Why become a member? ×

Veillette Citron

TheGreek

[size=2][center]:rolleyes: I've recently taken possession of a[b] Veillette Citron [/b]Bass - [i]she came all the way from California [/i]- after being held ransom by those bastards at Customs & Excise :) (ransom £199.13) she arrived and is now living safely with me..The company apparently made fewer than 500 instruments of which less than 300 were basses. I was chatting with another bassplayer recently who knew nothing about them. [b]Tina Weymouth from Talking Heads [/b]used one on [b]"Stop Making Sense" [/b] I put this up as one of the best basses I've ever played - and I own a Jaydee Supernatural and Warwick Dolphin amongst others..

My question is does anybody else know of one in the UK?[/center][/size]
[center]here she is[/center]

Edited by TheGreek

Hi Geek

That's a relatively rare and very lovely bass you have there. Congratulations.

Joe Veillette and Harvey Citron no longer work together, having amicably gone their separate ways a good few years ago. They are both still busy luthiers however and there's even a few Veillette basses in the UK these days (a couple owned by Gareth Morgan who's often seen around these parts). How do I know all this? Well I'm Joe Veillette's UK distributor.

You can get an idea of what Joe is up to these days at www.veilletteguitars.com

Regards
Phil

[quote name='philw' post='937571' date='Aug 26 2010, 09:44 PM']Hi Geek

Joe Veillette and Harvey Citron no longer work together, having amicably gone their separate ways a good few years ago. They are both still busy luthiers however and there's even a few Veillette basses in the UK these days (a couple owned by Gareth Morgan who's often seen around these parts). How do I know all this? Well I'm Joe Veillette's UK distributor.

Regards
Phil[/quote]

Hey Phil, it's The Greek, not Geek - would make an introduction confusing - Phil, the Greek (no not the rude bloke married to the Queen)!

Regards
Phil[/quote]

I wish you hadn't posted that link Phil, those are some of the finest looking basses ever and I want one NOW !!!
The fact that I probably can't afford em and they would be wasted on someone of my 'talents' makes no difference :)

[quote name='grumble' post='937643' date='Aug 26 2010, 10:44 PM']I wish you hadn't posted that link Phil, those are some of the finest looking basses ever and I want one NOW !!!
The fact that I probably can't afford em and they would be wasted on someone of my 'talents' makes no difference :)[/quote]

There are some exceptional looking basses on there - and that's from someone who doesn't usually suffer from GAS (at least not in this forum's meaning)!

[quote name='TheGreek' post='937490' date='Aug 26 2010, 08:37 PM'][size=2][center]:rolleyes: I've recently taken possession of a[b] Veillette Citron [/b]Bass - [i]she came all the way from California [/i]- after being held ransom by those bastards at Customs & Excise :) (ransom £199.13) she arrived and is now living safely with me..The company apparently made fewer than 500 instruments of which less than 300 were basses. I was chatting with another bassplayer recently who knew nothing about them. [b]Tina Weymouth from Talking Heads [/b]used one on [b]"Stop Making Sense" [/b] I put this up as one of the best basses I've ever played - and I own a Jaydee Supernatural and Warwick Dolphin amongst others..

My question is does anybody else know of one in the UK?[/center][/size]
[center]here she is[/center][/quote]

Beautiful bass, I've loved Tina's vibe on Stop Making Sense that I have always been on the look out. If you don't mind, how much was it? Where did you find it, I might keep a look out!

from my ebay observations going back a looong time, UK people regularily get VC's - although it might be more guitars than basses.
other users included the duranduran guy, the bowie hero's guy, the bebop deluxe guitar player, and an irish guitar lord. google is an amazing thing.

yes, yours is lovely, and Harvey & Joe are both very helpful people.

[quote name='Machines' post='937548' date='Aug 26 2010, 09:24 PM']Hi TheGreek, just to let you know you don't need to format your post to the center :).

Looks like a nice bass - has a Jaydee vibe to it. Certainly not seen any more on this forum but a few on talkbass, could you be one of the only UK owners ? :rolleyes:.[/quote]

[center]don't you think it looks better? or is it just my OCD??[/center]

Regards
Phil[/quote]
:rolleyes: I've left messages at the Veillette site with no response - Harvey on the other hand replied the same day - what a great guy!! - looking forward to hearing from Joe :)

[quote name='faceman' post='937655' date='Aug 26 2010, 10:57 PM']Beautiful bass, I've loved Tina's vibe on Stop Making Sense that I have always been on the look out. If you don't mind, how much was it? Where did you find it, I might keep a look out![/quote]

[center]Thanks...She came from [b][i]California[/i][/b] after the family of the previous owner sold it on Ebay following his death. I paid £888.12 (inc P&P) but she was kidnapped by those bastards at Customs & Excise who held her to ransom (£199.13) before she could make it into my loving arms...

