Why become a member? ×

Why Doesn't Anyone Change the Bridge on a MM Stingray ?

WHUFC BASS

Fender basses seem to be modded at every given oppurtunity and the bent piece of tin for a bridge is usually the first to go. Why not so on a Musicman Stingray ? In effect its just a slightly bigger bent bit of tin surely yet I've never seen any that have been modded. Any ideas why ?

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='943213' date='Sep 2 2010, 11:51 AM']Fender basses seem to be modded at every given oppurtunity and the bent piece of tin for a bridge is usually the first to go. Why not so on a Musicman Stingray ? In effect its just a slightly bigger bent bit of tin surely yet I've never seen any that have been modded. Any ideas why ?[/quote]

I could be wrong but aren't a lot of MM's through body?

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='943213' date='Sep 2 2010, 11:51 AM']Fender basses seem to be modded at every given oppurtunity and the bent piece of tin for a bridge is usually the first to go. Why not so on a Musicman Stingray ? In effect its just a slightly bigger bent bit of tin surely yet I've never seen any that have been modded. Any ideas why ?[/quote]

Because no-one's made a simple drop in direct replacement which affords any improvement?

I guess people have but perhaps found it made little difference. IIRC MM bridges are quite heavy, so perhaps a little more substantial than the Fender BBOT, even if this is only down to size and contact area. They also have a slightly more substantial attachment to the body also, I've no idea whether that's a factor though.

I'm guess the fact that, if you changed a part on an MM bass, you'd be hunted down and shot at close range by Sterling Ball probably puts folk off also?

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='943226' date='Sep 2 2010, 11:58 AM']I think if there was a demand they would have tried, and then EBMM would have sued them![/quote]

Adding to that I'm aware that both Hipshot and Leo Quan (a.k.a. Badass) have recently had legal problems with 'certain manufacturers', so that's perhaps a factor in the MM issue.

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='943233' date='Sep 2 2010, 12:00 PM']Adding to that I'm aware that both Hipshot and Leo Quan (a.k.a. Badass) have recently had legal problems with 'certain manufacturers', so that's perhaps a factor in the MM issue.

C[/quote]

Thats interesting. I wonder how do companies like Nordstrand, John East and Kent Armstrong get away with making Musicman replacement pickups ?

All the points above are valid. MM bridges have the logo embossed in them and one of the first clues as to a fake being passed off as original is the absence of the logo jumping out at you - about the only plus point of EBMM not selling spares.
One of the things with Stingrays is that they seem to be developed to conclusion, there's simply no point in modding them any further. In fact a modded 'ray is often viewed as a buggered about with 'ray rather than an improved one. The only real exception being CF necks.

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='943283' date='Sep 2 2010, 12:55 PM']All the points above are valid. MM bridges have the logo embossed in them and one of the first clues as to a fake being passed off as original is the absence of the logo jumping out at you - about the only plus point of EBMM not selling spares.
One of the things with Stingrays is that they seem to be developed to conclusion, there's simply no point in modding them any further. In fact a modded 'ray is often viewed as a buggered about with 'ray rather than an improved one. The only real exception being CF necks.[/quote]

Nah, if you have a 2EQ Stingray, try it with a John East replacement... and hear it blossom! :)

(I almost feel like posting this on the EB forum... and run for cover to watch the fireworks :rolleyes: )

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='neepheid' post='943219' date='Sep 2 2010, 11:54 AM']Because no-one's made a simple drop in direct replacement which affords any improvement?[/quote]

Is the right answer. Besides, the MM bridges regardless of string through or back strung are made from a very thick plate and have very good hefty saddles which together with the bridge provide a great combo which gives you all the resonance you need and some. Aftermarket people cannot make a better one, simple as that.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='943307' date='Sep 2 2010, 02:06 PM']Aye, personally I never had any problems with sustain etc on any of my MM basses.[/quote]

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Not the dreaded "sustain" issues again! Possibly the most misunderstood word in a string musicians vocabulary. Ahh, I feel a new thread coming on.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='943319' date='Sep 2 2010, 02:11 PM']Pre EB's are. [/quote]

Not my pre EB :)

BTW, I kept my pre EB's bridge 'cos the bass sounded fine as it was and - more importantly - I thought the dampers and the big bridge plate looked really cool.

As for my EB SR5, that sounded fine too although it didn't have the really cool dampers.....

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='943452' date='Sep 2 2010, 02:51 PM']Is the right answer. Besides, the MM bridges regardless of string through or back strung are made from a very thick plate and have very good hefty saddles which together with the bridge provide a great combo which gives you all the resonance you need and some. Aftermarket people cannot make a better one, simple as that.[/quote]
Aye, MM bridges are pretty hefty bits of kit and nicely made, the bridge on my squier (and the one that came with my old fender) are just bent bits of tin, as people say.