Why become a member? ×

To Epifani UL310 users, past and present

chardbass

What head do people use to get the most out of the 310's odd impedance of 5.3 ohms?
The cab is rated at 750w but using my Eden WT550 I am clipping the output limit of my head so not really getting as much out of the cab as I would want .
Its probably mostly caused by the low end frequencies coming from the onboard pre and amp eq but we're not talking sub-sonic here by any stretch.
I can compromise and re-eq but just wondering if anyone has found ohm-nirvana with this cab?

I've used mine with an Alembic F1X/QSC-1602, BBE BMAX-T/QSC-1602, Ashdown ABM500EVO and an Epi UL502. The only set-up that gave problems was the BBE and there it was the first stage of the BMAX-T that was at fault as it had too much gain. I find it works best with the UL502, they after all designed to work together.

I have the UL610 that is an equally odd impedance rating.. 6 speakers. 3 speakers.. you get it! lol

I run a powersoft poweramp that gives me 1K per channel (4 Ohms) or 2K in bridge mode (8 Ohms) , so I guess in single channel mode i'm running.. um.. about 750W into it?? I use a variety of preamps.. Ampeg SVP or just clean with a digital EQ in the path.

I would very much love to put a 502 amp through it, or an EBS TD650. I think they would suit the sound of EPI cabs very well. (for the sort of thing I like..blah blah)

[quote name='Flanker' post='107272' date='Dec 20 2007, 07:05 PM']I had one which sounded great with a EBS pre/QSC poweramp.

I heard Ari's one at the bassbash, I think it was with a IAmp 600 and that too sounded great.

It's a very portable cab - only 47lbs is pretty amazing when you hear it.[/quote]

Hey chap! Still using the EBS classic there mate?

Not sure of your 3x10's sensitivity but I usually drive my 6 ohm Tech 610 cab (very sensitive, 105db) with a Thunderfunk 550 @ 4 ohms and I'm no way near the max (output at about 12.00 but that means very little when discussing amps from different manufacturers). If I use the matching Tech Black Cat amp I've not had to push it 'at all' and that is just using one of the 500 watt outputs (@ 4 ohms). Hence if your Eden is 550 @ 4 ohms I'm surprised that you are running into clipping to get adequate output!

[quote name='chardbass' post='107056' date='Dec 20 2007, 01:16 PM']What head do people use to get the most out of the 310's odd impedance of 5.3 ohms?
The cab is rated at 750w but using my Eden WT550 I am clipping the output limit of my head so not really getting as much out of the cab as I would want .
Its probably mostly caused by the low end frequencies coming from the onboard pre and amp eq but we're not talking sub-sonic here by any stretch.
I can compromise and re-eq but just wondering if anyone has found ohm-nirvana with this cab?[/quote]

Are you clipping the poweramp or the preamp?

For gigs I use my existing amp a GK 1001RB II, 700 watts. I've never come close to clipping my amp, and I would say Im in tone nirvana. I have just started using a GK 400RB I bough off DrDave, 240 watts @ 4ohms, I bought this as a backup and to use for rehearsals. Even with this lower power rating I still have plenty in reserve for playing with the band.

[quote]Hey chap! Still using the EBS classic there mate?[/quote]

How much ya got??????

Only kidding! I played it up at Bassdirect the other day and it was making a lot of noise and not sounding really very good at all - basically was on the way out!!!!!!!.........Then I tried it again at home with my Epi212 NYC and it sounded amazing and quiet too? Not sure what all that's about but the bottom line is I should probably keep it.

Back to topic..........sort of?

As you know I sold my 310Epi for a 410UL Epi as it's a bit heavier but actually quite a bit more cab. I was however blown away by the Bergantino IP310 the other day - AMAZING tone and deafeningly loud. I'd have one but I can't really justify having that and a lightweight rig too.
That having been said I can't justify a damn thing I own basswise so what the hell!!! :)

[quote name='dood' post='107285' date='Dec 20 2007, 07:29 PM']Are you clipping the poweramp or the preamp?[/quote]

It's the poweramp I guess.

Not clipping at the input stage- there is a red LED marked Output Clip which I'm lighting up like a christmas tree at times.
I confess it's on my low B and I wouldn't describe myself as having a "Willis-like-touch" at all so I can compromise.
I just don't want to!!
It's frustrating when the cab doesn't feel stretched but the head does IYKWIM.

[quote name='chardbass' post='107435' date='Dec 21 2007, 01:51 AM']It's the poweramp I guess.

Not clipping at the input stage- there is a red LED marked Output Clip which I'm lighting up like a christmas tree at times.
I confess it's on my low B and I wouldn't describe myself as having a "Willis-like-touch" at all so I can compromise.
I just don't want to!!
It's frustrating when the cab doesn't feel stretched but the head does IYKWIM.[/quote]

I must admit it's not the first time I have heard of an Eden running out of steam. My guitarist in ma band had said that the bass player from his other band, James had an Eden then moved to an SVT 4 pro. They always maintained that the SVT 4 always sounded louder and balsy in comparison to the Eden on stage.

I've never tried an Eden, so couldn't comment.

FWIW I have an Eden WT400 which used to max out going through my Agi 112 at a practice. My tip would be to make sure that the Enhance knob is pretty much turned off and then modify the way you use the preamp gain and master volume. I usually turn the Master Vol to about 2 o'clock then increase the preamp gain until you reach the volume required. The other thing I've noticed is that if I have too many low frequencies dialled in, that'll max it out. Trim back the mids and highs instead?

[quote name='Rumble' post='108798' date='Dec 24 2007, 08:55 AM']FWIW I have an Eden WT400 which used to max out going through my Agi 112 at a practice. My tip would be to make sure that the Enhance knob is pretty much turned off and then modify the way you use the preamp gain and master volume. I usually turn the Master Vol to about 2 o'clock then increase the preamp gain until you reach the volume required. The other thing I've noticed is that if I have too many low frequencies dialled in, that'll max it out. Trim back the mids and highs instead?[/quote]

I'll have to back off some of the eq, yes.
I'll see how it goes when I use the rig on a different gig in a few weeks- I very rarely use the rig on its own as I always have a monitor mix to beef it up.
I noticed the limit being reached when I used the rig in isolation in a different venue.