Why become a member? ×

You can't beat an all valve head... I'm afraid!

dave74200

I`ve not got an all-valve head, but do have a Marshall DBS 7400 which is very heavy. Coupled with my Marshall VBC 4x12, its certainly a rig that is awkward to get about. But, whenever I go to see bands, whilst I might like the sound of the bass through the smaller equipment that many seem to have now, I just don`t seem to hear the depth of sound that a large rig gives.

Whether or not either is better is a personal opinion for the individual. My opinion though, is back-breaking stacks, not easily portable gear are the best.

[quote name='dave74200' post='941747' date='Sep 1 2010, 09:42 AM']As predicted, a stream of bass players with middle of the road amps trying to justify why the have them. Look at what the pro's use guys and ask yourself why? Don't see many of these 'little' bass amps on TV do ya![/quote]

But then again, they don't have to carry them.

[quote name='dave74200' post='941478' date='Aug 31 2010, 09:02 PM']If you care about tone and power, buy an all valve Ampeg head, it's the dogs bra![/quote]
Get a Trace V8 like me. Better sounding and more versatile. I use a Shuttle 6 though, its lighter.

[quote name='dave74200' post='941748' date='Sep 1 2010, 09:43 AM']As predicted, .... {snipped}[/quote]

If you predicted such a response, then you knew that what you were posting was designed to be inflammatory. We all enjoy a good laugh - and yes, we're definitely having one - though probably at your expense. I don't believe for one second that you truly believe what you are saying and think you are just trolling for effect.

Unfortunately for you, as you will find - history has shown that BassChatters being the friendly bunch they are, take exception to trolling. You're probably gonna find that you will be starting off on the wrong foot!

If you want a balanced discussion - why not give us a bit more background about yourself and how your experiences give you such a strong feeling that your Ampeg is the best in the world? You'll get a much better reply if you want to discuss something in an adult fashion rather than wading in telling us what you think and that our opinions are null.

- I'm actually a big fan of the SVT 2 Pro - I owned one for many years and ran it in to two Hartke 4.5XL cabs. Yes, it was an awesome awesome tone - I don't deny that one bit - but the weight of the rig was a nightmare for a busy bass player. I can get an equally good tone from other non-valve or non-Ampeg gear which by luck also happens to be a fraction of the weight! Nice!

This has lightened up my day...so much...!!!

FWIW, used plenty of Ampegs, thanks very much.

Decent sound..although a one trick pony. Cabs ( 8x10) were poor, IMO.
I preferred the big Boogies and the cabs over Ampeg, but hey, because the Pros are using them, I best rethink my whole experience.

Thank you for posting this.

:) :rolleyes: :lol: :o :o

[quote name='J.R.Bass' post='941801' date='Sep 1 2010, 10:26 AM'][url="http://www.tcelectronic.com/bass_artists.asp"]http://www.tcelectronic.com/bass_artists.asp[/url]

That's a fairly powerful list of endorsee's for a pretty new 'little amp'.[/quote]
Hardly any heavyweights of the bass world are there?

[quote name='51m0n' post='941776' date='Sep 1 2010, 10:04 AM']HAHHAHHAHAHAAAAA!!!

You sooo funny G.I.!

Personal opinion here, but I absolutely hate the SVT 'tone'. I feel better for saying that already.

When you crank them they dont do a very good job of clean, the cab (that big ole 810 crapola coffin) is only good for lofi bass sounds, and it weighs as much as a car.

You dont happen to say what cabs you are using though, and that is as much to do with your tone (in some case a lot more) than the amp.

Please enlighten me grasshopper, your nonsense is highly entertaining, no really carry on, please....[/quote]
OK. I have the USA SVT 2 pro, an Ampeg classic 8x10 cab, Musicman Stingray and USA Fender Precision. A load of sh*t to be sneered at obviously!

[quote name='dave74200' post='941875' date='Sep 1 2010, 11:43 AM']Hardly any heavyweights of the bass world are there?[/quote]

Oh come on now you do come across as a prat!

Randy Jackson, Richard Bona, Rocco Prestia, Esperanza Spalding!!!!

Go back to playing guitar...

[quote name='dave74200' post='941881' date='Sep 1 2010, 11:46 AM']OK. I have the USA SVT 2 pro, an Ampeg classic 8x10 cab, Musicman Stingray and USA Fender Precision. A load of sh*t to be sneered at obviously![/quote]

Yeah, but my dad is bigger than your dad.

[quote name='dave74200' post='941881' date='Sep 1 2010, 11:46 AM']....OK. I have the USA SVT 2 pro, an Ampeg classic 8x10 cab, Musicman Stingray and USA Fender Precision. A load of sh*t to be sneered at obviously!....[/quote]
We're replying to your silly posts because of your rudeness and general bad attitude, not sneering at your gear. Why can't you see that?

[quote name='chris_b' post='941892' date='Sep 1 2010, 11:52 AM']We're replying to your silly posts because of your rudeness and general bad attitude, not sneering at your gear. Why can't you see that?[/quote]
I'm not being rude, just honest. I'm the one being called a prat and all sorts of other things just for telling the truth!

[quote name='dave74200' post='941881' date='Sep 1 2010, 11:46 AM']OK. I have the USA SVT 2 pro, an Ampeg classic 8x10 cab, Musicman Stingray and USA Fender Precision. A load of sh*t to be sneered at obviously![/quote]

Ooooh a urination competition! My rigs better than yours nerh-ne-ne-nerh-nerh. Can I play too then?

Like I said I find the inherent Ampeg tone very limiting, especially at volume, the 810 cab is damnably inefficient, given its size and weight.

If you like it though thats fine, if that is the tone you want (classic rock) then great, I'm really please for you.

BUT dont tell me that it even comes close to my rig for what I want, you dont see Bergantino cabs behind people on TV cos Jim Bergantino will not give anyone an endorsement deal, he just doesnt do that (not even for Vic W) - his shizzle is truly boutique baby.

They are pretty well regarded though, certainly at least as well regarded as an 810. In fact if you want to get a better sounding smaller cab along the same lines you need to get a Bergantino nv610, its considered a modern slayer of that old coffin you dig.

The ae410 is very very very highly regarded, and a mosntrous cab, for tone, portability, construction and volume.

The versatility and organic warmth of my sa450 is legendary, in a very short time. There have been plenty of tests online to prove that bassists (let alone the public) cant tell an LMII (cut down version of the sa450) from an Ampeg B1, if thats the sound you want to get out of it. But I can get alot more tones from mine, and it is light as a feather....

Oh and I see you P and 'Ray and raise you a Roscoe baby. Game set and match for me from my perspective (clearly not from yours, but that is the beauty of bass tones, there are so many if you choose to look into it).

The elements of this rig have a beautiful synergy, they work to gether incredibly well to deliver a vast array of tones, all of which are sublimely clear and beautiful in context.

I wouldnt trade my rig for yours if you paid me a couple of grand to, and promised to be my roady and haulage too...