Why become a member? ×

Who would you like to see

Nate

It's more of a research kinda thing. I work for a site called showmehowtoplay.com and we're wrying to find named bass players to do masterclasses etc...

Who (UK wise) would you like to see? I've got quite a short list...

If you tell me who they are and who they play/played with or if they're just session dudes i'd be very grateful!

Thank u kindly!!!

N

[quote name='Nate' post='106365' date='Dec 19 2007, 09:57 AM']It's more of a research kinda thing. I work for a site called showmehowtoplay.com and we're wrying to find named bass players to do masterclasses etc...

Who (UK wise) would you like to see? I've got quite a short list...

If you tell me who they are and who they play/played with or if they're just session dudes i'd be very grateful!

Thank u kindly!!!

N[/quote]

Norman Watt-Roy:

Blockheads
Wilko Johnson
Millions of sessions including 'Two Tribes'

Just thought of another one!

Paul Westwood - Barbara Thompson and a host of others as well as author of a great tutorial book (not sure of the title). I had a lesson with him once and, whilst he is no gunslinger, he is a great teacher as well as a good player. May be fit for purpose.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='106399' date='Dec 19 2007, 11:14 AM']Just thought of another one!

Paul Westwood - Barbara Thompson and a host of others as well as author of a great tutorial book (not sure of the title). I had a lesson with him once and, whilst he is no gunslinger, he is a great teacher as well as a good player. May be fit for purpose.[/quote]

Ahhh!! Speaking of Barbara... Dil Katz!! What a bass player! He played on the Mother Earth album amongst others. If I played fretless, I'd wanna sound like that!

[quote name='dood' post='106580' date='Dec 19 2007, 05:02 PM']Ahhh!! Speaking of Barbara... Dil Katz!! What a bass player! He played on the Mother Earth album amongst others. If I played fretless, I'd wanna sound like that![/quote]

I rang him up for bass lessons a few years ago out of the blue. He politely declined and wondered how I'd got his number.

[quote name='bremen' post='106382' date='Dec 19 2007, 10:13 AM']Norman Watt-Roy:

Blockheads
Wilko Johnson
Millions of sessions including 'Two Tribes'[/quote]

+1

Absolutely +1

Saw Wilko & Norman at the HalfMoon in Putney two weeks ago. Forget technique and timing, just go with the commitment, the energy, the FUN of Norman on bass.

Unforgettable. That's what he is.

[quote name='lowdown' post='106596' date='Dec 19 2007, 05:38 PM']Gets my shout... :)

Garry[/quote]

[quote name='The Funk' post='106601' date='Dec 19 2007, 05:41 PM']I rang him up for bass lessons a few years ago out of the blue. He politely declined and wondered how I'd got his number.[/quote]

Cool! and COOL! ;o)

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='106917' date='Dec 20 2007, 10:04 AM']Dill Katz - best name in jazz.

Nice player; I have Thompson's double live LP somewhere (vinyl again!!) - great sound, nice feel.[/quote]

I have it too! It's the one where side 4 of the LP is essentially a drum solo! ;o) I have one or two of the albums.. nothing really new and I have no idea what they are doing now.. but still appreciate it greatly.