Why become a member? ×

Are some Basschat Topics & posts getting out of hand?

silverfoxnik

I only generally post here if I can help someone or to update my build diaries. I tried being amusing once and it bombed big time to the extent that I don't even look in the Off topic forum any more. I do like it here though. There are a lot of helpful, friendly and knowledgeable people here.

[quote name='Waldo' post='108612' date='Dec 23 2007, 04:45 PM']I don't really take offense, I'm just demonstrating that the lack of a smiley can change the tone of what you've said :)[/quote]

This is an extremely valid point. Out in the real word, we get tone of voice and body language to decide on the context of the conversation, in writing on a forum you only get to read. Smiles help add an extra "context forming" sense to the responces.

It's something I've dealt with on other forums regarding the fact sarcasm doesn't come across in text at all.

[quote name='Buzz' post='108758' date='Dec 24 2007, 12:28 AM']It's something I've dealt with on other forums regarding the fact sarcasm doesn't come across in text at all.[/quote]
It can - it does need careful wording though, and an audience that doesn't include Americans (if it does, they need the word NOT! added at appropriate places).

But back on the original topic, I'm new here, and wasn't a Bassworlder. I've only recently started using web forums - I've been on email lists and newsgroups for about 15 years though, and some of them can get quite heated at times. Compared to recent stuff on alt.guitar.bass (there's a couple of pretty flaming threads about smoking bans), BC is never more than lukewarm. Self-censorship works if enough people are willing to criticise behaviour they see as unacceptable, but OTOH if only one person criticises someone's behaviour, then the implication is that that person is probably unusually thin-skinned.

I think the jazz thread in particular has certainly attracted a variety of great posts - some of them amusing, some of them informative and a great many of them giving everyone an opportunity to listen to some excellent music... pretty much every "Off Topic" thread seems to incorporate these posts to some extent :) I don't mind if people make jokes about ERBs looking like aircraft carriers or ironing boards, but when it goes beyond a joke, members should exercise consideration and restraint - if they fail to do so, that's the only time mods should to step in
Maybe things have changed since it was bassworld - I don't know though; I've only been here for a few months and I absolutely love basschat; I'm on here almost every day

Just because there has been one or two dodgy threads doesn't mean that the forum has lost "its soul" I think the moderators do a fine job on the whole.
There are a whole bunch of artists I can't stand to listen to, much to the point if they come on the radio, I turn it off. But to say I hate them is a bit over the top. The forum will only degenerate if we allow it to, the Mods can't police the place 24/7.
Fact if, if there are dodgy posts that you find objectionable, just ignore them.

Merry Xmas ! :)

I think my answer to 1 would be yes, but only with a VERY heavy emphasis on [i]some [/i]as most seem friendly & helpful - and I get here most days.

As has already been shown a well placed helps a great deal even if you don't like to use them.

At the end of the day if you don't like a thread then ignore it and let it die on the vine, don't bump it taking a trolls bait.

*to be said in ones best Kent Brockman's voice*

My 2 cents!

Discussion and topics on dislikes are equally as valid as ones on likes. If someone wants to hate a band or style of music and express that opinion, as long as it's within the boundaries of the T&C's agreed on sign up, then go for it.

Hatred can be productive in musical subculture, ie. if there had not been hatred for bands labelled prog, there may never have been punk. Opens up a wider debate, and a new topic.

After 2 years of been continually forcefed bebop jazz at college on a music course (which was [i]meant [/i]to cover all styles) I have since held a hatred for that genre. Fortunately I don't get to hear any now, so it doesn't worry me :)

[quote name='ped' post='108502' date='Dec 23 2007, 11:54 AM']I have made lots of friends through the forum, it continues to be an excellent melting pot of ideas, tastes, styles and opinions (as covered nicely by Jakesbass) and I for one am enjoying it all the more for that. But them I am very easy going![/quote]

+1 for that - BC is a great source for help and advice for the less experienced player.

An Happy Christmas to you all,

Cheers Martin

I think it's good people say what they mean on here, why not, what harm can it do in reality?

I'm a pretty regular user and I don't think I've come across anything that's way too offensive and if I did, so what? change channels...no harm done :)

BC is better than most forums, some forums have threads that haven't been used in ages, at this place there's generally always someone around to chip in,...... marvellous :huh:

The BBC is one of the wisest I've readon BC. If more of the users took the time to browse through and welcome people in the Introduction section; they would have found out that he is a very easy going, honest, humuorous guy and you would have quickly got the gist of his style of humour. He has now (unfortunately, in my opinion) tamed his forum personality. It's perfectly understandable that an extroverted individual would need time to settle and take on board/learn the forum's style of discourse. This proves the forum has moderated itself in terms of restoring harmony.

