Jump to content

gary mac

Moderator
  • Posts

    6,948
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by gary mac

  1. 19 hours ago, ikay said:

    I saw the Chris Allsop fret crowning file and did wonder about that. I guess it would be a quicker job with one of these and more consistent.  Do you use one of these yourself and how do you find it? My frets are 2.7mm medium jumbo so assume I'd need the 2.5mm file, would that be right?

     

    I do use them myself and have a couple of different sizes. 2.5mm would probably be the best choice for you. He would, I'm sure advise you. 

    He is offering 10% off at the moment , so I ordered another diamond fret levelling file yesterday and it arrived this morning. 

     

    19 hours ago, ikay said:

     

     

     

  2. I use fret erasers just about every day of the week and wouldn't want to be without them. I don't use them in isolation though, first off will be an emery board, then sandpaper: 240, 320, 400, 600 and 800. Then the fret erasers: coarse, medium, fine and super fine. Then metal polish and a buff up. Job done.

    • Like 1
  3. 37 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

    I use OnSong. There may be other apps that do the same, but I like the way I can just scan any document and import it straight into OnSong. Multi page documents are just as easy and you can turn a page just by tapping the screen (I use a Bluetooth pedal).

     

    Recently I’ve been creating the documents electronically and importing them in, so need need for any printing. I used to like hard copies at home as backup’s, but I think I’m over that now 😀.

     

    If you get OnSong, I’ll be happy to talk you through anything you get stuck on. Although you shouldn’t as it’s very easy.

     

    The best thing is it’s all free. OnSong and the HP scan App both have free versions. There is a paid version of OnSong, but I’ve never needed it yet.

    I was put off downloading the free one, as many of the reviews claimed that it is pretty much unuseable. I was planning on going for the version that requires payment. You may have saved me £30:drinks:

  4. Before ordering I would hold off and check whether you can get full size pots through the F hole.  It might be that you can get them installed through the pick up rout but I'm not sure. I know that with some of the Epiphone guitars that I've worked on, installation was through the f hole aperture and that can be a tight squeeze.

    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1
  5. 10 hours ago, Kev said:

    Yeah, really hope he waived any fee when he just gave the broken bass back?!

    Glad it's getting somewhere now, but fill in the massive blank for me;  what on earth caused three preamps to break??  I have been using preamps in basses for 15 years and have never had one fail.

    Can't really answer that Kev, but at times during this project I was thinking that the bass was possessed.😕

     

    One morning I came down to start working on it and overnight it had rejected the string tree that, had been living happily on it since its construction. 

    • Haha 1
  6. 3 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

    I take the bass away from Andy and call up @gary mac. Foolishly he accepts the commission.

     

    Do you feel like taking up the story from here Gary?

    .......just when I thought that I could put this behind me and get back to repairing well behaved basses and guitars. 

     

    Ok. 

    After Jack left it with me, I cleared my bench and set about having a look at the electronics. 

    It looked like someone who shouldn't be left alone with tools had been at it. I tried to test it out with a multi meter and make sense of what should have gone where but it soon became obvious that it was too far gone to be able to save.

    As Jack mentioned, the bridge was a horrid thing, like something you would find on Fred Flintstone's bass, if he had one. So a more standard Fender style replacement was found and installed in the correct position. 

    I then ordered a set of graph tech saddles with the built in pickups, a graph tech preamp and battery box etc. The saddles arrived within a couple of days, the preamp didn't. It was coming from Canada and eventually turned up about twelve weeks later. I set about installing it and although a fiddly job, it went smoothly enough. I restrung the bass, made all the necessary adjustments and plugged it in to my little combo. It sounded lovely, for all of five minutes and then the sound just fizzled out and died.😕

    After checking and rechecking all the connections, it still wasn't working. At this point I contacted, via email, Graph Tech's technical department in Canada. A very helpful chap then started offering advice and attempting a diagnosis. This was a painfully slow process, due to the different time zones. We went back and forth over a couple of weeks, until he could not come up with anything else for me to try. At this point he offered to send out a complete replacement FOC. 

    The replacement turned up very much more quickly than the previous one and I set about installing it. 

    I was almost dreading plugging in, as this bass had now been through four preamps. Anyway, I nervously plugged in a cable, turned up the volume and it worked, just as importantly it stayed working and I was finally able to phone Jack with some good news. 

     

    I had spent a ridiculous amount of time on this job and had actually given up on keeping track of the hours spent. I was just happy that Jack would finally have the bass in his possession and be able to play and hear it.

     

    I'm now enjoying a very similar experience with the preamp in a Sire bass.....happy days.

     

     

     

     

    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1
    • Haha 3
×
×
  • Create New...