Why become a member? ×

Squier Classic Vibe '50's Precision. Lake placid blue with tele headstock.

cameltoe

Hello!

I'm not really sure what to do with this beauty. I love it to bits, it's light, loud, and looks awesome, but I'm having a bit of trouble with the lacuered finish on the neck.

I posted in the 'Repairs' section about ways to possibly sidestep this issue, but in the meantime I thought I'd see if I could perhaps find a trade for one of the Classic Vibe basses that don't have the heavily lacquered neck.

If you don't know anything about the Classic Vibe series, you really should. They are exceptional basses for the money, and many people rate them as highly as MIM models (some rate them higher!)

I have performed a couple of 'upgrades' - a Wiring upgrade kit, (Vintage cloth wiring, CTS pots, switchcraft jack and Orange Drop cap) along with a Jap '51 reissue pickup (nice and growly) I still have the standard p'up though.

I also moved the thumbrest/tugbar from under the pickup (where it's useless) to above the pickup, as if you've played one of these basses you might have noticed they lack a decent thumb anchor.

I'm only interested in trading against another Classic Vibe Precision, i.e the Sonic Blue '60's or the Fiesta Red. I may consider an MIM, but I'm really hoping someone will have a 60's CV P they want to swap.

If you don't believe how good they are just ask Grand Wazoo. Or check [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=88703&hl=Myself+classic+vibe"]This[/url]

pics

Edited by cameltoe

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='940109' date='Aug 30 2010, 05:09 PM']Its not a precision, its just a 50's Tele bass i think![/quote]
Actually it is a P, based on the Fender '53-4 Precision. :rolleyes:

I'd love to know what the "wiring upgrade" is as these have the simplest loom know to man. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='940125' date='Aug 30 2010, 05:25 PM']Actually it is a P, based on the Fender '53-4 Precision. :rolleyes:

I'd love to know what the "wiring upgrade" is as these have the simplest loom know to man. :)[/quote]

Yes they do. But the components can be upgraded from the cheap parts they come with to US quality stuff.

[url="http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/bass_electricalwiringkits.htm"]http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/bass_el...lwiringkits.htm[/url]

I'm surprised you haven't heard of this! Definitely more substantial than the hair-width wires that were in there.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='940144' date='Aug 30 2010, 05:45 PM']Very nice, but surely it's lake placid blue not sonic blue?[/quote]

Yeah of course, I want to trade for possibly the Sonic blue '60's one, so I had that in my head. (as you can see in the post!)

[quote name='spaz91' post='940195' date='Aug 30 2010, 06:38 PM']I know you have your eyes set on another Squier but just in case: I'm after trading my Spector Q4, would you be interested?

(Also the 60's Precision will have the same lacquered neck.)[/quote]

I'm hoping the finish won't be as thick, as it'll have a rosewood board which will be kept unfinished.

Erm, never tried a Spector. No idea what this will sound or feel like.

As you said I am really after a trade for the 'other' CV series P basses. Having said that, you never know what you're going to like until you try, but unfortunately you're a bit far from me to try the bass out! I'd be completely blind on this one. Looks nice though.

Not near Cornwall are you?