It's naive to assume that as the scale of the forum increases; the users will become unmanageable. It's impressive and expected how the members out of authority politely, maturely and firmly tell someone off when stepping out of line. Generally, if a new forum member hasn't learnt the unwritten expectations by example; they will have learnt it as soon as a more forum wary peer has told them, explicitly.

I'm far more pissed off with people hinting that they're making use of the ignore function. I don't want to know if you're using it or not. It's especially cruel when being indirectly insensitive.

As for Off Topic rants. I'm not sure which ones are in question in this and the 'libel...' thread, but I think it would be a great shame if they were stamped out. I' have been educated and have adopted a different outlook on various social topics which I have the Off Topic section chiefly to thank for. I would assume that, like me, you would want BassChat to continue to develop as a community and I think the best way of doing that is by understanding each other and getting to know each other. One of the best ways of doing this is through detailed, passionate discussion. Whether it be through an eye-catching 'I hate' thread or an inevitable social discussion; 'smoking', 'is this news worthy' etc. it doesn't matter. I think taking away the option of ranty threads will only ensure that we become more detached from each other as the scale of the forum increases. Especially people like me who don't have a sense of humour and need to express themselves in other ways in order to feel like they are contributing to the community. If you took that away, I probably wouldn't stick around which would be a shame for me as I've already met some truly wonderful people.

I think people take this whole forum business far too seriously. I'm not a member of any other forums or whatever, and I very rarely ventured up the 'dusty end' to the discussion topics. I'd wander around the theory place, check out the double bass section (when some chin stroking was needed) and the for sale section satiated my need for wood based guiatr shaped instruments.

Everything down there was fine.

When I've come up here, people are ever so serious about what is essentially a place where a disparate group of geographically dispersed individuals can share their views on a subject (bass guitar and bass related shenanigans) which are difficult to share in public. The idea of a forum like this is to share knowledge, discuss issues in an informed way (my missus, or rather ex, had no idea why the bass player in Jamiroquai had changed - you guys did!) stuff that I couldn't go to the pub and chat with my mates about, as I'd bore them to tears!

when it comes to the 'I hate' topics, and the negative ones, well, so what? What really is the issue?

Again, I've not been part of a forum before so I can't comment on how they might evolve, but a discussion board where people are more likely to share their honest opinions rather than towing the assumed and agreed upon line is somewhere I'd like to be rather than somewhere where we all have to agree, or we'll get EDITED! Argh, perish the thought :-)

(Obviously if someone is being libellous, then they need to be edited, this is no issue).

If I come here and all I get is patronised, or told my opinions are irrelevent or people are treated negatively (just saw this: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=6258)"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=6258)[/url] then shan't bother clicking up here, and will dwell in my depths, alone....

[quote name='paul, the' post='109380' date='Dec 26 2007, 05:04 AM']The BBC is one of the wisest I've readon BC. If more of the users took the time to browse through and welcome people in the Introduction section; they would have found out that he is a very easy going, honest, humuorous guy and you would have quickly got the gist of his style of humour.[/quote]

Personally, I don't have time to do that.

Not picking on BBC in particular, I just expect people to understand that this is a moderated public forum and, although a bit of gentle ribbing and dark humour is fine'n'dandy, there are certain limits to what is (in my opinion) acceptable.

I don't want to read overly vitriolic posts. Yes, I can (and do) pass them by, but it doesn't stop them boiling my p*ss a bit.

[quote name='TheBigBeefChief' post='108580' date='Dec 23 2007, 03:13 PM']I have no intension to make this forum a worse place for anyone and I genuinely apologise to anyone who feels this is the case. I appreciate that my sense of humour is totally warped, and I have some off the wall views, but I'm yet to kill anyone. I think it doesn't help that I refuse to put smilies in any of my less serious posts (they're in league with Jazz) so people probably don't know if I'm joking or not. As a rule, if you read something from me, its probably not 100% serious so chill out.

Its interesting to see though the number of people who will post on a thread to say "i don't agree with this thread" thus bumping it up. Surely, if you don't like the banter, its best not to even bother reading it, let alone post?

By reading this I realise that a few people are a bit p*ssed off with the types of posts going up at the moment. Again, I apologise if anyone is offended, but i think you need to put it in perspective to some degree. I'm not that bad.

