Why become a member? ×

phil jones suitcase and ext cab

munkonthehill

hola all,

I posted this in the amp section but have had no reply, so hoping in here it will get more of a hit......

I have did a search on the PJB gear and the info is a tad old and a bit inconclusive.

So now its been on the market for a while and hopefully had a wider road test by the forum, I was wondering what folk think.

So if you dont know me, I play rock/blues in a crackin 3 piece. We play loud and dirty (in small to medium gigs).

Im in the market for lightweight and portable rig and I may be moving my stingray on for the suitcase and ext cab.

So before I go for a road test I was hoping for some insight.

Cheers
Steven

This will not answer your question as such, but does give this a bump :)

I considered, but never got around to trying the rig you are talking about for similar style when I was looking around for something more portable a few years back. I ended up getting the MB CMD121H and it is great, good level, certainly sufficient for onstage monitoring and small to medium gigs with a feed to the PA for a little help on larger gigs (not that it's ever needed it!!!)

These small, light amps have got so much better in recent years & are definitely worth a look, but as for the PJB, sorry not sure but have a bump anyway

Edited by WalMan

There was a lot of discussion on this subject here before, but I can only recommend the Minimark, weight is 10kg, the shape is perfect for one hand transportation, the thing is loud beyond believe on its own, has xlr out, and with an extension cab it is awesome. If you can get you hands on one anywhere, compare it. I take mine pretty much everywhere except bathroom kitchen and bed :) and I never have any worries amp-wise.

If you want hi fi then PJB good
If you want down and dirty PJB not so good
Friend uses one with I think it is a 4b extension cab seems ok for small gigs but the sound is to clinical for my ears given that I use a $$ Warwick into an Eden wt500 Bridged into a barefaced compact clinical was never something I was looking for.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='935267' date='Aug 24 2010, 08:15 PM']I'm another one who is going to say markbass. They're really good and ridiculously light for their size too. I personally really like the attack that they give for that rock sort of sound as well.[/quote]

Yip EH i am really swaying towards Markbass stuff, ideally would like a combo 500watts+

Or the orange bass terror with its 210 cab that goes with it,,,,,if i get the cash with the sale of my stingray I will nip along and have a wee in-store demo before taking it hime hahahaha

those new ampeg combos look sweet too,,,6oowatts of ampegness for about 700bucks,,,,sweeeeeeeeeeet

PJB defintely not suited to loud and dirty blues / rock. I used one for theatre work and it was great for that - very clean and surprisingly loud without an extension cab - but doesn't do "dirty".

I'd suggest an Orange Terror Bass with a cab of your choice (bear in mind the compact Orange cabs don't have tweeters if you like a bit of top end in your sound).

I've tried the Briefcase. Not at all loud and I didn't like the horrid clinical tone either. I tried the Markbass and liked it, a lot. Really nice tones with my Warwick.

However, I ended up deciding that any amp was too big and unportable and got a POD. Best thing I ever did.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='938321' date='Aug 27 2010, 06:19 PM']Well i asked on this very forum if i should be in a covers band and also whether i could just use a line out module instead of a bass amp and everyone said i would need monitoring so that's why i got one lolz.[/quote]
Well everyone was talking sh*t then weren't they :)

You need to hear yourself but most venues have monitors. I've played gigs without any monitor, just hearing the FoH, and although it's not great fun, it's doable. It's rare that happens though, but I don't know the sort of places you play. I was thinking of getting a small powered monitor for the stage, but it's not yet proved necessary.

[quote name='silddx' post='938326' date='Aug 27 2010, 06:25 PM']Well everyone was talking sh*t then weren't they :)

You need to hear yourself but most venues have monitors. I've played gigs without any monitor, just hearing the FoH, and although it's not great fun, it's doable. It's rare that happens though, but I don't know the sort of places you play. I was thinking of getting a small powered monitor for the stage, but it's not yet proved necessary.[/quote]

Well i dunno, after spending all the money on a bass speaker cabinet i might not take it after all, since i saw the size of my room at uni lolz. It does complete the setup in my (home) room of (not working) guitar amp, drum kit and bass amp though lolz.

Edited by EdwardHimself