Why become a member? ×

Marshall JCM 800 BASS SERIES 4x12" cabinet. a.k.a. IBS 1520

Jakkeko

I tried to search the forum... I did some internet searches too. But I still can't find too much info about this cabinet.
Dr. Tube has this IBS manual for download and the manual sais that it is IBS series model no. 1520. 4x12" 150w Celestion Sidewinder speakers. The cabinet can handle 600w and it has a sensitivity of 104 dB!

The reason why I'm so interested is that I bought JCM 800 bass series head about a year ago. The guy didn't want to sell the head without the "matching" cabinet... So I bought the cabinet too 'cause the price was decent. And so I had this HUGE Marshall 2x15" cabinet (IBS model 1552). I tried this half stack once or twice but never really got too keen to to the cabinet. But couple of days ago I thought that I'll give it an other chance... And it was worth it. All the troubles concerning the tone were gone. So the cabinet wasn't the trouble maker... It was the amp with the old tubes. I actually liked the sound so much that I would really like to know more about these Sidewinder loaded cabinets.

Compared to the regular M-cabinets these IBS ones are "over sized". The depth of the cabinet is about 44.5 cm. Other dimensions are almost matching with about every other marshall cabinet. The cabinets plate sais "JCM 800 Bass series" but the model plate sais IBS 1552. Does anyone have that 4x12" model 1520? Have you seen these on eBay? Are they better known as JCM 800 cabinets or IBS cabinets? I would really appreciate every piece of information I can get.

-Jaakko

• Like 1

[quote name='Jakkeko' post='962122' date='Sep 20 2010, 01:17 PM']Come on guys... Someone has to have one of these beasts?? Right?? The cabinet can't be this rare...[/quote]

can i ask how you find the tone stack on the marshall? it's one of the few valve heads with a proper active one and i'm doing something similar with the next head i'm building for myself

[quote name='umph' post='962186' date='Sep 20 2010, 04:18 PM']can i ask how you find the tone stack on the marshall? it's one of the few valve heads with a proper active one and i'm doing something similar with the next head i'm building for myself[/quote]

It's a good amp. I got two other amps too (Orange and EBS) and they all got their unique features as well as pros and cons. I personally prefer simple amps which makes my EBS T-90 head a great amp. But it doesn't have the gain or mid frequency control so it doesn't fit every situation. The Orange has all the basic controls as far as I'm concerned (gain - bass - middle - treble - volume) and I really like that amp too. But even thou I got those two great amps I wouldn't sell the Marshall 'cause that one is also a great piece of an equipment! Marshall is also missing the gain control but it has that active EQ section as you mentioned. As I said I personally prefer simple amps so that's why this really versatile control section is not my favorite. But what comes to the tone I got nothing to complain. It works well for the bass and for guitar. I don't need for example the slope control with the bass but a friend of mine who uses the same amp for guitar told me that it's a good function with the guitar.

I believe that you can find the blueprints for this amp quite easily so I would say that it's worth building. And as you are building it by yourself you can do the modifications etc. the way you want them to be. So give it a go. BTW my Marshall head is running with 6L6 power tubes. Also something worth trying if you use the amp with bass.

[b]And about the cabinet I'm searching...[/b] There is at least four different "JCM 800 Bass series" 4x12" cabinet models. Original JCM bass series (manufactured in 1980-1986) had three models (14" deep) and then IBS cabinets (manufactured in 1985-1993) has this one model I'm searching for. And I believe that they are all labeled as "JCM 800 Bass series".

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Guest jbarks

Had the 800 Bass and a 4x12 matching cab two years ago. One of the cones constantly farting out. Was the best sounding thing I ever played a P-bass through (THE GRIND! THE GROWL! THE MIDRANGE PUNCH!), and then I had to sell it :) Never took pictures... I wouldn't know how it compares to the 2x15 though.

Edited by jbarks

• 9 years later...
On 20/09/2010 at 14:18, umph said:

Come on guys... Someone has to have one of these beasts?? Right?? The cabinet can't be this rare...

can i ask how you find the tone stack on the marshall? it's one of the few valve heads with a proper active one and i'm doing something similar with the next head i'm building for myself

Very rare, I have the last two left in UK.

• 1 year later...

Hello all I ran across this post as I was trying to find some Info on my marshall jcm 800 lead series B cab that I got when I bought my jcm 2000 dsl 100watt head a few months ago. I could never find anything about the speakers. The cab is loaded with the celestion sidewinder S-150 speakers in it. Everything i read on internet says about these speakers comming in the jcm 800 bass series cabs. But mine is a jcm 800 lead series B cab. The only thing I found out was that the sidewinder speaker s-150 were made for guitar and the sidewinder s-250 was made for bass guitar. Marshall supposedly marketed the bass cab with both the s-150 and s-250 in a bass series cab. And also the s-150 sidewinder in a guitar can but only for like one or two years. Has anyone ever heard this and could confirm this information, or am I way off. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and sorry for the long post

Edited by Papaschmit