Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash Year 4, Surrey, 27th November 2010

silverfoxnik

Good News!

..amazingly, Happy Jack is now able to make the Bash on Saturday and he is bringing his drummer Paul with him (who was there last year). And I have managed to acquire a small drum kit as well, so we are in a 'Go' situation with regards to the Jam Room!! :)

Jack will also help run the Quiet Room, albeit with slightly less mobility than last year!

Thanks in advance to Jack and Paul for offering to help, Josh for the loan of teh kit and Walman for helping with bringing it along on the day..

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='1035947' date='Nov 25 2010, 09:46 AM']Thanks guys! :) How about you do the 11am slot John and maybe another session later as people arrive through the day - we could set up a seperate space for you as the Foyer is so large.. And 51m0n, what about you doing the 1pm slot?

So it'd look like this:

Workshop 1: 11 am - johnnylager - setups
Workshop 2: 12 pm - urb - music theory & music media
Workshop 3: 1pm - 51m0n - compression & compressors
Workshop 4: 2pm - alexclaber - bass tones/using your amp/e.q. advice

Phil - we're booked until 6pm I think but because it'll be dark by then and the weather might be bad, it would be best to wrap up at 5pm I think..

Nik[/quote]

Fine by me, anyone got a good book about comrpessors I can have read of then?? :)

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' post='1036566' date='Nov 25 2010, 04:34 PM']Fine by me, anyone got a good book about comrpessors I can have read of then?? :)[/quote]
Its simple 51m0n (unintended pun), if you have compression on zero it does nothing and if you go to ten it squishes the sound. You can't buy that level of knowledge, mate :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='1036569' date='Nov 25 2010, 04:39 PM']Its simple 51m0n (unintended pun), if you have compression on zero it does nothing and if you go to ten it squishes the sound. You can't buy that level of knowledge, mate :)[/quote]

Right, excellent, I've printed that off, should be able make it last 45 minutes, with a bit of waffle eh, cheers!

[quote name='51m0n' post='1036589' date='Nov 25 2010, 04:54 PM']Right, excellent, I've printed that off, should be able make it last 45 minutes, with a bit of waffle eh, cheers![/quote]
Bring a load of lysdexia's photo albums and hand them round, you'll be amazed how quickly the 45 minutes will go (and how few questions you get on compression) :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='1036569' date='Nov 25 2010, 04:39 PM']Its simple 51m0n (unintended pun), if you have compression on zero it does nothing and if you go to ten it squishes the sound. You can't buy that level of knowledge, mate :)[/quote]

You're quite wrong, Clarky.

If you have compression on zero it does nothing and if you go to ten you have a hit single.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='1036614' date='Nov 25 2010, 05:09 PM']Can someone do the same thing for setups please?[/quote]
If you insist - bung some strings on, if the bass buzzes to b*ggery turn the truss rod a bit so it doesn't any more, if the neck resembles a banana turn truss the other way. Simples. Then hand round lysdexia's photo album

[quote name='Clarky' post='1036618' date='Nov 25 2010, 05:12 PM']If you insist - bung some strings on, if the bass buzzes to b*ggery turn the truss rod a bit so it doesn't any more, if the neck resembles a banana turn truss the other way. Simples. Then hand round lysdexia's photo album[/quote]
:)

Which reminds me people, if you want to actually adjust yer bass during the setup section, I'd suggest a minimum of -

Strap
Tuner [& lead if required]
Allen key / truss rod tool +/- small screwdriver to remove any truss rod cover
The knowledge of which way tightens the rod
Allen key to adjust saddle height
Screwdriver / allen key to adjust intonation

JL

Hello from the parky north.

I'm actually setting off in a few minutes for the bash ...no I'm not that slow ...just need to do things on the way!

The disappointing news is that Jon Shuker advises me to avoid coming to his workshop this morning. As some of you might be aware, it is in the heart of the Derbyshire Peak District, so not a place to go in the current conditions if it can be helped.
So, no Shuker Satinline prototype this time :)

However, I will be bringing a selection of tasty basses!

Phil

I can't run the bar, but I do have a Zoom Rhythmtrack 123 for the jam room that I should be able to bring (will dust it off tonight) might need someone to provide an amp for it though. (I might be able to use my ashdown mag300 if I can find a cab for it) be warned I don't really know how to use it.

Edited for clarity

Edited by Kraken

Couple of things, bringing rig, Superfly+Crown power amp, Acme Low B+1x15, Yammy fretless and Status fives.
Got a Danelectro tuner to put in the raffle and a Zoom B2 for sale. Also if anyone needs picking up from a local station say between 9-10am drop me a pm and see what we can work out.
Only one more sleep!

Nik,

I'll assume there's no drummer so I'll not bring the strat. [b]Would you let the guy bringing the Fender guitar amp that he doesn't need to now. Thank you![/b]

Sorry this is late in the day, I've been blue arsed for the last few days and got to go to a gig now. I'll bring the Warwick Corvette $$ with DR Neons on instead. See you about 9am mate. Cheers. Nigel

[quote name='Paul S' post='1037951' date='Nov 26 2010, 04:34 PM']That would be me. I think there is a drummer coming, along with Happy Jack who can now make it? Anyway, I'll stick it in the car regardless.[/quote]
Sorry Paul. I couldn't remember and didn't have time to find your post. That's brilliant thank you! I'll bring the guitar then! And something for your trouble mate. See you tomorrow. Nigel