Why become a member? ×

rig/combo advice - Flea tone

paul, the

'lo all,

My friend is after a new amp; the whole shabang for around £400. He's playing a J-type passive bass and is after a Chilis tone. He gave me a song that he particularly likes the tone in. I'll find out what it was and edit it in.

I was thinking a Hartke head and 2.5xl.. something along those lines. I'm panicking a bit because he's looking at a new 115 Trace Ellliot combo when I think 10" speakers would be better suited for the tone he's after.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. The potential for gigging (wattage wise) would be useful but he really just wants to improve on his Indie IB200 (anyone have any idea what that would sell for?)

I'll add more information as I get it.

Thanking you kindly,

paul.

Edited by paul, the

A Gallien-Krueger head into that Hartke 2.5XL would sound pretty good. Only trouble is they'd cost a bit more than £400 new and I've already sold mine.

G-K 400RB and Hartke 2.5XL did make a good combination. Clean, warm, punchy, growly. New it would cost him just under £600 but he should be able to pick them up secondhand within his budget.

He may use GK on the road - but the chances are he prob did something completely different in the studio or the engineer whacked the DI'd input through a load of compressors and effects on ProTools or the like. He's got a very compressed sound - the preshape on the Trace Elliot stuff will get you somewhere near. My G&L Tribute's got a great slap sound - pair that up with a Trace and you're in Flea heaven.

[quote name='gilmour' post='105417' date='Dec 17 2007, 04:36 PM']Yeah Flea uses GK stuff.

Interestingly - he recorded power of equality and the whole of that album using a Wal, rather than his iconic stingray.[/quote]

Yeh he did use a Wal on the album but he defintely used a stingray as well, a stingray 5 to be precise, one of the only times he's ever used one methinks, check it out on the dvd funky monks, and the song of the same name.