Why become a member? ×

Is this a nuts idea

Ou7shined

I don't know about you guys but we sometimes play places that suffer with a lack of power points. I've been thinking about putting a mains socket in the side of my combo for pedals etc. It's one less thing to carry and one less thing to loose. I was thinking of putting a kettle lead [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/300/mk19.jpg"]socket[/url] in the back then hooking it up to a heavy duty twin mains [url="http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/87/p2673587_x.jpg"]socket[/url] out the side then take a loop out the back for the amp.

Why have I never seen this done before? Is there a risk of getting a 50hz hum with it being inside the cab?

if it's pedals that need powering I'd reckon it would be more worthwhile to fit a power supply in the combo, so all you need would be 9v cables to connect the pedals, rather than adaptors etc.

I'd be surprised if that hasn't been done by an amp manufacturer.

There's nothing wrong with a simple 4 way extension cable, which is what I currently use. I don't think there would be much advantage in fitting a mains socket in the combo. I don't know much about electrics, but I'm sure it won't have any safety advantages.

Have you seen these kind of [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=26767&doy=22m12"]2 way mains cables[/url]

That would probably work well if you can get a PSU that uses an IEC cable for the fx .

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

I carry a reel-type extension cable with four sockets. The only drawback with it is that the sockets are 2+2 rather than four side-by-side and plugging a wall-wart in means I generally can't plug anything in to the opposite socket, but as I normally plug in two plugs and a wall-wart, that's not actually a problem.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='108767' date='Dec 24 2007, 01:26 AM']Yup, I take a 4 way with me as standard too (in fact my lead guitarist relies on that fact) but I also lose them. You'd have to pretty bad to lose your amp. :)[/quote]
I use a Gallien-Krueger 200MB, the predecessor to the MB150 - it's almost exactly the same size as my mains extension.

Another option would be to make a pedal board with an attached 4 or 6 way extension socket to power everything. You could plug the amp into the board's multisocket. Having a pedal board would save time connecting up all your FX, tuner etc.

[quote name='Doc B' post='108796' date='Dec 24 2007, 08:47 AM']Another option would be to make a pedal board with an attached 4 or 6 way extension socket to power everything. You could plug the amp into the board's multisocket. Having a pedal board would save time connecting up all your FX, tuner etc.[/quote]

that reminds me of what the guitarist in my previous covers band did-
he had a pedalboard made of sheet steel, wedge-shaped,
and fitted his pedals on the top surface,-actually drilled holes through them and screwed them in place :)

he also did the same with a mains 4way in the hollow underside of the pedalboard.

yes, he drilled holes THROUGH THE 4WAY to hold it in place :huh: :huh:

guess what eventually happened?

setting up at a gig in Holland, in '99, mains voltage through the pedalboard, and a fried Digitech Whammy and Morley wah :huh:

would you believe the guy works as a builder?

Edited by SJA

The problem I can see is that you lose the flexibility of a separate extension, meaning your whole rig is tied together with more that just an instrument cable. Not a problem if you constantly play tiny venues I guess.

I have a 1U rack strip with a 4 way extension on it that I can use to plug everything in my rack in to and then have a single plug to a power socket. I can also plug an extension lead in to this to power a pedal board.

Of more concern to me is the number of venues where the whole band has to run PA, lights and amps off two sockets.......

[quote name='Muppet' post='110351' date='Dec 28 2007, 09:17 PM']Of more concern to me is the number of venues where the whole band has to run PA, lights and amps off two sockets.......[/quote]
That reminds me - we did a gig in Opium E/burgh and all they gave us for the "stage" was a single really shady looking 4 way roll. Half way through the set the whole upstairs (except the lights behind the bar) tripped. We continued playing but obviously all you could hear was drums. 10 secs later all the power came back on and we hadn't missed a beat. :huh: Not good for the valves I suppose. :)