Why become a member? ×

Splitting my bass to two seperate pre-amps...

cetera

[quote name='cetera' post='950048' date='Sep 8 2010, 10:51 PM']Honestly?!? It's AWESOME!

I have the two 2x12's stacked vertically with the top cab blasting the overdriven, grinding hi mids from the RBI..... and the bottom cab blasting the solid, thick, round & clean lows from the RPM....

Running each on a separate channel of the power amp means I can adjust the individual volume of each to find the perfect combination of thundering lows and grinding highs! :rolleyes:[/quote]
Oooh, just stumbled on this topic - don't normally peruse much in Effects (I [i]think[/i] I'm all sorted at the mo', no efx GAS!)

It's kinda what I've been doing with my rig (just set it up in the front room - haven't tried to do it at gig volumes....yet!)

Have been using my GK head to drive the 4x10 and the line out into a power amp for the 1x15, with a SansAmp Paradriver DI feeding a couple of 1x12s. It was something I brought along to the London Bash a couple of months ago. Took a bit of setting up, but it kinda worked.....

Recently tried something different with the GK feeding the two 1x12s vertically stacked (running clean), the line out goes into one half of a cross-over with the 1x15 being driven by the low summed output (x-over point is somewhere around 150-200Hz). SansAmp sits in the Efx loop of the GK, with the effected output going into the other half of the x-over, driving the 4x10 with just the mid/highs from the SansAmp.

This way I can use the 1x12s for close monitoring, and the 4x10/1x15 stack sits behind me pumping out the low end and grittiness. Total amp and cab juice is somewhere around 1,200 watts :lol: :)

HTH, Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear someone achieving this split signal idea. I've been looking into something similar for a few months, though in my case, I want to supply a clean, unaffected signal to one channel of a power amp [i]and[/i] to one channel of our PA, and another, effected, signal to the other channel of the power amp [i]and[/i] a second PA channel.

Do you guys reckon the power amp you use is crucial? Would you get away with a cheapie, or might that be negating any gain from splitting the signal?

[quote name='Finbar' post='947529' date='Sep 6 2010, 07:19 PM']I don't think combine was the right word. But I know what was meant by it.

I very much like my Lehle P-Split for this job. Splits stuff just fine and I think it's actually bombproof.

Might be a little pricey though.[/quote]

So how's the P-Split working out? Is it the P-Split II? I've my eye on one for my rig, when I can afford it.

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='948306' date='Sep 7 2010, 02:04 PM']Here's a possible option - if you have a Boss TU-2 tuner pedal - both of those outputs work at the same time, and apparently with no signal degradation. This sounds highly suspect, except that it was shown to me by Joylan Thomas on a session he was engineering alongside Ken Thomas producing. Ken Thomas was heavily involved in a lot of the early Sigur Ros records, and more recently the last Moby record. I don't say this to name drop but rather that if it was good enough sonically for them in a studio then I'll take it!!![/quote]

I wonder if the same is true with my Korg DT-10? It has a bypass out and a "normal" out - could both be used at the same time?. I might try that before I splash on the Lehle.

Mark

[quote name='Phaedrus' post='960174' date='Sep 18 2010, 09:25 AM']Glad to hear someone achieving this split signal idea. I've been looking into something similar for a few months, though in my case, I want to supply a clean, unaffected signal to one channel of a power amp [i]and[/i] to one channel of our PA, and another, effected, signal to the other channel of the power amp [i]and[/i] a second PA channel.

Do you guys reckon the power amp you use is crucial? Would you get away with a cheapie, or might that be negating any gain from splitting the signal?[/quote]

I think any power amp will be fine - but I personally would (like with any gear) try to steer clear of the real cheap and nasty stuff. To make your life easier - you could look for a power amp that has 'link' XLR outs - so you could just daisey chain the power amp inputs straight out to the PA without the need for a seperate DI box. - You'd set your signal TO the power amp and elave constant then control your on stage volume with the volume on th epower amp it self - thus, the PA / engineer wil always get a constant signal should you need to adjust your onstage volume mid gig.

[quote name='Phaedrus' post='960174' date='Sep 18 2010, 09:25 AM']So how's the P-Split working out? Is it the P-Split II? I've my eye on one for my rig, when I can afford it.[/quote]

Well... It splits stuff :) I've outgrown my need for it as I no longer run a dual rig. I used to run two differently effected signal paths into two different channels of a poweramp and then two different cabs. But I realised how silly my rig and pedalboard were getting, so now it's very much simpler. However, the Lehle is always there if I do happen to need the splitting option. With it around, I wouldn't consider using anything else, though if it didn't have it, I'm sure my DT-10 would kind of work, until I wanted to mute things to tune.

So Finbar, regardless of how silly your rig was getting, did you like you sound when you were splitting your signal? Was the P-Split noisy? Did it affect your tone in any way?

Dood, I presume "elave" is fatfingers for "slave"? :) I hear you and I'll look into it.

I guess I'm not unique - I just want phat, solid, clean fundamental tone, no matter what effects I'm engaging. But I want my effected tone(s) to still sing out loud & proud as well. 2 separate signal paths seems the purest way.

Till I splash out, my plans might keep changing, but for the mo, this is my plan for my board:

The connectivity would go like this:

The P-Split did everything perfectly. No noise or anything. But I just wanted to go back to basics. Valve amp + microphone = gig tone. Well chosen effects should solve the problem of keeping good tone throughout, and I'd only go back to multiple cabs/amps etc if I had the excuse to be elaborate and do it just because I could as an international star :)

Got a reply from Korg support. The two outputs from the DT-10 can be used at the same time, with the obvious caviat that the Bypass output would not be muted while tuning.

Anyone got any idea whether some rewiring or something would be easy to do inside the DT-10 to make both outputs mute while tuning? That's probably too much dicking around, TBH, but you never know . . .

Mark

you could disconnect the bypass output and wire it in parallel with the muted output, but then it would just be running like a passive splitter so you could get some noise / signal loss.... probably negligible though.

also...
[quote name='cetera' post='950048' date='Sep 8 2010, 10:51 PM']Honestly?!? It's AWESOME!

I have the two 2x12's stacked vertically with the top cab blasting the overdriven, grinding hi mids from the RBI..... and the bottom cab blasting the solid, thick, round & clean lows from the RPM....

Running each on a separate channel of the power amp means I can adjust the individual volume of each to find the perfect combination of thundering lows and grinding highs! :)[/quote]

WANT! just when i was gas-less.