Why become a member? ×

You can't beat an all valve head... I'm afraid!

dave74200

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='941909' date='Sep 1 2010, 12:07 PM']SVT2: solid state rectifier, ruins the tone.[/quote]
Oh come on. Some of you obviously don't agree with me and I perfectly accept that. I can also see exactly what many of you are saying. Very sensible and worthwhile. But this guy is just talking sh*te man! Nobody on here can tell me that an SVT is sh*t. Some may prefer other tones etc but come on!

Of [i]course [/i]valves are best, they're from ye olde days and ye olde days were best because [b]there was no wi-fi or mobile net connections back then, so Troll's couldn't get online from underneath the bridges where they live[/b].

I like this thread, it's the first time I've had a reason to use this smiley :snob:

But I can't post without being constructive, so...I've used gear because I like it, I've used gear because it's what the "heavyweights of the bassworld used". In all cases I've had some nice sounds, some bad sounds, and I'm still searching for MY sound. If I end up a million miles away or right next to the heavyweights I don't care. It'll be my sound, and at that point I'll need a grin-ectomy before I can show any other facial expression!

[quote name='dave74200' post='941910' date='Sep 1 2010, 12:10 PM']Oh come on. Some of you obviously don't agree with me and I perfectly accept that. I can also see exactly what many of you are saying. Very sensible and worthwhile. But this guy is just talking sh*te man! Nobody on here can tell me that an SVT is sh*t. Some may prefer other tones etc but come on![/quote]

Well anyone is welcome to their opinion, and if a bass head cant give me my tone at the volume I need it to, then it is not fit for purpose, and that my friend, is a polite way of saying it is dogs a**e fruit....

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='941915' date='Sep 1 2010, 12:14 PM']your replies are a bit selective dave... You still haven't told us where you gig so we can all hear you play with this 'super tone'[/quote]
Oh, I know. I'll give you my band's website so you can all insult me on that shall I?

so yeah, i'd love to have a nice big tube amp head. not an svt2-pro i'd rather have either a marshall vba400 or a matamp... but i just don't have a. the money or b. the room for them. Ar you prejudiced against those less fortunate? nazi?
Anyway for a working musician, having a more lightweight setup pays. Theres no point in me carting a fridge and 3 ton amp into every small pub and club that i play when half the power and speakers would suffice.
Anyway i feel that my v-type preamp gets pretty close to the tone i have in my head, it may not be perfect, but its only me who will ever notice.

[quote name='dave74200' post='941914' date='Sep 1 2010, 12:14 PM']Apparently so. You'd better iron your uniform Chuck![/quote]

Excellent, I needed to shed a few years. Ta.
Btw, I think your rig is very nice.
Too expensive (and heavy) for me, I've got two teenagers to support, and a back problem.

I also think there are better ways to make your point than slamming everything else. I also spent way too much time fixing my old vox/fender all tube guitar amps, and want reliability over all else now, yay solid state!

[quote name='Colledge' post='941920' date='Sep 1 2010, 12:17 PM']so yeah, i'd love to have a nice big tube amp head. not an svt2-pro i'd rather have either a marshall vba400 or a matamp... but i just don't have a. the money or b. the room for them. Ar you prejudiced against those less fortunate? nazi?
Anyway for a working musician, having a more lightweight setup pays. Theres no point in me carting a fridge and 3 ton amp into every small pub and club that i play when half the power and speakers would suffice.
Anyway i feel that my v-type preamp gets pretty close to the tone i have in my head, it may not be perfect, but its only me who will ever notice.[/quote]
I disagree sir. Everyone notices. Many won't care as you obviously don't, but they'll notice. I saw a local band who all used little combo amps, the bass player had a one speaker amp, and they sounded really bad. The PA engineer described his job as, 'trying to polish a turd'!

[quote name='dave74200' post='941924' date='Sep 1 2010, 12:20 PM']I disagree sir. Everyone notices. Many won't care as you obviously don't, but they'll notice. I saw a local band who all used little combo amps, the bass player had a one speaker amp, and they sounded really bad. The PA engineer described his job as, 'trying to polish a turd'![/quote]
\none of us are saying that a small combo amp is as good as a fully blow pro bass rig.
this debate is about solid state vs. ampeg svt2-pro

i for instance use an old trace 15 and even older 80's marshall 4x10 with a dreaded hybrid head, it is by no means a polished turd or weedy. it serves my purposes perfectly, it might not be exactly the tone in my head, but that tone is in my head, no-one elses.

[quote name='dave74200' post='941924' date='Sep 1 2010, 12:20 PM']I disagree sir. Everyone notices. Many won't care as you obviously don't, but they'll notice. I saw a local band who all used little combo amps, the bass player had a one speaker amp, and they sounded really bad. The PA engineer described his job as, 'trying to polish a turd'![/quote]

More trolling rubbish!

