Why become a member? ×

You can't beat an all valve head... I'm afraid!

dave74200

I was the owner of an all valve Ampeg SVT 2 pro head. I loved the tone but felt it was too big and heavy, and needed revalving every 2 years etc..........
'Buy a lighter, more compact amp I thought,' 'I'll get a good enough tone with half the weight and size.' I sold it and bought an Ashdown ABM 500, which was a good enough amp but not a patch on the SVT 2. I sold that and went through a series of hybrid and solid state amps (Ashdown, Trace Elliot, Warwick)regretting every day selling the SVT. It was like selling a Ferrari and buying a Vauxhall Corsa.
Anyway, to cut a long story short, I've just gone full circle and bought another SVT 2 Pro and am again totally blown away by the tone of it. Balls to the weight or size etc... It is the best tone you'll ever, ever get.
Many people on these forums seem to be kidding themselves, and others, by pretending you can get 'that' tone out of these little bass heads or portable combos. YOU CAN'T I'M AFRAID!
If you care about tone and power, buy an all valve Ampeg head, it's the dogs bra!

[quote name='dave74200' post='941478' date='Aug 31 2010, 10:02 PM']....It was like selling a Ferrari and buying a Vauxhall Corsa....[/quote]
The amps you listed aren't in the same league as the Ampeg so it's no surprise that they didn't match up.

[quote name='dave74200' post='941478' date='Aug 31 2010, 10:02 PM']I was the owner of an all valve Ampeg SVT 2 pro head. I loved the tone but felt it was too big and heavy, and needed revalving every 2 years etc..........
'Buy a lighter, more compact amp I thought,' 'I'll get a good enough tone with half the weight and size.' I sold it and bought an Ashdown ABM 500, which was a good enough amp but not a patch on the SVT 2. I sold that and went through a series of hybrid and solid state amps (Ashdown, Trace Elliot, Warwick)regretting every day selling the SVT. It was like selling a Ferrari and buying a Vauxhall Corsa.
Anyway, to cut a long story short, I've just gone full circle and bought another SVT 2 Pro and am again totally blown away by the tone of it. Balls to the weight or size etc... It is the best tone you'll ever, ever get.
Many people on these forums seem to be kidding themselves, and others, by pretending you can get 'that' tone out of these little bass heads or portable combos. YOU CAN'T I'M AFRAID!
If you care about tone and power, buy an all valve Ampeg head, it's the dogs bra![/quote]

TC electronic RH450 is a good trade off for valve/old school tone, obviously its not the real thing, but its not heavy either, good enough for my level of playing (and used by ex ampeg pros, if you believe the endorsements)

Also just noticed you compared a ABM, i use one sometimes (not my choice) and like it no more than the mag stuff, but if it where an ampeg set up for me, Id be smiling

Edited by lojo

Well, as an ex-Ampeg owner, my Markbass and Sansamp do the job. All the tone, a fraction of the weight. I'd say IMHO, but that doesn't seem to be where this thread's at...so that's a definite. Anyone who disagrees is clearly kidding themselves... :)

[quote name='Muzz' post='941526' date='Aug 31 2010, 10:57 PM']Well, as an ex-Ampeg owner, my Markbass and Sansamp do the job. All the tone, a fraction of the weight. I'd say IMHO, but that doesn't seem to be where this thread's at...so that's a definite. Anyone who disagrees is clearly kidding themselves... :)[/quote]
So you get the exact full tube sound of an svt 2 pro with that? Bullshit. Go get a line 6 lowdown, they do ampeg too!

[quote name='Muzz' post='941532' date='Aug 31 2010, 11:05 PM']Yes, I do. Ner ner ner... :)[/quote]
Well I don't believe you. I tried the setup you boast about and it was a flimsy imposter. Try A/B ing the two and you'll find out that you have an extremely weak alternative to the real thing, wether you like it or not!

[quote name='Merton' post='941533' date='Aug 31 2010, 11:08 PM']I'm glad you like Ampegs, someone has to buy them coz personally I think they sound sh*t :lol: It's all about (solid state) Eden for me thesedays :rolleyes:[/quote]

[quote name='dave74200' post='941538' date='Aug 31 2010, 11:11 PM']Urghhh![/quote]

:)

Well, although the OP has stated his point about as reasonably as Jeremy Clarkson putting a point across to Al Gore, I'm inclined to agree, you can't beat the sound of a valve amp at full tilt. I use a Sansamp/power amp because I want that tone at a fraction of the cost and weight (and it does a fantastic job at that) but I have to admit, if I had a roadie (and the cash), I'd probably still pick the real thing. I do love my current set up though, so I'd be in no rush to do it!

I'd probably pick a Mesa 400+, Trace V8 or a Matamp myself though.

[quote]Many people on these forums seem to be kidding themselves, and others, by pretending you can get [b]'that' tone[/b] out of these little bass heads or portable combos. YOU CAN'T I'M AFRAID![/quote]

Well there ya go. We have been told! :)