Why become a member? ×

You can't beat an all valve head... I'm afraid!

dave74200

[quote name='dave74200' post='941478' date='Aug 31 2010, 10:02 PM']Many people on these forums seem to be kidding themselves, and others, by pretending you can get 'that' tone out of these little bass heads or portable combos. YOU CAN'T I'M AFRAID![/quote]

Good - 'cos Ampegs and "that tone" sound cack.

...although I do like the B15 cos it looks cute.

Although it may be true that you cant get an all valve tone from a non all valve amp, i personally think that an early eden amp had the best sound of any amp ive ever used, and i have used an ampeg sv t2 and a mesa boogie 400+, although ive never used a trace v type. Plus speaker cabs have a real big influence on quality of tone aswell so its hard to just compare the amps in most real life situations.

Edited by Tdw

I think this brings in to question what is 'valve tone'? (refering to what the amplifier sounds like specifically, not how it 'feels' to play which isn't in discussion here).

Certainly we have seen blind tests here and on TalkBass where people are unable to tell the difference between a valve head and a solidstate one - so to say that all valve heads sound better (as an example) is a bit pointless, unless you strap 'IMO' on the end of your sentence :)

While we HAVE been told, in no uncertain terms I'll put in MY 2c. I DO like Ampeg SVT tone.
I DO own a '91 SVTII the NON 'PRO' version, & I'm telling YOU - THAT Amp cr@ps all over a SVT2PRO !!!!!!!

There, You've been told. Suck that sav!!!!!!!!

;-)

& More Seriously - I DO use a LMII & VT bass pedal too when I feel like it.

BUT against ALL my thinking My Mesa WALKABOUT scout 12" combo sounds DAMN awesome & more 'vintage' than any amp I've tried. I LOVE IT!

BUT I Still us the SVTII when I wanna & the LMII etc when I feel like it...

I like all their differing tones!

Edited by rodl2005

[quote name='rodl2005' post='941662' date='Sep 1 2010, 06:34 AM']My Mesa WALKABOUT scout 12" combo sounds DAMN awesome & more 'vintage' than any amp I've tried. I LOVE IT![/quote]

+1 which is consistent with the original post; we all think that what we own is the best :)

C

IME, you can have the best tone in the world and one dodgy ride cymbal can completely wipe it out.

Personally, I have no idea what anyone is talking about. I go to a shop, try an amp and, if I can get a good sound/volume I need out of it, I'm away. I have no idea what's 'under the bonnet'. Could be a squirrel on a running wheel for all I know. I think there are a lot of red herrings out there posing as facts.

As predicted, a stream of sh!te comes out the new guys mouth in an attempt to ruffle the feathers of the regulars.

Where you from? 'cos there will deffinitly be a few basschatters near you who i'm sure would be happy to come and see you gig to experience this 'super tone' for themselves :)

Ah, that's better. This thread has injected some much-needed mirth into my day. Thank you, strange troll-man. :)

[quote name='dave74200' post='941748' date='Sep 1 2010, 09:43 AM']As predicted, a stream of bass players with middle of the road amps trying to justify why they have them.[/quote]

Ah, the ironing is delicious.

[quote name='dave74200' post='941478' date='Aug 31 2010, 10:02 PM']I was the owner of an all valve Ampeg SVT 2 pro head. I loved the tone but felt it was too big and heavy, and needed revalving every 2 years etc..........
'Buy a lighter, more compact amp I thought,' 'I'll get a good enough tone with half the weight and size.' I sold it and bought an Ashdown ABM 500, which was a good enough amp but not a patch on the SVT 2. I sold that and went through a series of hybrid and solid state amps (Ashdown, Trace Elliot, Warwick)regretting every day selling the SVT. It was like selling a Ferrari and buying a Vauxhall Corsa.
Anyway, to cut a long story short, I've just gone full circle and bought another SVT 2 Pro and am again totally blown away by the tone of it. Balls to the weight or size etc... It is the best tone you'll ever, ever get.
Many people on these forums seem to be kidding themselves, and others, by pretending you can get 'that' tone out of these little bass heads or portable combos. YOU CAN'T I'M AFRAID!
If you care about tone and power, buy an all valve Ampeg head, it's the dogs bra![/quote]

HAHHAHHAHAHAAAAA!!!

You sooo funny G.I.!

Personal opinion here, but I absolutely hate the SVT 'tone'. I feel better for saying that already.

When you crank them they dont do a very good job of clean, the cab (that big ole 810 crapola coffin) is only good for lofi bass sounds, and it weighs as much as a car.

You dont happen to say what cabs you are using though, and that is as much to do with your tone (in some case a lot more) than the amp.

Please enlighten me grasshopper, your nonsense is highly entertaining, no really carry on, please....