:lol: :P :) :o :rolleyes: :o [/center]
I found her following a tip off on Talkbass - there's another one being advertised on that site but she's be messed about with - somebody swapped one of the pups for a Fender Jazz pup - I also found a black one in a store in the States but I think "RichEagle" from that site bought her. If you type in "Veillette Citron Bass for sale" on google both come up...
Edited by TheGreek

There was a Veilette Piccolo on sale here on basschat a few months ago. Have to admit, it looked gorgeous.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=61359&hl=Veillette"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;hl=Veillette[/url]

Edited by silddx

[quote name='TheGreek' post='938224' date='Aug 27 2010, 04:10 PM']:rolleyes: I've left messages at the Veillette site with no response - Harvey on the other hand replied the same day - what a great guy!! - looking forward to hearing from Joe :)[/quote]

Hi Greek (and apologies for missing the "r" last time),

Sorry you didn't get a reply from Joe. I have to say that's unusual – he's usually very happy to talk guitars, but of course he's only human and the odd email might have been missed. What was it you asked? I'll find out for you.

Phil

[quote name='silddx' post='938260' date='Aug 27 2010, 05:00 PM']There was a Veilette Piccolo on sale here on basschat a few months ago. Have to admit, it looked gorgeous.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=61359&hl=Veillette"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;hl=Veillette[/url][/quote]

That was Gareth Morgan's instrument for a while. I think it's at the Gallery now.

Phil

[quote name='philw' post='938819' date='Aug 28 2010, 03:06 PM']Hi Greek (and apologies for missing the "r" last time),

Sorry you didn't get a reply from Joe. I have to say that's unusual – he's usually very happy to talk guitars, but of course he's only human and the odd email might have been missed. What was it you asked? I'll find out for you.

Phil[/quote]

Hi Phil

[size=3][center]Bloody technology..I just finished responding to your reply when the computer crashed and I lost the lot!!! Here we go again...

:rolleyes: I was hoping that Joe could give me whatever additional information that he could about my baby..she is known as "[b]237[/b]" and I was hoping that he might be able to tell me who her original lover was and whether she had a celebrity background, etc.

:lol: Harvey had told me she is made of Maple but had little additional info, unsurprisingly, as they did close the company nearly 30 years ago...

:) Can Joe tell me when she was made - her birthday perhaps (when she left the factory)?

:lol: There seems to be some confusion/ambiguity about Nos - I'm told VC built "[b]about 500 instruments in total[/b]" of which "[b]about 250[/b]" were basses. Can anybody be a bit more specific?

:o She does suffer with a bit of fret buzz on the E string at frets 2/3/4 - should I Just see my local luthier or should I see somebody like yourself?

:rolleyes: Does he have anything that could be (autographed and) framed to make her feel more at home? :P

:o There isn't much info on the web so anything he can tell me would be a bonus.. ;) [/center][/size]

[quote name='faceman' post='937655' date='Aug 26 2010, 10:57 PM']Beautiful bass, I've loved Tina's vibe on Stop Making Sense that I have always been on the look out. If you don't mind, how much was it? Where did you find it, I might keep a look out![/quote]
[b]http://www.thelowend.net/thelowend/used-basses.html[/b]
[b]http://www.dawksound.com/vc.html[/b]
Check out these links..[b]first one is a black one for sale for $1499 in early August [/b]- don't know if they still have it - beware of those bastards at Customs and Excise who will add their bit...
second one is an [b]8 string [/b]- does look nice - he says one of only 5 - no price listed - contact him on the link

Edited by TheGreek

[quote name='walbassist' post='939503' date='Aug 29 2010, 06:00 PM']Not the best quality picture, but here are my two Veillettes. They are, quite simply, perfect.

[/quote]

I've said it before but I'll say it again - they are far & away the best looking single cut basses I've ever seen.

Greek,

I've not forgotten your questions... Oh, hang on, I've just been joined by my daughter's hamster on the desk and he's taking over the typing....

' h uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu..i.............mmmm;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;ok99999------------------99999999999999;;;;;;..===lllmgmg

Ok, normal service resumed. I've been in touch with Joe so I'm sure I'll have some answers for you in a few days.

Phil