You arent comapring like for like hear for a start. Secondly a decent PA is all about FOH sound, the engineer could care less for a big rigf then - the spill from big cabs is very detrimental.

A small miced guitar cab (say a 6 to 15 watt single 12" coned combo) is plenty for a aguitarist to hear himslef, and will break up beautifully, mic it and let the sound guy put that to FOH and monitors. Similarly with bass, a 112 at the right height is enough of a monitor if you are doing the big PA thing. Mic'ed or DI'ed is fine, what a sound guy doesnt want is a stupid great 810 getting in the way and spewing out hideous amounts of rumble into the kick mic, snare mic, etc etc etc. You aint done any FOH have you? Good quality amps that deliver just enough volume to satisfy the players and do a slittle else beyond that as possible are the answer to every decent sound engineers dream. This applies up to 40K rigs (thats the biggest rig I have ever personally run).

Furthermore, as previously stated even bassists struggle to determine the difference in tone from an Ampeg B1 and an MB LMII, punters dont even know there is a bassist on the stage!

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='941930' date='Sep 1 2010, 12:24 PM']+1 count me in[/quote]
The issue is, there's no real standard on here is there. I could be having a debate with people who are pro musicians or people who can barely play the bass or have a sh*t sound anyway. Who knows? My original post was intended for anyone who has a big heavy valve amp and is thinking of selling it for something more portable. I regretted it big time and think they would too. My last crowd was 10,000 and I need a big rig, and love the tone it gives me. I searched every other make and model and couldn't find anything that came close. That's all.... was just a bit of advice, didn't realise it'd ruffle so many feathers!

[quote name='51m0n' post='941933' date='Sep 1 2010, 12:28 PM']More trolling rubbish!

You arent comapring like for like hear for a start. Secondly a decent PA is all about FOH sound, the engineer could care less for a big rigf then - the spill from big cabs is very detrimental.

A small miced guitar cab (say a 6 to 15 watt single 12" coned combo) is plenty for a aguitarist to hear himslef, and will break up beautifully, mic it and let the sound guy put that to FOH and monitors. Similarly with bass, a 112 at the right height is enough of a monitor if you are doing the big PA thing. Mic'ed or DI'ed is fine, what a sound guy doesnt want is a stupid great 810 getting in the way and spewing out hideous amounts of rumble into the kick mic, snare mic, etc etc etc. You aint done any FOH have you? Good quality amps that deliver just enough volume to satisfy the players and do a slittle else beyond that as possible are the answer to every decent sound engineers dream. This applies up to 40K rigs (thats the biggest rig I have ever personally run).

Furthermore, as previously stated even bassists struggle to determine the difference in tone from an Ampeg B1 and an MB LMII, punters dont even know there is a bassist on the stage![/quote]
So why don't all bands use stuff they can get in the back of a car and save on transport and road crew costs?

[quote name='dave74200' post='941531' date='Aug 31 2010, 11:02 PM']So you get the exact full tube sound of an svt 2 pro with that? Bullshit. Go get a line 6 lowdown, they do ampeg too![/quote]

[quote name='dave74200' post='941542' date='Aug 31 2010, 11:14 PM']Anyone who knows what they're talking about like to add a comment?[/quote]

still wondering why you ruffled feathers? with first posts like that.

[quote name='dave74200' post='941542' date='Aug 31 2010, 11:14 PM']Anyone who knows what they're talking about like to add a comment?[/quote]

I think it was about here that you lost your audience...

That tends to ruffle feathers, especially since an awful lot of us on here are pro/semi-pro and been doing so for years.

We also don't know what standard you are, you could be a spoiled 16 year old gobsh*te with an amp from mummy, you could be an overpaid banker who HAD to have the right rig, or you could be an honest to goodness bassist with an opinion and no way of putting it tactfully.
Take your pick (or enlighten us)

[quote name='dave74200' post='941941' date='Sep 1 2010, 12:33 PM']So why don't all bands use stuff they can get in the back of a car and save on transport and road crew costs?[/quote]

I think you'll find 99% of gigging bands do just that! I'd love two 4x12s, but they're not going to fit in our Peugeot Expert with a drumkit and guitar cabs, so I use a single Schroeder 4x10. It sounds fantastic though so... why go bigger?

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='941944' date='Sep 1 2010, 12:35 PM']I think it was about here that you lost your audience...

That tends to ruffle feathers, especially since an awful lot of us on here are pro/semi-pro and been doing so for years.

We also don't know what standard you are, you could be a spoiled 16 year old gobsh*te with an amp from mummy, you could be an overpaid banker who HAD to have the right rig, or you could be an honest to goodness bassist with an opinion and no way of putting it tactfully.
Take your pick (or enlighten us)[/quote]
Of course I could be but i'm not. And, as I said, putting my band's website on here would not be a good idea would it. My posts you refer to were retaliation for the barrage of posts I recieved telling me I was talking sh*te.