Why become a member? ×

Glockenklang

ARGH

[quote name='ARGH' post='106782' date='Dec 20 2007, 09:03 AM']Ive heard its the absolute in tone (yeah I heard that about SWR and Eden..tried them and they were overpriced,and pissweak)[/quote]

I heard the same things about GENZ BENZ stuff.
I went into a large musical stockist of said gear here in Adelaide and asked to try.

[b]Said I:[/b]

First lets get the whole amp off the raised wooden resonating box floor that its currently on.
Second lets move it down to the Drum section and grab a loud drummer......400watts you reckon?

[b]Said sales assitant:[/b] "um....er I better get my boss".

Bottom line was that if I wanted it to practice in my bedroom or do low volume folk/jazz gigs it would be great.

For loud rock it was so flabby and underpowered it made me laugh.

When the manager asked what I thought of it I told him without the slightest bit of sarcasm that they should really get some decent gear and not stock toys.
I cant beleive this stuff has the reputation that it has, I really am dumbfounded it was that bad.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='106680' date='Dec 19 2007, 08:17 PM']Not Glockenklang but I have a Tech Soundsystems Black cat for sale. Ranked (and priced) up there with Glock but more power and valves (x3) loaded in the preamp! Based just North of Newcastle if you are in the region over Christmas.[/quote]

One of these days, you and me ARE gonna get together for a big A/B sesh!!! ;o)

[quote name='ARGH' post='106666' date='Dec 19 2007, 07:34 PM']Im about to commit a cardinal sin in my ears/eyes...
I love Tech 21..,who I am very Happy with...but I want to see what the Germans have to offer....

Any recommendations,or anyone local to Yorkshire,that I could try one?[/quote]

I'm afraid you'll have to travel down to the SimS Custom Shop in Bethersden near Ashford Kent where we have a Soul Top and Take Five 4 x 10" always available for players to try out. You will never be disappointed with the superb quality of sound and tone that a Glock will give day in day out.

You'll be smitten once you plug in and play...with a big grin of 'yer face!

Ciao

Ian

Edited by SMART

[quote name='Freuds_Cat' post='106797' date='Dec 20 2007, 12:01 AM']I heard the same things about GENZ BENZ stuff.
......400watts you reckon?

I cant beleive this stuff has the reputation that it has, I really am dumbfounded it was that bad.[/quote]

I think what you had there was a flaky amp, or something hopelessly outdated. The GBE stuff is insanely loud and punchy.

Of course you're welcome to form an opinion from one bad experience, but... that would be a shame,

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='106862' date='Dec 20 2007, 05:42 PM']I think what you had there was a flaky amp, or something hopelessly outdated. The GBE stuff is insanely loud and punchy.

Of course you're welcome to form an opinion from one bad experience, but... that would be a shame,[/quote]

Thanks wateroftyne, I hope you are right. It was a brand new amp and I tried 2 different cabs.

and

As I explained, I did make the effort to try this gear in as real a situation as I could in the hope of getting an accurate idea of its sound.
I went in there looking forward to hearing a good sound so its not like I was particularly trying to find fault with GENZ BENZ gear.
I do hope it was a dud amp because it honestly did sound lousy. To quote ARGH 'overpriced and pissweak'?

You've peaked my curiosity now so I might go into another GB retailer and have another go, maybe on a different model amp.
What made me interested in the 1st place was the concept of a Valve pre with a Class D output.

[quote name='Freuds_Cat' post='107407' date='Dec 20 2007, 11:52 PM']What made me interested in the 1st place was the concept of a Valve pre with a Class D output.[/quote]

That'll be the Tech Soundsystems Black Cat then :)

Valve pre-amp x3 and 1000 watt class D output. All the benefit of valve warmth but hiss/noise free power!

well as i said, i have the Glock double 2x12 cab. i won't say the sound is great or terrible, as it really is an un-coloured sound. so it all depends on wether or not the sound you put into it is great or terrible. so when you put something really good through it, the rewards are great! really great deffinition even when it's being pushed, very good lows and bell like highs (as you'd expect from the name). all in all it's a great cab. though i personallycrefered my Schroeder, but only because it had a bit of a mid range bump that i really liked, it certainly wasn't as clear as the Glock