Why become a member? ×

Withdrawn!

theosd

Basically, I'm not getting on with this bass tone-wise; it's just not what I'm after at all! It plays, looks, and sounds great but I just can't dial in a tone I personally really dig... It's a shame cos the bass is a real good looker: Carbon Blue Pearl single humbucker with rosewood fretboard, abalone pickguard and matching headstock: Simply one of the best combinations I've ever seen on a Stingray 5, and it just makes the infamous pickguard seem so natural. I've never seen another like it, and the matching headstock is a very desirable feature, that normally adds at least £100 to the price of these things secondhand... The only photos I have are the ones from when it was on ebay, but I'll take some more if people would like.

condition is near perfect; considering this is a 5 year old bass now! There's a tiny 4mm lacquer oddity on the upper body curve; no wood shows through, it looks simply like a bit of lacquer has been taken off somehow, rather odd. Otherwise the bass couldn't be in better condition. comes with the musicman hardcase, which has a few scrapes on it (but even still has the silicone bag thingy to prevent humidity), and all is in working order.

Ideally I would be looking for a straight swap with something of similar value (willing to consider cash in case of value differences), and I'd be looking at a very firm £720 minimum. Tempt me with something nice n' rounded in terms of tone, ideally a 5 string, ideally of a similar value, if not a little less (with cash displacement). This is seriously a very sexy bass, and I'm gutted it's not for me cos it really is the dog's doo-dahs. If interest is good I'd be looking to swap early in the new year.

I'm considering a HH combination or an HS instead, if that helps!

EDIT: Oh yeah, I put some black schaller straplocks on this too.

Edited by theosd

[quote name='ste_m3' post='107432' date='Dec 21 2007, 01:30 AM']Mmm this is gorgeous! I doubt my RP bass would be of any interest but if you want to chat let me know![/quote]

Yeah it really is, the blue's actually a little darker in real life, a really rich combination, after seeing it I can't imagine abalone looking as good on ANYTHING else!!

Not my thing I'm afraid!

Oh yeah: I don't get on with Jazzes either, thought I'd better throw that in there...! :) Picky, me!

[quote name='Machines' post='107719' date='Dec 21 2007, 04:23 PM']If you like it so much - why not get it converted to HH ?[/quote]

I'd rather not, I don't know if I would prefer it and it would devalue the bass; someone might appreciate this more as a single H and it would be a crime to remove any of the fantastic looking pickguard!

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='107837' date='Dec 21 2007, 08:07 PM']A lot like this...

[/quote]

Now that can definitely tempt me!! Not too much of a departure colour-wise either! I'll PM you my email address if you're still interested!

Your loss :)
You could end up with something really ugly like a Thumb......

Ah, just looked at your profile, didn't realise you were only 20. You've got to go thru another 15 years of playing before you start to enjoy Jazzes/Precisions again.

Good luck with the trade.

(pity the Bongo fell thru - that was sweet)

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='martthebass' post='108951' date='Dec 24 2007, 03:37 PM']Your loss :)
You could end up with something really ugly like a Thumb......

Ah, just looked at your profile, didn't realise you were only 20. You've got to go thru another 15 years of playing before you start to enjoy Jazzes/Precisions again.

Good luck with the trade.

(pity the Bongo fell thru - that was sweet)[/quote]

Yeah, the bongo woulda been a good 'un. I'm not into warwicks either. This is still at feeler status though, I'm gonna try the Ray with flats to see if I can curb its enthusiasm and tame the wild beast!

I don't need to think about Jazzes/Precisions because my grandad will leave me either his painfully beautiful '63 J or (more likely as I've told him I prefer it) his dream-like '63 P.

So yeah, I'll have the Fender requirements all wrapped up! I'm after a modern sounding bass, thought the Ray would be it, but no. If only Rickenbacker did 5 stringers eh!

Edited by theosd

[quote name='theosd' post='108961' date='Dec 24 2007, 04:08 PM']So yeah, I'll have the Fender requirements all wrapped up! I'm after a modern sounding bass, thought the Ray would be it, but no. If only Rickenbacker did 5 stringers eh![/quote]

Umm, sounds like you need to try a few basses out regarding your modern sound. Of my 3, not surprisingly my MIA P is the most 'old school'. The Lakky, with Aero Pups is also pretty old fashioned to my ears. The most modern sounding is the Thumb - can sound very clean with MEC's until you dig in. I thought my old Sterling was pretty modern sounding - this sohould have been very similar to your 'Ray5? If you're looking for modern/clean I think it's hard to beat a Status, though some would say that sound is now very '80's.

[quote name='martthebass' post='108997' date='Dec 24 2007, 05:17 PM']Umm, sounds like you need to try a few basses out regarding your modern sound. Of my 3, not surprisingly my MIA P is the most 'old school'. The Lakky, with Aero Pups is also pretty old fashioned to my ears. The most modern sounding is the Thumb - can sound very clean with MEC's until you dig in. I thought my old Sterling was pretty modern sounding - this sohould have been very similar to your 'Ray5? If you're looking for modern/clean I think it's hard to beat a Status, though some would say that sound is now very '80's.[/quote]

Status was a manufacturer I had in mind!

[quote name='martthebass' post='108997' date='Dec 24 2007, 05:17 PM']Umm, sounds like you need to try a few basses out regarding your modern sound. Of my 3, not surprisingly my MIA P is the most 'old school'. The Lakky, with Aero Pups is also pretty old fashioned to my ears. The most modern sounding is the Thumb - can sound very clean with MEC's until you dig in. I thought my old Sterling was pretty modern sounding - this sohould have been very similar to your 'Ray5? If you're looking for modern/clean I think it's hard to beat a Status, though some would say that sound is now very '80's.[/quote]

Fancy a trade for my Valenti jass