Why become a member? ×

PA Power amp as bass amp?

Spacehog

I'm quite new to the bass scene and don't yet have a rig.
Myself and a guitarist are putting together a metal band so i figure i'll need plenty
of power.
I was thinking of the possibility of using a preamp like a Hartke VXL and then going straight into
a cheap but powerful power amp like this one [url="http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Skytec-Stereo-Power-Amp-1000W/BID"]power amp[/url]

is this a good idea?

Cheers
Spacehog

If you're playing metal and downtuning then it's not uncommon to ask for 1000 Watts from your amp to handle the lows. The only issue is that you'll also have to pair this 1000 Watt amp with a cabinet that can take that kind of thermal power and speaker excursion! Don't forget to factor in the cabinet when you're looking at a rig as you can go quite barmy with Wattage for relatively cheap when looking at amplification, but you'll struggle to find a cheap cabinet to match.

I use a 1000W power amp - but I tend to only use one channel. For me, 500W with a decent cab is more than enough to drown out most drummers - so that's fine. :)

I'm not sure about "cheap and powerful" though. Creating loud bass frequencies draws a lot of power and creates a lot of heat. Most PAs are designed for full range amplification and don't really like doing hard work ALL the time. They get hot, the transistors melt and the power supplies pack up.

you might get lucky with one but these things are cheap for a reason.

Save yerself the bother and get a 2nd hand peavey or something British from the late 80s / early 90s. Something with a bit of weight to it. If it's still going - more than likely it'll carry on.

In answer to your question, you can use power amps for bass.

As has been said, 1000 watts is only 500 watts a side at 4 ohm and you need power to drive low notes properly, with definition, clarity and headroom. Also you don't have to use all your 1000 watts at once!

This amp looks cheap and nasty though! There are probably better power amps in the BC For Sale section. On the other hand, as this is your first rig it might make more sense to start with a 300-500 watt amp and a 410 cab, and see where you need to go from there.

[quote name='peted' post='940621' date='Aug 31 2010, 08:55 AM']If you're playing metal and downtuning then it's not uncommon to ask for 1000 Watts from your amp to handle the lows...[/quote]

Bloody hell!. Dont mind me I'm just a grumpy git who hates having to leave his local with bleeding ears coz some muppets are using a PA more suitable for a large warehouse. :) :lol: :rolleyes:

The thing that a lot of people seem to forget with using large power amps is that you don't need to use the whole chuffin lot! :)

The amazing thing is that amps can turn down as well as up and whether you do it from the preamp or the power amp you are the one in control of your volume. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys, i guess it's possible but not advisable :)
I recently played through a Peavey Tour 700 in a shop and it was awesome, and i guess not a bad price £400.
The rehersal room has a Behringer bx4500 which after about an hour of tinkering sounded ok so could be a cheap option?

cheers

Spacehog

[quote name='Spacehog' post='941659' date='Sep 1 2010, 06:42 AM']Thanks guys, i guess it's possible but not advisable :)
I recently played through a Peavey Tour 700 in a shop and it was awesome, and i guess not a bad price £400.
The rehersal room has a Behringer bx4500 which after about an hour of tinkering sounded ok so could be a cheap option?

cheers

Spacehog[/quote]

I use the BX4500 most of the time. Its only really suitable for small rooms and stage monitoring, your sound will quickly get drowned out by the rest of the band if you don't also have PA support, even in an average pub (450W? Marketing bollocks I'm afraid. Its more like 200W). Given the power requirement opinions on downtuning/metal above (which I have no experience of I'd have to say) I'd seriously doubt that it will handle your needs. Plus it sounds cack without a decent preamp. You WILL be regretting buying one it on your first gig. (unless you start playing slow blues at jukebox levels in small pubs :rolleyes:)

[quote name='Spacehog' post='941659' date='Sep 1 2010, 05:42 AM']Thanks guys, i guess it's possible but not advisable :)

cheers

Spacehog[/quote]

I think it is totally advisable. Just get a second hand Peavey power amp, and a reasonable pre. The Raxx pres are pretty damn good, and come up for less than £200, 1000w of peavey are sometimes less than £100, with those 'less's you can get a rack case for them (Shockwave has an ideal one going). Even cheaper way would be a Sansamp/BDI21 into the power amp, will sort you.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='941965' date='Sep 1 2010, 12:48 PM']I think it is totally advisable. Just get a second hand Peavey power amp, and a reasonable pre. The Raxx pres are pretty damn good, and come up for less than £200, 1000w of peavey are sometimes less than £100, with those 'less's you can get a rack case for them (Shockwave has an ideal one going). Even cheaper way would be a Sansamp/BDI21 into the power amp, will sort you.[/quote]

Yep totally advisable. Those "cheap and powerful" ones aren't though :)

Getcha lips round of these [url="http://www.newstagesound.com/product_info.php?cPath=104&products_id=485&osCsid=c734bf18133c4571920801bc06e17ba6"]CA Audio ST600[/url]

It's what I've got. It's immense.

[quote name='Spacehog' post='940591' date='Aug 31 2010, 05:24 AM']I was thinking of the possibility of using a preamp like a Hartke VXL and then going straight into
a cheap but powerful power amp like this one [url="http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Skytec-Stereo-Power-Amp-1000W/BID"]power amp[/url][/quote]

Why go power amp? For not a lot more than those 2 new you could get a new Hartke LH500 - 500W into 4 ohms. I would have thought this would be enough power.... Keep an eye out for a second hand one in the classifieds and get it for even more of a bargain!