Why become a member? ×

Indestructible Mic Stand

BigRedX

Our singer is somewhat energetic on stage and in the course of the last 4 gigs has destroyed 3 mic stands while performing. As this is getting somewhat costly, can I please have some recommendations for stands that will take serious abuse during a gig.

There are some things that we know we need specifications-wise:

1. Straight stand. No boom arms as these tend to be reduced to metal spaghetti after a single song. It would be cool if the top part of the stand came apart from the bottom.

2. Round base, no legs - see boom stands.

You suggestions appreciated!

Actually it doesn't. He's already paid for the 3 he's broken. Besides the whole point of playing live is to [b]PUT ON A SHOW[/b] and part of that is our singer going wild. We just need a quality stand that will do the job properly.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='clauster' post='941129' date='Aug 31 2010, 05:17 PM']My singer's new Hercules mic stand has lasted two gigs so far, which is a bit of record[/quote]
If it's built anything like the guitar stands it'll be history after the first song.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='941447' date='Aug 31 2010, 09:35 PM'][url="http://www.dv247.com/microphones/quik-lok-a-399-straight-mic-stand-with-a-round-base--2088"]http://www.dv247.com/microphones/quik-lok-...ound-base--2088[/url] ?[/quote]
That looks like the one he destroyed at the last gig.

[quote name='acidbass' post='941220' date='Aug 31 2010, 06:46 PM']The Rebel ones are great, although they have legs as opposed to a round base I believe.[/quote]
Some of the other Rebel stands have round bases. I think most of what they do is custom-built so it shouldn't be too difficult to come up with something that looks good and is rugged enough to last more than 30 minutes.

Thanks to everybody for their suggestions.

I'll be getting in touch with Rebel as soon as I'm not quite so busy with work and let you know how we get on.

I note you are from Nottingham. Well I am only a few miles away and I want to see this guy perform. Where are you going to be "soon".
My only advice without seeing him would be purchase a Strait Jacket. The description in the Oxford English Dictionary goes something like this. "Strait Jacket.Strong garment put on maniacs to confine arms"
Grandad Paul.

[quote name='Buzz' post='943779' date='Sep 2 2010, 06:47 PM']BigRedX, I have but one question:

Do you occasionally get hit by said mic stand when the singer is "putting on a show"?

If yes, I'd be worried for my safety if you supply him with a bigger, beefer bit of steel to throw around.[/quote]
I've not been hit yet, although that might be down to the fact that the stands tend to disintegrate after a couple of numbers!

Actually Mr Venom is pretty good at spotting where the other members of the band are and keeping clear of them. Also it's not as though the rest of us are hiding at the back of the stage...

Grandad Paul, I've you're serious our next gig is at The Maze on Friday 17th September.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='943926' date='Sep 2 2010, 08:49 PM']I've not been hit yet, although that might be down to the fact that the stands tend to disintegrate after a couple of numbers!

Actually Mr Venom is pretty good at spotting where the other members of the band are and keeping clear of them. Also it's not as though the rest of us are hiding at the back of the stage...

Grandad Paul, I've you're serious our next gig is at The Maze on Friday 17th September.[/quote]
I've played at The Maze! I fear for you, if so far you've managed to not get hit by keeping your distance...

Zach

[quote name='BigRedX' post='943926' date='Sep 2 2010, 08:49 PM']I've not been hit yet, although that might be down to the fact that the stands tend to disintegrate after a couple of numbers!

Grandad Paul, I've you're serious our next gig is at The Maze on Friday 17th September.[/quote]

I am deadly serious. Just one question. Is it the sort of place a 63 yearold would be made welcome?
Grandad Paul.

At pro audio we use k&m stands and they've lasted our hire department years of serious gigging??

Maybe something like this?

[url="http://www.k-m.de/en/products/category/starline-30/mode/productview/product/26010-300-87/new/0/?no_cache=1&hidesndlevel=0&tx_hacatalogue_pi1%5Bsearchfor%5D="]http://www.k-m.de/en/products/category/sta...5Bsearchfor%5D=[/url]