Why become a member? ×

Man Of Few Words

kevbass

[quote name='kevbass' post='106709' date='Dec 19 2007, 09:14 PM']:)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-Fender-Jazz-Bass-Precision-crafted-bass_W0QQitemZ190184708941QQihZ009QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-Fender-Jazz-...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url][/quote]

He's doing it again..... for God's sake man..... give up!!!!
Plenty of past threads about this guy who bought a CAR vintage Jazz only to discover a half decent refin. No refund from the seller but Lordy, this must have cost him a fortune in ebay fees, just to make a statement.
How many 'auctions' has he posted about this now? :huh:

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='106726' date='Dec 19 2007, 09:27 PM']Maybe someone needs to tell him that life isn't always fair and that there are times that nothing can be done and you need to move on.[/quote]

+ 1000 on that. Every time he presses 'Relist' on ebay it must allow the anger and frustration to resurface. So many threads on here in the past about it (it's been going on well over a year I think). So he lost a few (hundred? thousand?) quid on a bass. sh*t, we've all done it, but most of us act like grown ups and either deal with it or let it go. When you buy an expensive antique - which is what this bass is - you take a risk, especially if you buy it unseen, and even more especially if you buy it unseen from a country with a rather eccentric legal system like the USA. The wise buyer either takes steps to minimise that risk or accepts it on the understanding that he might lose out. IMHO, this guy did neither and is now simply crying over spilt milk :)
If the buyer is reading this (as I know he has in the past), aplogies for being harsh above, but I doubt you're doing your mental health much good pursuing it as you are. If you eventually win out, good for you. I doubt however that you will
Chris

[quote name='gusto' post='106924' date='Dec 20 2007, 10:18 AM']I Don't know the back story on this, did he buy that bass and find out it was a fake or somthing? and now spends all his life trying to shift it on to some other mug?[/quote]

Reputable USA dealer sold him an apparently original early '70s CAR Jazz that turned out to be a refin. The ebay listing is the buyer's attempt to name and shame the seller. Despite having made is clear who the sellers was, it doesn't seem to have shamed him at all. USA legal system means buyer has no chance and I guess he has to rely on the goodwill of the seller. Not sure he's doing his best to nurture that particular comodity :)
Chris

The long and short of it is that he bought the bass from tune-o-matic, a big seller from the States. Turns out it's not original but a refinish, but the guy who bought it has left it too long to take any legal action. Instead he keeps listing it, making veiled references to the seller, in the hope of shaming him. He's not trying to sell it, just publicise his grievance.

Well, I reckon the guy has got a point, I mean ebay is a place where you assume from reputable dealers you're going to get a good service. I've bought stuff from Tune-o-matic, and never had any problems, but would I now? I'm not so sure, so he's won an admittedly small battle there, and good on him.

As far as I can see he lost about £1500, which is a sh*t load to drop on a bass.

If he'd paid using a credit card, he could have claimed the money back from this (this is why you should always use credit cards for international transactions, they're entirely covered against loss).

I've been frikked over on ebay, so to get the guy back I decided to set up a fake ebay account and click Buy It Now on every item the guy had for sale. It was lots and lots of them.

Not big, and not clever. Did I get my money back? - No. Was it funny? Yes. Did he get the message, I hope so...

Oh, and each relist on an unsold item is free, so I think the guy will keep doing it forever. Until someone complains to ebay, or decides that £2500 is a good price for a CAR refin JAzz (by the powers of inflation in the vintage market, about 10 years time I'd say!)

[quote name='Beedster' post='106944' date='Dec 20 2007, 10:37 AM']I guess he has to rely on the goodwill of the seller. Not sure he's doing his best to nurture that particular comodity :)
Chris[/quote]

He was offered an amount in settlement, but nowhere near enough. He decided to stick to his principles, then it went way beyond goodwill.

He's decided to continually snap at the seller's heels instead.

Good on him, IMO. Taking the money and keeping schtum helps no-one.

TBH, it auctions don't bother me at all. He can do what he likes.

Whether you agree with the tactics or not - there have already been 10+new posts on this bass - the original seller has been mentioned by name the story has been retold again and already reached a new audience - I would say this guy is being pretty smart and is doing exactly what he is intending to do in a very calm calculated way

[quote name='Jebo1' post='106980' date='Dec 20 2007, 11:31 AM']Oh, and each relist on an unsold item is free, so I think the guy will keep doing it forever. Until someone complains to ebay, or decides that £2500 is a good price for a CAR refin JAzz (by the powers of inflation in the vintage market, about 10 years time I'd say!)[/quote]
The first relist on an unsold item is free if the item then sells on that relist.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='106995' date='Dec 20 2007, 12:04 PM']He was offered an amount in settlement, but nowhere near enough. He decided to stick to his principles, then it went way beyond goodwill.

He's decided to continually snap at the seller's heels instead.

Good on him, IMO. Taking the money and keeping schtum helps no-one.

TBH, it auctions don't bother me at all. He can do what he likes.[/quote]

Fair points
Chris

[quote name='kevbass' post='106709' date='Dec 19 2007, 09:14 PM']:)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-Fender-Jazz-Bass-Precision-crafted-bass_W0QQitemZ190184708941QQihZ009QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-Fender-Jazz-...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url][/quote]

Bummer, but when all's said and done, two things; one, paying huge amounts for instruments is always really risky: two; it's a really sad comment on how things are that someone decides to use what should be a really good thing...buying a new bass... to misrepresent to a dude and also potentially put the rest of us in the e-trading market as potentially cast from the same mold... this ALL works on trust.. hope those not prepared to be honest us the time of year to reflect on the damage they do us all... sorry not meaning to be a preacher but this really gets up my hump..... good luck man.

Andy

i dont care if he keeps trying to sell it, he's done what he wanted (i wouldn't buy from tune-o-matic), and he wants his money back. it seems fair enough to me. he isn't doing anything wrong, and at least he hasn't sunk as low as trying to sell it as a real CAR jazz, he's still telling the truth about what it is. its not doing us any harm if he keeps posting it, so i couldn't care less if he tries to sell it.