Why become a member? ×

You can't beat an all valve head... I'm afraid!

dave74200

[quote name='D-L-B' post='942093' date='Sep 1 2010, 02:09 PM']On a more serious note regarding tone, I have all ways approached amplification as exactly that. I want it to make what I put into it sound louder. An amplifier doesn't have 'tone', it's what it does with your tone that people are talking about.

Some amplifiers #ahem# are actually very poor at doing their proper job since they totally mangle the sound you put in to the point that no matter what goes in you all ways get the same thing out. And who wants to sound like everyone else?[/quote]

I don't totally agree with that, and no i don't want a fight :)

If this was the case we would all turn up to gigs with a bass and lead and go straight into a big PA rig.
I have had to do this in the past, when my old amp gave up the ghost at the wrong time, it wasn't a nice experience. The amp may not be the total "tone", but it definatley colours the sound.

As you can see from my signature i still have my old Bassman 135, which sounds fantastic. But for my main rig i have now changed from a 400+ all valve/ powerhouse 4x10 to a valve state combo, which i am loving. It is far more versatile for finding different tones, more portable and looks pretty cool too. It also has more power than my old rig.

cheers

thebassman

[quote name='thebassman' post='942177' date='Sep 1 2010, 02:47 PM']I don't totally agree with that, and no i don't want a fight :)

If this was the case we would all turn up to gigs with a bass and lead and go straight into a big PA rig.
I have had to do this in the past, when my old amp gave up the ghost at the wrong time, it wasn't a nice experience. The amp may not be the total "tone", but it definatley colours the sound.

As you can see from my signature i still have my old Bassman 135, which sounds fantastic. But for my main rig i have now changed from a 400+ all valve/ powerhouse 4x10 to a valve state combo, which i am loving. It is far more versatile for finding different tones, more portable and looks pretty cool too. It also has more power than my old rig.

cheers

thebassman[/quote]
Your opinion is BULL$H!T!!! :rolleyes:

It's what comes before the amp that's important and makes more difference than anything. Sh1t in equals sh1t out.

Worth remembering that you're not allowed to toggle with the EQ on the PA so your 'bad sound' could be down to that and also your bass being crap. :lol:

[quote name='D-L-B' post='942213' date='Sep 1 2010, 03:13 PM']Your opinion is BULL$H!T!!! :)

It's what comes before the amp that's important and makes more difference than anything. Sh1t in equals sh1t out.

Worth remembering that you're not allowed to toggle with the EQ on the PA so your 'bad sound' could be down to that and also your bass being crap. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Ummm, i thought we were all saying that everyones opinion is valid.

Also my bass is a Stingray.......... so obviously not crap.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='942130' date='Sep 1 2010, 02:25 PM']No, it's the new Ampeg bass has lower notes than any other bass but with lighter gauge strings it's made from the same material as the sun though so it's bit heavy[/quote]

Wow thats so cool. The question is, does it sound like an Ampeg or does it sound like a cheap alternative :)

Not much to say after 8 pages of chearfull chit chat so i'll post my [i]middle of the road [/i]rig...

I'm using a Trace Elliot GP12-X (300 TE's W) amp with both 2x10"H and 1x15" cabs and i can assure anybody that it is capable to throw the SVT back to beginning of the road... more defined and better balanced sound BUT still a tad too boomy for me. Oh!... and i'm playing with a TRB-5PII and a SR5, and better not start with the pedalboard... :rolleyes:

Entering in my 30ies i'm in the process of getting me a nice and light GB Shuttle 9.0 and a Barefaced cab (Midget T or Supertwelve T) to spare my back. I know it is not full-on-valve but i would like to hear that rig side by side with the SVT/Fridge rig, hehe! It would give a nice photo too :)

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='942254' date='Sep 1 2010, 03:39 PM']Not much to say after 8 pages of chearfull chit chat so i'll post my [i]middle of the road [/i]rig...

I'm using a Trace Elliot GP12-X (300 TE's W) amp with both 2x10"H and 1x15" cabs and i can assure anybody that it is capable to throw the SVT back to beginning of the road... more defined and better balanced sound BUT still a tad too boomy for me. Oh!... and i'm playing with a TRB-5PII and a SR5, and better not start with the pedalboard... :rolleyes:

Entering in my 30ies i'm in the process of getting me a nice and light GB Shuttle 9.0 and a Barefaced cab (Midget T or Supertwelve T) to spare my back. I know it is not full-on-valve but i would like to hear that rig side by side with the SVT/Fridge rig, hehe! It would give a nice photo too :)[/quote]

IMO go with the supertwelve - its absolutely killer!

[quote name='51m0n' post='942271' date='Sep 1 2010, 03:51 PM']IMO go with the supertwelve - its absolutely killer![/quote]

Now your GASing me... i had my mind just set to settle for the Midget cause i dont need more power than i can get with this setting and the lower small/weight would be handy. I'm having second thoughts... again... :)

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='942284' date='Sep 1 2010, 03:59 PM']Now your GASing me... i had my mind just set to settle for the Midget cause i dont need more power than i can get with this setting and the lower small/weight would be handy. I'm having second thoughts... again... :)[/quote]

Sorry, but I compared the Supertwelve to my rig and its damnably good IMO....

Reading this thread has made me realise where I've been going wrong. I've been putting my amp on stage and using it to amplify my bass. I now realise I should have been stuffing it down the front of my trousers and using it to demonstrate my superior manhood. D'oh!

