Why become a member? ×

Brilliant POP bass lines?

Annoying Twit

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='936674' date='Aug 26 2010, 02:07 AM']+1 on Kylie's Fever tour - some killing bass lines there esp Kids Are Alright, Love At First Sight and Come Into My World

Open Letter To A Landlord - Living Colour
Seal - Self titled album (Doug Wimbish ripping the book up on that one)

Some Lisa Stansfield stuff is good and pretty much anything with Paul Young and Pino on No Parlez[/quote]

Yes.

[quote name='Spoombung' post='936852' date='Aug 26 2010, 10:12 AM']I've always thought this was a fine Pop bassline

[/quote]

Yes.

[quote name='woodster' post='936222' date='Aug 25 2010, 06:24 PM']Jimmy Nail's Ain't No Doubt has always been a guilty pleasure of mine..

Great line from Guy Pratt....[/quote]

How about SEBs "Murder On The Dancefloor" - another perfectly crafted GP poptastic bass groove!

Cheers
Dave

[quote name='dave.c' post='937045' date='Aug 26 2010, 12:38 PM']I'd go for pretty much anything on Joe Jacksons 'Look Sharp!' album, bassist Graham Maby, just great![/quote]

+1
Many Elvis Costello songs
Many Madness songs
Gary Numan albums - Dance Mick Karn – Assassin Pino- Warriors Joe Hubbard all the tracks have great bass lines
The first 2 Paul Young albums with Pino.
Get here Oleta Adames with Pino.

[quote name='TommyK' post='935972' date='Aug 25 2010, 02:05 PM']Lets get Retarded/Started - Blackeyed peas. I reckon it is near perfect, Bass wise. I absolutely love playing along to it. Just wish i could get my band to be brave enough to have a bash at it!![/quote]

Same here. Im always playing this bass line at sound checks and while the drummer joins in the other two dont really want to know. We will never play it live.

Real shame.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='938310' date='Aug 27 2010, 06:01 PM']I must admit I love that version no have the album but haven't listened to it for years.
I never realised it was guy playing though, I'll have to dig it out.[/quote]

Just been having a listen on you tube to some Jimmy Nail...
and he has down some good stuff.

Garry

Ok here we go:

Poison Arrow - ABC, I'll Tumble 4 Ya - Culture Club, Club Country - The Associates, Glittering Prize - Simple Minds, I Wanna be Adored - Stone Roses, Paint Me Down - Spandau Ballet, My Own Way - Duran Duran

If like me you are now the wrong side of 40 you should remember most of these.... ;-)

May have been mentioned before on youtube links but I love the bass line on "Starlight" by The Supermen Lovers and more recently I've loved the bass parts on "Left My Heart In Tokyo" by Mini Viva (total one hit wonders for sure) and also there's a very cool disco-y type bass part on Dizzee Rascal's latest tune. Cheesy chart guff I know but reassuring to know someone out there is putting good bass lines into at least a couple of the mass produced nonsense out there........OMG I sound like my dad!

[quote name='mrtcat' post='939020' date='Aug 28 2010, 07:43 PM']May have been mentioned before on youtube links but I love the bass line on "Starlight" by The Supermen Lovers[/quote]
Oh good call on that one. Thats typically my soundcheck choon, how could I forget it? Oh yeah, I haven't done a sound check for 18 months...

...anyway let me add then:

Room 5 feat. Oliver Cheatham - Make Luv
The Ones - Flawless

and a couple of oldies:
Janet Jackson - Black Cat
Miami Sound Machine - Conga

and Black Velvet - Alannah Myles needs a mention too

[quote name='Spoombung' post='938174' date='Aug 27 2010, 03:37 PM']Terrific catchy bassline

[/quote]

YES!! Love this Bass line - especially the cover version by Gwen Stefani and her merry men. Really nice bass line to play too!

OK, so not *strictly* a 'brilliant' bass line - certainly in the pocket on the original version of the track - but when in the hands of a Bass MONSTER such as Mick Karn, this version makes it in to my top ten favourite songs ever I reckon!

Oh - and Brian May on guitar is just.. just... well, I can't hear the sax version ever again! ha! :wub:

[quote name='dave.c' post='937045' date='Aug 26 2010, 12:38 PM']I'd go for pretty much anything on Joe Jacksons 'Look Sharp!' album, bassist Graham Maby, just great![/quote]
Oh yes! Or 'I'm the Man', for that matter!, primarily;

Fools in love
I'm the man
Got the time

Done on an Ibanez- either a Roadstar or Roadster by all accounts. Dunno whether I'd call it "Pop", but if I didn't, I don't know what I would call it!

I'm tempted to chuck in "Babooshka" or "You Can Call me Al", but I'm not sure that they're Pop either.
Otherwise, a +1 to "Slip-slidin' Away" and (the inevitable) "Sledgehammer"

[quote name='lowdown' post='938316' date='Aug 27 2010, 06:08 PM']Just been having a listen on you tube to some Jimmy Nail...
and he has down some good stuff.

Garry[/quote]

Yeah, i liked the stuff he did. I also like his vocals on The flame still burns in Still crazy, very moving.

Ok, cheeky one here... It's a live fretless solo in a song that was originally recorded with a synth bass, I believe.

I just think it's a wicked fretless tone and a nice tastey solo!

fast forward to 4 minutes for the solo if you aren't a fan of the track!