Why don't we all just get naked and have a little wrestle?[/quote]Me think you do protesteth too much. BTW did your warpped sense of humour result in your avatar?

[quote name='paul, the' post='109380' date='Dec 26 2007, 05:04 AM']I'm far more pissed off with people hinting that they're making use of the ignore function. I don't want to know if you're using it or not. It's especially cruel when being indirectly insensitive.[/quote]

Really? The function has a reason for being there, and I think it's a very effective way of filtering the mass of posts on the forum.

As you're so angry about people using it, perhaps I should explain why BBC is the only person on my ignore list. It isn't because of the 'I hate jazz' thread, which I liked a lot. It was a couple of posts in other threads, particularly the 'Xmas presents' one, where he said he'd cut his girlfriend if he didn't get what he wanted, and another where he said he wanted most people dead. If you find such negative, violent humour funny then good for you, but I don't want to sink to that level and therefore I choose to ignore them.

[quote]particularly the 'Xmas presents' one, where he said he'd cut his girlfriend if he didn't get what he wanted, and another where he said he wanted most people dead. If you find such negative, violent humour funny then good for you, but I don't want to sink to that level and therefore I choose to ignore them.[/quote]

:) :huh: I think BBC is funny, i like his dry sense of humour and the fact that i have to wander over whether he's joking or not, however if you're sensetive about that sort of thing i suppose it's ok to ignore, btw can anyone tell me what this ignore button actually does?? (not trying to hijack the topic) I would feel far to mean ignoring a user even if they do irritate me.

Guest TheBigBeefChief

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='109431' date='Dec 26 2007, 12:05 PM']It was a couple of posts in other threads, particularly the 'Xmas presents' one, where he said he'd cut his girlfriend if he didn't get what he wanted,[/quote]

But it worked. I got exactly what I asked for. Women these days need a bit of discipline in their lives.

Again, you need to appreciate that humour doesn't always come across in text. If you've ever experienced domestic violence then that really wasn't funny. Usually I just ignore posts that irritate me, but I can't not respond to that stupidity.

Guest TheBigBeefChief

By the same logic, nothing should be joked about.

"Why did the chicken cross the road?"

"Actually, thats not funny. My brother was ran over and killed whilst crossing the road. You really shouldn't joke about that".

To me, there's nothing that can't have a humourous angle. I actually tone it down on here due to you over-sensitive types. If you want to find insults in posts, you'll look hard enough and you'll find them.

To be honest, I've given up with a few people on here. You claim to be an inclusive forum, but by beeing so overly sensitive you actually achieved the opposite. Anyone with a slightly different view point/sense of humour is made to feel unwelcome pretty quickly.

If you don't have the common sense to see this, please feel free to hit the ignore button.

To be honest, I do see humour in most things but have the "common sense" to realise that, in some cases, others may not. As the subject had only arisen through someone pointing out that they'd found it offensive, it seemed a little bit stupid to rub it in.

Ultimately, we all have the ability to ignore things we don't like ( which generally I do), but you annoyed me with that post and felt the need to respond. Hopefully you won't encounter circumstances that you lead you to be "over sensitive".

[quote name='Johngh' post='109019' date='Dec 24 2007, 06:15 PM']Just because there has been one or two dodgy threads doesn't mean that the forum has lost "its soul" I think the moderators do a fine job on the whole.
There are a whole bunch of artists I can't stand to listen to, much to the point if they come on the radio, I turn it off. But to say I hate them is a bit over the top. The forum will only degenerate if we allow it to, the Mods can't police the place 24/7.
Fact if, if there are dodgy posts that you find objectionable, just ignore them.

Merry Xmas ! :)[/quote]

MB1. :huh:
Last time i turned the radio off!....The beautiful south were on it! :huh:
I notice your one stat lighter this christmas!
All The Best!
MB1.

Guest TheBigBeefChief

But its the overly-sensitive "others" that I've pretty much given up on. If you find it offensive, thats fine. But I won't be hypocritical and retract anything I've said, because the truth is I really don't care. Life is too short to try and please people who will never get your sense of humour. This forum is not a popularity contest.

[quote]To me, there's nothing that can't have a humourous angle. I actually tone it down on here due to you over-sensitive types. If you want to find insults in posts, you'll look hard enough and you'll find them.[/quote]

I don't think rape has a humerous angle personally (don't try), but i agree life is too short to get hooked up on passing comments on an internet forum.