Why become a member? ×

You can't beat an all valve head... I'm afraid!

dave74200

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='945959' date='Sep 5 2010, 10:09 AM']Yep!

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=675170"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=675170[/url]

Pretty much tells everything to do with it!

Am i right in saying It was Billy who pretty much shaped/designed the SVT Pro 4? My favourite Ampeg is the SVP BSP just for the distortion

Both of those are hyrbrids right? :)

Mr Billy Sheehan is no longer an Ampeg man, now a hartke man. Its a really shame and loss for ampeg![/quote]

I tried to read all of that thread - but WTF with all the religion??? Maaaaaan! I would have closed that thread!

I don't think Billy had a hand in the SVT 4 - as it's basically just the SVP Pro preamp strapped to a Mosfet power amp with some bridging options. The SVP preamp appears in the SVT 2 Pro as well, which has been around for donkeys years.

He obviously had an involvement with the BSP preamp as you have already said - though I can't remember ever seeing that he was invovled with adding that preamp PLUS the additional 'stuff' to make up the SVT5 Pro. Another thing that makes me think that he didn't get invovled with the SVT 5, is that his rig only ever had SVT4's in. Seems strange for an artist to go through such a long design process not to use the gear at all. - A bit like me waiting for my two Shukers - then never playing them I guess.

Well, if indeed Billy is over to Hartke - makes me feel a little bit smiley to think I'd been banging on about mine for so many years! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Stag' post='946579' date='Sep 5 2010, 07:43 PM']dan... I think we need to A/B the SVT and the LH1000. Just for shits and giggles. Plus it gives an opportunity for us to eat biscuits.[/quote]

Yes, plus one million! - If you give me a few days I'll have something else to bring to the table as well :)) Would be fun to hear the LH through your brutal SVT 6x10!!

[quote name='dood' post='946205' date='Sep 5 2010, 02:49 PM']Billy? Smug? Have you met the guy?[/quote]

[quote name='dood' post='946216' date='Sep 5 2010, 02:58 PM']I tried to read all of that thread - but WTF with all the religion??? Maaaaaan! I would have closed that thread!

I don't think Billy had a hand in the SVT 4 - as it's basically just the SVP Pro preamp strapped to a Mosfet power amp with some bridging options. The SVP preamp appears in the SVT 2 Pro as well, which has been around for donkeys years.

He obviously had an involvement with the BSP preamp as you have already said - though I can't remember ever seeing that he was invovled with adding that preamp PLUS the additional 'stuff' to make up the SVT5 Pro. Another thing that makes me think that he didn't get invovled with the SVT 5, is that his rig only ever had SVT4's in. Seems strange for an artist to go through such a long design process not to use the gear at all. - A bit like me waiting for my two Shukers - then never playing them I guess.

Well, if indeed Billy is over to Hartke - makes me feel a little bit smiley to think I'd been banging on about mine for so many years! :)[/quote]

I'm almost certain Billy isn't smug :rolleyes: (don't shatter my dreams haah!)

haha Nice Dood xD

I read it a while ago though i may be remembering wrong, but that ampeg worked with Him to tweak the Pro 4 much like the EBMM Bongo and John Myung, well the 6 string at least!

And stop saying Hartke, i feel some GAS bubbling, especcially as i just settled on a GK rig and i'm hoping to buy another bass!

And thats why Basschat is so good great mods!

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='946667' date='Sep 5 2010, 08:49 PM']I'm almost certain Billy isn't smug :) (don't shatter my dreams haah!)

haha Nice Dood xD

I read it a while ago though i may be remembering wrong, but that ampeg worked with Him to tweak the Pro 4 much like the EBMM Bongo and John Myung, well the 6 string at least!

And stop saying Hartke, i feel some GAS bubbling, especcially as i just settled on a GK rig and i'm hoping to buy another bass!

And thats why Basschat is so good great mods![/quote]

Ha ha ha - no. no, Billy is quite the opposite. I've met him a couple of times and he's good friends with my drummer over in L.A. Very humble chap, many will say.

Cool, well It's always possible there was more to the SVT4! I'd love to read more about Billy's involvement in gear design - I'm a geek at heart! (key) lol - see what I did there... tee hee! Ok, I won't say it anymore ! lol

[quote name='dood' post='946678' date='Sep 5 2010, 09:02 PM']Ha ha ha - no. no, Billy is quite the opposite. I've met him a couple of times and he's good friends with my drummer over in L.A. Very humble chap, many will say.

Cool, well It's always possible there was more to the SVT4! I'd love to read more about Billy's involvement in gear design - I'm a geek at heart! (key) lol - see what I did there... tee hee! Ok, I won't say it anymore ! lol[/quote]

Huh, just looked over the last few for sale amps pages, alot of Hartke gear there...

Maybe its a sign i should use Hartke?

or am i just a tiny bit of a fan boy? haha

I still haven't met billy :'( On my list of bad ass people to meet!

he is one of the truely moddest people around

[quote name='dood' post='946651' date='Sep 5 2010, 08:38 PM']Yes, plus one million! - If you give me a few days I'll have something else to bring to the table as well :)) Would be fun to hear the LH through your brutal SVT 6x10!![/quote]

I want biscuits, but only if they have SVT stamped on them. SVT Ginger Nuts... you heard it here first... im copyrighting that RIGHT NOW.

This has been the funniest thread..

First of all.. It's horses for courses,

but then it's practically.

I love the old Ampeg all valve with 8x10, but I could not take that on the tube with my London gigs/sessions.. The markbass, shuttles with sansamp, mxr all have their place

My Terror Bass and 2x10 cab is great for my needs.. tube pre, but won't break my back .. 3 gigs a week with a full valve rig .. unless, i'm on Tour and someone else is carrying it...

I do agree, you can't go from a SVT to an Ashdown ABM and say that solid state amp are not good.. that's a big step down

[quote name='dave74200' post='944207' date='Sep 3 2010, 08:50 AM']I'll let it go when everyone else does. It's a bit one sided if I have to shut up and still read of barrage of others telling me their opinions. Some of which are a load of embarrasing cobblers. Not you by the way. I can tell the guys who know their stuff apart from the little know nothings who are constantly chirping up to tell me to piss off![/quote]

:)

right! so HERE is the centre of the universe!!! I was wondering and now I know!!!

[quote name='lojo' post='962386' date='Sep 20 2010, 04:47 PM']I think if the OP posted the details of his next gig, half of the BC community would travel across the country to be there for a listen, would be great to all meet up[/quote]

Well he's never going to do that for fear that we might not agree with him :)