Why become a member? ×

You can't beat an all valve head... I'm afraid!

dave74200

I wonder if this is the same Dave74200 that was selling on Ebay a Squire Precision, a Warwick Bass Combo, a Trace cab, and an Ampeg SVT4 head and an Ashdown ABM head. He said the Warwick sounds lovely and the Ashdown is a professional gigging amp and sounds awesome and you can dial in any tone you want. Any tone apart from an Ampeg one :) I wonder if he used that along with the Squire when he played to those 10,000 fans. It does say in the advert that the band he was playing in folded. He's also sold about 15 Fender basses and a couple of Stingrays and a couple Ashdown combo. He sure likes Ashdown. Looks like he has been a busy boy. He's also sold a Vauxhall Corsa but alas, no Ferrari :rolleyes:

Hello Boys...
just saying hello cos haven't been around for a while (been busy) and I noticed that most of Basschat was in here :)
anyway here's a nice pic of me playing a really beautiful 200 year old german double bass that was provided by the promoter at my gig in Hamburg over the weekend.
I didn't use an amp so sorry for the topic derail :lol:
[attachment=57893:IMG_0197.jpg]
This bass is insured for €30,000 it was a bit heavy but not as bad as an Ampeg :o :rolleyes:

On a more serious note regarding tone, I have all ways approached amplification as exactly that. I want it to make what I put into it sound louder. An amplifier doesn't have 'tone', it's what it does with your tone that people are talking about.
Some amplifiers are able to approximate a sound that you are more familiar with because you've listened to other people's recordings but there's no guarantee this tone will work in the context of all the other tones being produced by other band members.

Some amplifiers #ahem# are actually very poor at doing their proper job since they totally mangle the sound you put in to the point that no matter what goes in you all ways get the same thing out. And who wants to sound like everyone else?

Barring the statistical probability of someone eventually guessing right, There's not a single person out there who could listen to my recordings and tell me beyond all doubt what gear I've used to achieve each tone.

Edited by D-L-B

I played a gig the other day and afterwards asked my neighbour who was playing in a band after us what he thought of the tone. He said he didn't like that "peavey sound". I pressed him on it, and he didn't have any comment on the actual frequency content, dynamics, timbre etc, he just didn't like "that peavey sound".

there are all sorts of strange prejudices surrounding gear and tone.

[quote name='D-L-B' post='942093' date='Sep 1 2010, 02:09 PM']Barring the statistical probability of someone eventually guessing right, There's not a single person out there who could listen to my recordings and tell me beyond all doubt what gear I've used to achieve each tone.[/quote]

There's a member on here who swears they can tell if someone's using an ampeg rig from outside the venue.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='942081' date='Sep 1 2010, 02:04 PM']Hello Boys...
just saying hello cos haven't been around for a while (been busy) and I noticed that most of Basschat was in here :)
anyway here's a nice pic of me playing a really beautiful 200 year old german double bass that was provided by the promoter at my gig in Hamburg over the weekend.
This bass is insured for €30,000 it was a bit heavy but not as bad as an Ampeg :o :rolleyes:[/quote]

Whats that in the background, it has 6 strings? Is that a geetar? You bad man, how dare you post that on a bass forum :o

[quote name='Tony Goggle' post='942117' date='Sep 1 2010, 02:18 PM']My good friend Dave is correct!!!!

You peasants haven't got a clue!!!

I used 13 SVT heads through 27 8x10 cabs back on the 'Electric Sandwich Bifurcation' tour. The biggest sound ever heard in bass history!!!!

FACT[/quote]

The King of Kings (and bass players alike) has spoken :)

[quote name='cheddatom' post='942105' date='Sep 1 2010, 02:14 PM']There's a member on here who swears they can tell if someone's using an ampeg rig from outside the venue.[/quote]
In much the same way, I can tell the smell of sh!t from the other side of the cubicle door

[quote name='Linus27' post='942115' date='Sep 1 2010, 02:16 PM']Whats that in the background, it has 6 strings? Is that a geetar? You bad man, how dare you post that on a bass forum :)[/quote]
No, it's the new Ampeg bass has lower notes than any other bass but with lighter gauge strings it's made from the same material as the sun though so it's bit heavy

[quote name='Tony Goggle' post='942117' date='Sep 1 2010, 02:18 PM']I used 13 SVT heads through 27 8x10 cabs back on the 'Electric Sandwich Bifurcation' tour. The biggest sound ever heard in bass history!!!!

FACT[/quote]
I hesitate, nay tremble at the thought, to contradict the legend that is Tony Goggle, but I've always thought Disaster Area was the loudest rock band the galaxy has ever heard, although I don't believe the bass player's rig has ever been adequately documented.

[url="http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Disaster_Area"]http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Disaster_Area[/url]

[quote name='flyfisher' post='942138' date='Sep 1 2010, 02:28 PM']I hesitate, nay tremble at the thought, to contradict the legend that is Tony Goggle, but I've always thought Disaster Area was the loudest rock band the galaxy has ever heard, although I don't believe the bass player's rig has ever been adequately documented.

[url="http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Disaster_Area"]http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Disaster_Area[/url][/quote]

There's a difference between loudest and biggest sound prole!!!!

Anyway. I did some roughing out of the Disaster Area band and some other stuff in 'Hikers with my good friend Dougie Adams years ago. Chap with the two heads in it was based on me!!!

[quote name='jakesbass' post='942081' date='Sep 1 2010, 02:04 PM']Hello Boys...
This bass is insured for €30,000 it was a bit heavy but not as bad as an Ampeg :o :rolleyes:[/quote]

Digging the monocle baby!

Thats a very fine looking instrument, but it doesnt have tubes so it must be a dud. Please tell your promoter to rectify this for next time....

Oh and at this point I dont think its possible to derail this thread, it was derailed on the first post