[quote name='jakesbass' post='942081' date='Sep 1 2010, 02:04 PM']Hello Boys...
just saying hello cos haven't been around for a while (been busy) and I noticed that most of Basschat was in here :)
anyway here's a nice pic of me playing a really beautiful 200 year old german double bass that was provided by the promoter at my gig in Hamburg over the weekend.
I didn't use an amp so sorry for the topic derail :lol:
[attachment=57893:IMG_0197.jpg]
This bass is insured for €30,000 it was a bit heavy but not as bad as an Ampeg :o :rolleyes:[/quote]

I think you'll find that bass was once owned by Mr A Hitler which he played through his Ampeg. It's quite well known the Ampeg was the amp of choice for his entire Panzer AbteilungAmpeg 51 Division (Armoured Attack Ampeg's) which crushed the shoulders of all the inferior lightweight attack amp carrying troops the allied forces were forced to go into combat with.

[quote name='Hamster' post='942363' date='Sep 1 2010, 05:06 PM']I think you'll find that bass was once owned by Mr A Hitler which he played through his Ampeg. It's quite well known the Ampeg was the amp of choice for his entire Panzer AbteilungAmpeg 51 Division (Armoured Attack Ampeg's) which crushed the shoulders of all the inferior lightweight attack amp carrying troops the allied forces were forced to go into combat with.[/quote]

Ah but what Hitler did not take into account was the Trace Elliot V (Valve) Rockets which punched a massive hole in the Panzer AbteilungAmpeg 51 Division (Armoured Attack Ampeg's). It was quite a turning point in the war :)

Got the point Dave, wished you had kept your old Ampeg thingy, same with me, wish I had kept my V8 but then I would still be paying either a lot of money to the back doctor or the pair of roadies!

However, me thinks I would look bloody stupid turning up to the Dog and Bacon with a 8 x 10 and an SVT, in the same way that I would look pathetic standing on the monster stage with a Kickback 12!

And that is why there are so many different setups, some for looks, some for sound, some for weight and some for people who have more money than sense!

Current rigs are

Trace 1 x 15 Combo with 2 x 10 cab

Orange Terror 500 with Epi 4 x 10 and Epi 1 x15

Line 6 Lowdown 15

Kickback 12

And a Mark Bass thing that I don't like much and if someone wants to buy it let me know, think its a 501 head, or it may be a 503.

Tried SVT, not my cup of tea, Loved my V8, now got something for any day of the week depending on where I am playing so for me there is no such thing as a perfect rig and I think it is the same for most people which is why the 2nd hand market is so rich with choice.

By the way bet your glad that you poped in and shared your thoughts with us!

Edited by sixshooter

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='941752' date='Sep 1 2010, 09:48 AM']I have a f***ing heavy Ampeg but have heard just a good of a tone through a Sansamp and a Mark Bass head but I can't get it because I'm not a very good bass player so I need the Ampeg to make me sound good, maybe me and you have that in common.[/quote]

Wayne = Legend - amazed this didn't get picked up earlier? :)

Edited by Mykesbass

Please someone tell me why I have just read through 9 pages of this........this!

I'm with silddx, buy a POD and have any tone and or sound you want, make your bass sound like a family of chimps with flatulence if you want :)

One highlight of the thread though, that picture of Jake in his best bib and tucker, very fetching and the monocle a very nice addition.

[quote name='dave74200' post='941896' date='Sep 1 2010, 11:54 AM']What about Mike Inez, Geezer Butler, Tim Commerford and [b]Jason Newstead[/b]?[/quote]

What [i]about[/i] him? Cause If he´s the bloke from that Metallica cover band, who looks exactly like Jason [b]News[u]ted[/u][/b], then he´ll be doing the same as his ALMOST- namesake and switching from SVT´s to SWR (hybrid) heads and Mesa Boogie cabs when playing live and only using his old Ampegs in the studio then.

[quote name='dave74200' post='941976' date='Sep 1 2010, 12:58 PM']Adult literacy might be an option for him![/quote]

Physician, heal thyself!

Also:
"Newsted's statement revealed his departure was based on "private and personal reasons and the physical damage I have done to myself over the years while playing the music that I love."- Must´ve been from lugging all those SVT´s and 810´s around :)

Seriously though, I love my Marshall VBA full rig, but I only ever get to use it at the bigger/outdoor venues-my Ampeg SVT4 PRO and 6x10HLF are more than plenty for most of the clubs and venues we play of late and they sound fantastic-everything an SVT can do tone-wise, with 4 times the power!.
Oh and at 100w louder than any all-valve SVT, the VBA400 P**SES on it (SVT) from a great height (2 x 4x12´s are taller than an Ampeg 8x10 anyways :rolleyes: )
I´ve owned and tried loads of solid-state,hybrid and all valve amps and while the SVT looks the mutt´s bra (genius), there are loads of better amps out there-not all of them are valve-monsters either! Guess tone and power requirements are all subjective points anyway as are transport and weight etc. I love Ampeg, but couldn´t be bothered getting the 2PRO or SVT CL when I know there´s better amps around!

This threat was an entertaining affair, for the most part. I´d definately give it a 3 out of 5, but there were plenty of plot-holes, the main antagonist´s performance was contrived and overdone in many places and there was a lack of overall focus I felt.
Still an enjoyable effort,
Keep up the good work.

The one time I used an Ampeg Classic head a tube went. This was in a guitar shop where I was trying out a bass. Side by side I thought the Aguilar DB 750 was a bit superior tonewise even before the Ampeg broke down.

I would go all-tube but I don't like the idea of the constant upkeep costs and fear that a power tube would go in the middle of the gig. I don't think I'm really sacrificing anything when I'm playing a hybrid head at a gig (EBS Fafner, Mesa Walkabout until recently). After a certain point I think that good tone comes from whether you can actually play bass rather than whether you have an all-valve amp head or not.