound clip posted. im afraid I cant vouch for anything though!

My other recommendation would be a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, which has a really very thin neck, but is full scale and doesn't come in white. I wouldn't however get too hung up on looking for short scale.

hi

thanks for the tip - the Hofner has the look - and I may cogitate on that one for sale - I love the Geddy Lee reverse coloured neck blocks and play a white Gibson with blocks hence the twinning idea for my first stab at bass ...! I know its not about the look but i am female so its an allowable weakness surely !

thanks again :)

Some people loves Squiers on here, I'm playing a CV Jazz wth flatwounds on and I absolutely love it..a knife through butter!

There are a few Squiers which will easily give Fender MIM's a run for their money.

Think the best advice is to go and try some !

Good luck with the search

Dave

[quote name='daveybass' post='972141' date='Sep 29 2010, 10:10 PM']Some people loves Squiers on here, I'm playing a CV Jazz wth flatwounds on and I absolutely love it..a knife through butter!

There are a few Squiers which will easily give Fender MIM's a run for their money.

Think the best advice is to go and try some !

Good luck with the search

Dave[/quote]

thanks Dave - I did and still have a precision competition stripe USA but its a bit too chunky and heavy for me so I need to operate a one in one out rule ! :)