Why become a member? ×

Best bass combo under £500?

Herbie The Rad Dorklift

How do all.

I'm new to bass, kinda.

I've played guitar for ages, now play bass in a pop/rock group. The music we do is kinda like Beatles/McFly/The Feeling. We also cover lots of different things from Free, to Mika, to Stevie Wonder, to Van Morrison.

I play 2 basses. One's a MIM Fender P and the other's a Korean Schecter 5 string.

I want a combo for portability reasons, so no head/cabs.

Ideally I'd like a Mark Bass but they're a bit out of budget at the mo, unless they go used for cheap? The combo I use right now is a Line6 1x15; it's OK, but I want something better :)

Cheers.

You should have a look at the Ashdown MAG range, 300 watts, DI, compressor, Sub Octave, 5 band eq etc etc, solid good sounding workhorses and both the 1x15 and 2x10 combos come in well under budget...

Check it -

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ashdown-mag-c210t-300-evo-ii-bass-amplifier-combo--73684"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ashdown-mag-c...er-combo--73684[/url]

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ashdown-mag-c115-300-evo-ii-bass-amplifier-combo--73683"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ashdown-mag-c...er-combo--73683[/url]

[quote name='Herbie The Rad Dorklift' post='951705' date='Sep 10 2010, 12:09 PM']Ibanez really?

Obviously I'm not an experienced bassist (as I said), but in the world of guitar amps Ibanez are terrible! Will try and find one out.[/quote]

Ive not played one, but the reviews are great. I know what you mean, they have a bad rep with amps, but I assume they have done their homework with this one :)

Buy used. You'll get a lot of amp for £500. There's a used Hartke Hydrive 2x10 combo local to me in as new condition for £375 so something like that's worth a look. An Ibanez Promethean is good by all accounts, but one 10" speaker will only do so much.

Edited by Bigwan

+1 for the Hartke and Ashdown suggestions above.

If it's portability you're after, don't rule out a seperate head and cab as can be more manageable than
having all the weight in one unit, and more easily upgradeable too. Also some combos have restrictions on
driving extra speakers should you want to add another cab into the mix.
S/H definitely best value whatever route you choose, loads of good buys on here.
Cheers.

[quote name='Herbie The Rad Dorklift' post='951705' date='Sep 10 2010, 12:09 PM']Ibanez really?

Obviously I'm not an experienced bassist (as I said), but in the world of guitar amps Ibanez are terrible! Will try and find one out.[/quote]
They've just reinvented themselves, hence the lack of 'Ibanez' badges on the cab.

Great, great combos, but as someone else mentioned a 1x10 can only do so much. The 2x10 would be great but is a little out of your budget.

[url="http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/"]Bill Fitzmaurice[/url]

Ditch the combo idea and make your own cab. Everyone's doing it :) - see above.

Or buy a Hartke or the Promethean.
I was thinking about the Hartke 112c Hydrive. Loads of features, smallish, 250w and Pete Academy's place of employment was selling them new for, wait for it........£349. It's a bargain.

Commission on that one if you get the sale please Pete :rolleyes:

To play to 500 people places you'll need some oomph without PA support.
You need a 300watt plus amp and a decent cab to go with it.
A Markbass 2x10 would be a starter but doubt you'll get one of those for under £600.

From what I have read, a small 1x10 combo is for quiet gigs.
You could be chasing your tail trying to get volume out of it to keep up with a gtr band, that you have no chance to
EQ it optimally, IMO.

If you can get on with Ashdown, then you might be able to get something in budget but wouldn't confince yourself to combos...

An Eden 2x10 combo might come in under £500 second-hand and you can add another cab for max output later.

• 2 years later...

[quote name='terocious' timestamp='1366632304' post='2055070']
TC Electronic BG250. I've tried one and liked it. It's less than 400€.
[/quote]

Or, I know you said no Head/Cab combo but the head is so small it will go in your gig bag, the TC BH250 and BC210/212 cab.